Update on the battle

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Update on the battle

Postby MandysMom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:10 pm

Thought it is time for an update on us. As most know, my hubby, Mel, has been battling a very rare palate tumor since June of 2013. Now in 2nd recurrence battle. Having won over prostate cancer in the intervening time. Cancer has reappeared in his chest beginning late last year, growing unfortunately. After a chest biopsy and numerous scans, and being told maybe then, I got nothing, by a Fellow ( a Dr taking extra training beyond normal specialty training) several times, I got fed up and fired him. Due to encouragement of a couple of high school friends plus a friend of one who spent a career as a geneticist, I got Mel assigned to a attending physician at UCD who seems determined to help. We are in midst of testing, haing been approved for a two drug ( oral not iv) trial in its latter stages of testing. He needs a chest biopsy and EKG, plus a physical and blood tests before, hopefully within a week he will begin the chemo drugs. That will entail a all day stay at UCD to have blood drawn before and after first dose of the drugs, a total of ( yikes) 10 blood draws through the day! He will be on a cycle of taking the drugs at home or at the hospital,some days with being there for blood draws some not. A couple of weeks in he will have a scan which will either show the two largest tumors are either same, smaller or larger. As long as they are not a lot larger, the cycles of chemo will continue. The drugs are in 21 day cycles I think she said with a week off between. Fortunately at this dose, we are told most have only mild side effects such as nausea, without vomiting, and fatigue. We shall see. He remains hurting from arthritis and can't take conventional pain meds for that so takes powdered cannabis in his morning and evening puréed meals which he says makes that tolerable. What has been difficult is the cancer is irritating the lining of his chest where the tumor is growing ( not IN lungs but around them in pleural lining of chest) it is producing a lot of fluid which is pushing both on nerves and on his right lung. It's caused a lot of pain making sleep difficult but the new Dr ordered a Lidocaine patch to apply nightly for 12 hours ( longer produces tolerance so it won't work). It helps some, but pulmonary Dr plans tomorrow to drain some fluid to see if that reduces his pain by reducing the pressure. It will be a busy week as radiology tries to fit in the CT guided biopsy and the chest Dr does drainage and maybe a trip for physical and EKG and labs. Mel continues to putter around the house when he feels up to it and likes to help with cooking. He is maintaining his weight and looks pretty good but pain can wear you down. He is not ready to give up by any means. Neither am I. I have another oncologist standing by away from UCD if this Dr stumbles or this trial doesn't work. Sometime in all this I hope to get my van across town to the generator repair place to get that done. I want my van boondock capable for just in case. I have solar but with this our 23rd day this summer at or above 100 and at least 5 more 100 this week!! I would need generator for AC. I so hoped we could enjoy alittke trip like a weekend but just haven't done that because of his ongoing pain. The good news is, if these drugs (one taken first helps keep the cancer killing drug in his system longer, thus killing more cancer), help we will know soon as a few weeks, then he can stay on them indefinitely, as long as they seem to help. Also every month and year we buy brings other drugs that may help if this stops working. As the new DR, who I really like, says, it's about slowing or hopefully stopping growth and fluid production of this cancer so he can live with it on a chronic basis since its unlikely it can be completely cured- its a very nasty bugger!
I do my best to get rest and go to Curves and keep my health up. We both began the very low carb Ketogenic diet in May, him because it has shown promise in early study in slowing or stopping some cancers, and me to finally lose the weight I have put on over many years. His weight is where he wants it and his insulin needs for his type 1 diabetes has decreased greatly ( insulin pushes glucose into cells including cancer cells) so his insulin needs have dropped more than 60%! That's a very good thing ! His endocrinologist was so pleased. And yet the stupid American Diabetes Associaton continues to push 40 to 70 carbs a meal! But that's another soap box of mine!! LOL meanwhile I've lost about 23 lbs and counting since Late April!
Velda and Mel plodding along in Roseville in Noethern California
MandysMom

Re: Update on the battle

Postby monik7 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Velda, I admire you and Mel so much. You're doing a great job of keeping up with things and staying on top of what the doctors are doing or not doing. Congrats on the weight loss which should be good as you continue on with this fight. Mel is so lucky to have you and all your knowledge in his corner. Keep your strength up so you can continue to be Mel's most valuable advocate and asset. You both will remain in my prayers.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby MandysMom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:28 pm

Thank you Sandi! It's the battle no one wants but fight on we must.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Velda, you and Mel are amazing. I'll be praying that this new approach works, and works well.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Rufflesgurl » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Good job Velda. I hope you keep your strength up so you can continue to be the super care giver that Mel needs!

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby mtngal » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:17 pm

You are a phenomenal team!
Diana
mtngal

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:43 pm

So glad you found new doctors and have renewed hope of a successful treatment! You are both very strong, determined people! Never give up!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Liz » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:52 pm

Wishing you strength for the days ahead.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby snowball » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:08 pm

was glad to see what is being done...hope it is what is needed and will help...my prayers go out to you and Mel
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:05 am

Thank you everyone for your support and thoughts. Always appreciated.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Irmi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:26 pm

I keep you both constantly in my prayers. I try to keep our carbs at under 40 or less a day, but we are healthy. So I can't say. Hope things continue on a positive note.
Irmi

Postby SoCalGalcas » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks for the great update. I've been wondering about you and Mel. Good luck with the new Doc. Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Queen » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:02 am

Thinking of you and hoping things ease up on you both now!
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby MandysMom » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Yesterday the pulmonary Dr drained 750 ml from the right side of Mel's chest. He also biopsied the lesion he could find on ultrasound, not the main tumor because that was below where he needed to enter for fluid. If those are adequate once under microscope for the clinical trial then we move to CT, EKG, labs, and physical then begin his chemo. Should know in a few days if we need to still have radiology do a lower biopsy. Mel got some relief but Dr did not drain completely because he wanted to leave a cushion to protect lung if another lower biopsy is needed and remaining fluid can be drained then. If no biopsy he will monitor fluid and remove later as needed. Mel slept slightly better last night or it appeared so to me. One day at a time here. We were both tired and napped yesterday. Off to Costco this morning for fuel and food.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby grammynmaggie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:41 pm

You and Mel are amazing for sure... so glad you're not giving up miracles happen all the time thanks for the update
grammynmaggie

Return to General Talk