Surge Protector Did It's Job

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Surge Protector Did It's Job

Postby Colliemom » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:06 am

On my way home I stopped at a KOA for the night and got a pull through site. I have a digital readout, Surge Guard. Within a few seconds of plugging it in to the shore power, it indicated an open ground and shut off power to my trailer, although I hadn't plugged that in yet. This occured on both 30 and 50 amp circuits. So I went to the office to report it and they gave me another site, the which of was fine.

You don't want to be in an open ground situation. The risk is possible fire or even electocution. Without a ground for the electric to flow into, it could possibly energize your rig and if you touch any metal, you become the ground. Not that it will happen, but the risk is there. So, if you don't have a Surge Protector, get one. You never know what's lurking in those power pedistals. Others on here can share experiences with theirs as well.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Surge Protector Did It's Job

Postby MsBHaven » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:54 am

Surge protector - a must-have necessity for sure.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby Redetotry » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:34 pm

Glad you had your Surge Protector Sue. When you hook up, do you plug the surge protector into post then connect the electric cord to your RV and then to the protector? Or do you plug into the protector before plugging into RV?
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby SoCalGalcas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks Sue!!! Very good timely reminder. Incidentally, I plug in the surg protector, wait a couple of minutes for it to give me its message, them if everything is OK, plug in the cord to the trailer first, then into the surge protector. Just my way of doing things. Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Redetotry » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:30 pm

SoCalGalcas wrote:Thanks Sue!!! Very good timely reminder. Incidentally, I plug in the surg protector, wait a couple of minutes for it to give me its message, them if everything is OK, plug in the cord to the trailer first, then into the surge protector. Just my way of doing things. Lyn

Thanks Lyn!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Return to General Talk