Sharing my camping desk setup

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Sharing my camping desk setup

Postby OTW » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:19 pm

One caveat: Don't bump it!

Drat! How do I get a photo to appear in post? I have it uploaded on flickr and marked Public. IMG button has Img beginning/end codes but putting URL between them doesn't work.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153242443 ... res/cq2738
OTW

Re: Sharing my camping desk setup

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:50 am

Looks like it should work well for you. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby avalen » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:00 am

Yep, what she said
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Liz » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:24 am

Nice set up.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Joan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:51 am

I see the two tables and what appears to be yellow leveling blocks? What is the piece in the middle? With the advent of unlimited Verizon, the plan is to work a little while camping.

Thanks

Joan
Hanging out in Oregon.
Joan

Postby MandysMom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:07 pm

That's a nice set up. I see two tables, leveling blocks and shelves but want to know more about your chair and cushion. Looks pretty comfy!
MandysMom

Postby OTW » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:01 pm

Joan wrote:I see the two tables and what appears to be yellow leveling blocks? What is the piece in the middle? With the advent of unlimited Verizon, the plan is to work a little while camping.

The two tables are indispensable -- I've had these for years and love them. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Costway-Fold ... Qr37JNTgDI

This is first time I've used the Linx leveling blocks but they gave me more height in the center so I could cross my legs. The downside to using them -- less flat table space.

On top, making the "table's" center is just one of the shelves from a plastic utility shelf system I'd bought a while back at Home Depot for $40 (comes with 4 shelves that are 18-20" inches wide x 48" long which get assembled via provided pvc type poles that fit into each corner hole if using the shelves as intended). Since the shelves are slatted and pens can fall through, I just use those plastic flexible cutting mats to lay on top -- one on the left to write on and one on the right as a mouse pad.

I know this looks kind of mickeymouse but it all stores very neatly in the center part of the full-width storage "tunnel" (a/k/a basement) in many RVs. That's a place where other things are hard to get to but where the 4-ft. length of the shelf makes the whole shebang slide out with only a 2-ft. reach, so I personally don't consider it that big of a space taking investment. (Shelf on bottom upside down so it'll slide out easily, then on top of that, the tables. If you stow those tables alternating which end is facing you (split top of one table and legs end of the next), they sort of naturally lock together to some extent to prevent sliding. If you are wanting a more secure fit, the very small bungies fit through the slats on both tables and shelf and will secure the whole shot together so nothing moves. I found they really didn't move around though.

The chair? I've tried 3 different types of plastic fold/collapse chairs looking for one that's remotely conducive to extended sitting and this one was the best I found. At least for me personally. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flash-Furnit ... tual_color

As for the bleacher seat cushion (locking back rest), I also tried 2 types of those and this one does work great on the chair as well as on a picnic table bench, and even on my inside couch. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-In ... e/47027932.
OTW

Postby MandysMom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:18 pm

Thank you so much for the great info, ESP on the chairs asmy disabled son is waynheavierbthan he should be due to a carbohydrate addiction fed by meds he has to take, it's a struggle to find chairs for his use and a set up lik ethics would help him use his computer if he wanted to. Thanks! And me too of course.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby OTW » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:32 pm

EDITING TO ADD:
For those who find desks to be important, I can't tell you how many hours I've spent online researching for a collapsible desk that would be really sturdy. Found a great one!
This would not fit into an outdoor storage tunnel when collapsed but I detest my trailer's couch. I'm 99% likely to take that sucker out entirely and flush against the back of the dinette's bench, attach this GREAT find of a desk via a drop-down swivel bracket so I can collapse it in place if I want, or even lift it out entirely and take it outside. In the space of the couch, however, a swivel chair (or perhaps the current "office chair" setup in my previous post) would snug up against its edge when not in use, but there'd be still enough room so it can be out enough to sit in comfortable and still leave room for a compact recliner (or a zero gravity patio chair type recliner) -- all in the same space taken up by the couch.

I'm using this desk right now and it is super sturdy and well made. When I bought it, it was on Clearance for $72. Then it went up to $80 and was taken off clearance. Now it's at $88. But worth it. You have to order it online and can do free store pickup so no shipping cost. But I really love this thing. Once again, a portable unit that can be multi-tasky and very easy to move around. Do click on the 2nd image on the left to see how it collapses - the front legs swing around flat against the back legs, then the top drops down flat. It stores in about 5" depth x the height of the desk (about 30" tall).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/10-Spring-St ... k/35913180
OTW

Postby OTW » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:43 pm

MandysMom wrote:Thank you so much for the great info, ESP on the chairs asmy disabled son is waynheavierbthan he should be due to a carbohydrate addiction fed by meds he has to take, it's a struggle to find chairs for his use and a set up lik ethics would help him use his computer if he wanted to. Thanks! And me too of course.
Velda

Velda, I personally wouldn't believe that 800# claim, but this same chair (as well as other styles by same company saying the same) is also on Amazon and between reviews on both Walmart and Amazon, it does seem to do well for heavier people. If ordering through Walmart, you can easily return it if he doesn't find it comfortable or if he feels insecure in it. The bleacher bench cushion is pretty solid also. On the chair, its mid-angle (shown in my photo) actually rests against the back of the chair pretty closely and between the two, it does make for a very comfy and sturdy chair. Just know that in order to change its back rest angle you have to close it up flat (like one big oval) and then re-open it to the angle you want where it'll click into place.
OTW

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:07 am

He is less than half that800# so hopefully when I find one he might like it for its intended purpose.
Thanks for info.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby OTW » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:28 am

You're very welcome, I really hope it works out for him. If that particular chair doesn't work, they have other styles in the same line you could try (thankfully Walmart has a good return policy) - each one fits the back a slight bit differently. The one called "fan back" or something like that wasn't right for me but might be for him in case this one isn't, but I think the bleacher seat minimizes those differences because it takes over more or less.
OTW

Postby Colliemom » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:54 am

Love that set up. It works, easy to store. What more could one want. Your doing great lady.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby OTW » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Colliemom wrote:Love that set up. It works, easy to store. What more could one want. Your doing great lady.

Thank you -- it works well for me, but again, have to be careful - a good hard bump in the wrong place could topple it. Not something I'd leave my laptop on with little ones running around, for sure. But it's actually pretty stable if you know that.

In my downsizing process house-wise, my goal is to get rid of everything that I can't lift pretty easily myself (few exceptions) so that as much of necessary furniture as possible will be collapsible, lightweight, convertible to multi-use if needed, easily moved and easily transportable. Goal guidelines: That once all's said and done, that everything I own that's not in the trailer fits into no more than a 5x10 storage locker (cheapest commercial one). Serious downsizing process ahead. Life's an adventure.
OTW

Return to General Talk