Yellowstone

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Yellowstone

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:20 am

I will have about 3 days near West Yellowstone. Am looking for your suggestions on the best things to see and do in those 3 days. Was hoping for more time there but everything is booked up.

Thanks! :D
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: Yellowstone

Postby Colliemom » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:42 am

Go see Old Faithful and especially the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. The geyser basins are also very interesting. I didn't find Mammoth Hot Springs all that fantastic. Yellowstone Lake was pretty, but if you don't have time to go there, can always get it later. I stayed at Grizzly Bear RV Park in West Yellowstone and each day took a different are of the park to explore. Keep in mind that you are there in a peak season, there is going to be a lot of traffic, parking at the geyser basins is limited. You are going to get held up by wildlife on the roads and sometimes traffic backups, so allow yourself time to go to different places. Start out early in the morning and you might get ahead of the crowds a bit. I also loved the valley where the Madison River flowed through. Gibbons Falls are pretty too. If you come across a Welcome Center in WY., stop and get some information. I would suggest doing Old Faithful and the geyser basins one day, then going to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone the next. They are two distinct things and miles apart in different directions. If you pick a section of the park to do each of the three days, you won't find yourself running from one end to the other trying to get in this and that.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Rufflesgurl » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:17 pm

Enjoy your whole Yellowstone experience. It's so beautiful there. The wildlife love to cross the roads and come down to the roadsides.
In 3 days, you should get to see a lot of places there.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby monik7 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:32 pm

I took a one-day tour of the park in a van with about 8 others. I loved it because the guide gives you so much information that you wouldn't have access to driving it yourself. You learn about the history, geology, animals, etc. Also, I didn't have to worry about finding parking. Lunch was included. Another interesting place is the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center in downtown West Yellowstone. I could have stayed there all day watching the huge grizzlies "play" with huge garbage bins. They test bins there for how sturdy they are. They had a pile of them that didn't make the grade. Also seeing the wolves was fascinating. Sorry I'll miss you. I'll be there the last week of August. Have fun.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby JudyJB » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Definitely visit the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center. They have 9 adult bears, 6 of whom came in as juvenile pairs of siblings. They hide food and then let a few bears out every hour or so to find it.

Also, stop on the main street corner that has an ice cream shop and have some huckleberry ice cream!

At the last minute you may be able to stay longer by trying to get a cancellation somewhere. Also, it is expensive but the best campground in town is Grizzly RV Park. They even let you wash your vehicle and trailer there.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Barbie
Go up to Lamar Valley early in the a.m. that is where a lot of the grizzlies and wolves are. I saw a Mom and cub grizzly there and 1 wolf. But you need to be early. I agree with Sue about Mammoth Hot Springs, I did not enjoy it that much. Also, agree that you should see the Grizzly & Wolf Center, I really enjoyed it. Also, the Yellowstone Canyon and falls, beautiful. I started out early every morning and beat some of the crowds. I enjoyed all the waterfalls and rivers -- I stayed outside of the park 3 days at a National Forest site and 3 days in the part. It was more of a drive outside, but they had sites available.
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Postby snowball » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:32 pm

I was all set to give my advice and find that it has already been done and much better.. :lol:
will see you soon...you mentioned the Tetons are you going there still or what?
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:06 am

Sheila, after the 3 days at Yellowstone, I want to spend a couple days at Teton. Will see what I can find for places to stay. Probably on the 20th, 21st, etc
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Barbie not sure if the Gros Ventre campground has electricity or not but it usually is the last one to fill
one of the Grand Teton National Park campgrounds. there are a couple of Private campgrounds in the valley
one in town and a couple outlying but can't remember for sure the names of the the one in town is the Virginia
I think one of the out of town ones is a KOA my suggestion is to leave West drive down through Island Park you would love to go the Johnny Sack cabin so look for Big Spring...and check it out...anyway go on South check out the falls and I can't remember the name it will come again before then..then on down to
Victor there are two campgrounds one is better then the other again I am not pulling up the name of either but can get them...and stay on the Idaho side and take a car over to the park and the town extra driving but it is a good way to do it plan on being home by then and will love to be your guide...
sheila
snowball

Return to General Talk