Eclipse info

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Eclipse info

Postby Birdie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:56 am

For those of you that might be interested, here is a neat site to show what time and how it will look in your area. The link is for Niagara Falls, you can change easily to another place. Enjoy!

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/ ... gara-falls
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Re: Eclipse info

Postby monik7 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:08 am

I'm so happy to see people interested in the eclipse. I can't wait. I'll be in Rexburg, ID.

Here's another site to find exact eclipse time: http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/so ... oom=3&LC=1 It has a Google map you can zoom in on to a particular area and you'll get a chart with times for the various phases "to the second" in that location. You do have to account for local time. For Pacific time, subract 7 hours from the times on the chart. For Mountain, subtract 6 hours. For Central, subtract 5 hours and for Eastern, subtract 4 hours. To try and make sure Sheila gets outside her door to view the eclipse (since she's directly in line with totality) I used this map to get times for her in Tetonia, ID.

Please, please everyone. Get out and enjoy this amazing event on August 21. If you're not in line with totality, it will still be possible to see it from 50% to total depending on your location. If you can, get your grandchildren out too either with you or encourage their parents to get them out. They're not too young to learn and perhaps begin a life-long interest in the sciences. From a very young age, through my dad's 33+ years with NASA and its precursor, and continuing today, I've become the crazy person I am today trying to spread the word about this absolutely amazing event. And believe me, I definitely think Sheila will attest to the "crazy person" reference. :lol:

Don't forget you need "eclipse glasses" that have a solar filter (look like old 3D movie glasses) to view the eclipse up to totality and after totality. You can take them off during the 2+ minutes of totality if you're lucky enough to be there.

Off my soap box now. :lol:
Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby avalen » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Thanks for the link, will get to see it from Vancouver according to the link. Although we will be at the hospital for dads procedure, will probably still see the dark through windows.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Liz » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:38 pm

Neat link, thanks.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby snowball » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:25 pm

laughing at Sandi's reference to crazy lady :lol: picked up some glasses at K-Mart but
they don't say they have the protective coating or whatever so guess I will go buy some others
just saw those reminded me I hadn't gotten any but want to be safe
sheila
snowball

Postby monik7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:54 am

snowball wrote:laughing at Sandi's reference to crazy lady :lol: picked up some glasses at K-Mart but
they don't say they have the protective coating or whatever so guess I will go buy some others
just saw those reminded me I hadn't gotten any but want to be safe
sheila

Eclipse glasses should say somewhere that they're for solar eclipse viewing. Regular sunglasses do not have this certification and are not suitable for eclipse viewing.
Sandi

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Postby MandysMom » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:53 am

There must be a certification number on the glasses or they should not be used. I'll try to find the number as they said on tv last week. What I found was look for CE and ISO certification on glasses. Be very careful as your vision depends on it.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby monik7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 am

MandysMom wrote:There must be a certification number on the glasses or they should not be used. I'll try to find the number as they said on tv last week. What I found was look for CE and ISO certification on glasses. Be very careful as your vision depends on it.
Velda

You're right Velda. I've seen that some have a little card attached. I don't know if they all have this card, but the CE and ISO certification has to be there. The ones that are cardboard may have it printed somewhere. They say they're making millions of them and I hope all those are certified. Just make sure you get the right ones and protect your eyes.
Sandi

monik7

Postby Queen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:13 am

I so wish I could watch, you gals do it for me, okay!!
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby monik7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:59 am

Queen wrote:I so wish I could watch, you gals do it for me, okay!!

Mickie, aren't you somewhere in Illinois? Is there some reason why you can't watch? I just used the Google map and spotted central Illinois which you had mentioned earlier as your current location. Where I checked will experience 94% of the sun covered by the moon. While that's not totality, it will still be impressive. People in that location WILL need the special glasses to view it. I hope you might have a little time to step outside and witness one of the most amazing events the universe has to offer the little earthlings. :lol: Maximum partial eclipse in the spot I checked a little northeast of Springfield will be approx. 1:18 pm.

monik7

Postby Queen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:07 pm

Sandi, I have ocular albinism (no pigment in the back of my eye at all, and only a ring of it on the outer part), so it's not safe for me under any circumstances. But I'm sure looking forward to seeing videos of it!
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby JudyJB » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:41 pm

I was reminded that there are ways of viewing the eclipse indirectly using a pinhole camera, one of the oldest inventions! Here are some directions: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/mak ... ector.html
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Redetotry » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:11 pm

I'm at the exact epicenter, well with in about 8 miles. Already buying supplies of food for several days as they have no idea how large the crowds will be but most predicting it is going to be massive. Requests are being sent to local churches asking if members will rent them floor or driveway space. I've heard of. homes being rented for as much as $8,000. We are invited to friends who live where they have open fields. It is all woods around our neighborhood. I think we can get there by a back road but have one HWY we need to cross...we'll see! The news this morning said besides the special glasses, to wear a ball hat and if you take your glasses off during the total eclipse to be SURE to have them back on BEFORE light starts to return. So set a timer :)
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby monik7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:45 pm

My daughter's in-laws are in St. Joseph, Missouri and apparently it's the same there BJ. They're directly in line with totality, hotels are full, airline flights into the area have gone up, homes are rented, etc. Her father-in-law has a couple empty properties in the city and is considering sending out several of his sons to collect parking fees since people will probably park there anyway. "Might as well make a few bucks," he said.
Sandi

monik7

Return to General Talk