Tank questions...

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Tank questions...

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:02 pm

I want to have some water in my fresh water tank when I leave since I am boondocking the first night. I am thinking maybe 5 gallons or so?

Also, I believe I need to have some water in my black tank before using it. How much should I have in there? I have some stuff to put in there with the water that the previous owners left for me. I assume I do all that thru the toilet... :roll: Do I need to put anything (chemicals) in the gray tank?

How do I know how much water I am putting in the tanks?

Also, I know I need to turn on the propane a day or so ahead of time to get the fridge and freezer cold. Do I keep that on while traveling? Should I turn it off when refueling the car? I have heard different opinions on that. (I will be driving for about 5 hours each day on the way to Keystone.)
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: Tank questions...

Postby Azusateach » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:37 pm

If you plan to take a shower in your rig, you'll need more water than that. Water provides good ballast, provided your tow vehicle can handle the extra weight. We try to run with a fairly full tank, just to help keep the center of gravity low(er) on our Class A. Remember that 1gallon of water weighs 8 pounds.

We usually put 2-3 gallons of water into our black tank along with the treatment stuff after we dump. Those tanks are notoriously long & shallow, and the water spreads out. You want to have at least an inch or two in the bottom so stuff doesn't get stuck. As long as you've got somewhere to dump regularly, you can't put too much in -- provided, again, that your Jeep can handle the weight.

As far as running with the propane on, that's a matter of personal preference. Yes, it's important to shut it off at gas stations. We always run with it on. However, because we're a motorhome, whenever we run the generator it switches over to electric. You have to decide what you feel comfortable with.
Azusateach

Postby Bethers » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:50 pm

I also run with a full, or close to full, water tank. You never know when you'll need it. And when I dump, after closing the valve, I fill the bowl once or twice to make sure it's not empty.

Also, like Laura, I travel with my propane on. Those who don't will be adamant you shouldn't. Your decision.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Redetotry » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:01 pm

A lot of people use the GEO method. The original recipe used bleach but most of what I see now don't use it. The amounts vary but it is just water softener and dish soap. All I have ever done is put a box of baking soda into the toilet and flush.
The following is from this site http://wheelingit.us/2012/03/21/rv-tank ... eo-method/
The GEO method is a home-made cleaning technique that’s been around in the RV community since (at least) the early 80’s. Where the name came from no-body seems to know, but the original method is HERE. The original formula uses chlorine, but that can ruin your valves so these days most RVers use a slightly modified method with just 2 common items, both of which you can get at any big department store:

Calgon Water Softener -> This stuff helps to break down water surface tension, clean scum and prevent hard mineral deposits. I’ve used Borax on occasion when I can’t find Calgon and find it works just as well.
Dawn Dishwasher Detergent -> The “original formula” blue detergent is excellent at cutting grime. Laundry detergent works too.

After you dump pour 1 cup of Calgon and 1 cup detergent into the tanks. Leave them in until your next dump. Before driving some RVers will also throw a bag of ice-cubes down the tank to “scour” their walls (we’ve never done this, but others swear by it).

And that’s really it! We don’t use the GEO method each time we dump, but just whenever our sensors need an extra cleaning. Either way it’s a simple, easy and environmentally-friendly method to keep sensors mostly clean. And in a moving house on wheels that’s really as good as it gets.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Azusateach » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:27 pm

Redetotry wrote:After you dump pour 1 cup of Calgon and 1 cup detergent into the tanks. Leave them in until your next dump. Before driving some RVers will also throw a bag of ice-cubes down the tank to “scour” their walls (we’ve never done this, but others swear by it).

We just dump our soapy dishwater down the toilet -- making sure that all utensils are out first -- and it seems to keep things relatively clean. But you learn to listen to the tank. You'll know when it's getting full.
Azusateach

Postby snowball » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:49 pm

I typically try to dump when I am where I can before leaving...then as said a couple gals of water and whatever your treatment is..some day I am going to try that treatment that was mentioned....but find it hard to find Calgon other than the bath salts...
as to propane I leave it on but that is just what I do which ever you do other's will swear it is wrong...
sheila
snowball

Postby dpf » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:58 pm

FYI Spring Rain is the same thing as Calgon and it's less expensive.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby snowball » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:59 pm

Thanks Pat will try and remember that though not sure I have ever heard of it
sheila
snowball

Postby avalen » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:41 am

I've been traveling with a nearly full water tank. I've discovered
my gray tank feels up quickly so I'm learning how to minimize that
problem. The black tank,,,I put a couple bowl fills of water plus a
pod of some type of chemical that came with the motorhome.
I leave my propane on.
Being in a motor home, I turn off my generator when I fuel because
the exhaust pipe is right below the gas fill.
I'm still learning all this stuff too Barbie, it just gets easier and I'm
starting to feel like I know what I'm doing. :-)
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby dpf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:44 am

Okay I have to renege on the Spring Rain. I tried to find it online and can't. Last time I found it I had bought 4 boxes and I'm on my last box. It was made by Tidy House and apparently that was bought out and it is no longer made. There is another product that is the same, Rain Drops made by Arm and Hammer. https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Drops-Water ... B005NZ4MGU You can buy it on Amazon. 2 boxes for 9.65 compared to Calgon at two boxes for 29.99. Read the reviews! The first one is from someone using it for the geo-method.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby JudyJB » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:45 pm

Just to confuse things: I almost never put any chemicals in my black tank, I never turn off propane at gas stations and leave it on while driving, and I drive with about 1/3 tank of fresh water because I don't want to overload my vehicle. I like to have enough fresh water for a shower and several flushes.

As you can see, we all do things differently.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Cougarfan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:42 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:I want to have some water in my fresh water tank when I leave since I am boondocking the first night. I am thinking maybe 5 gallons or so?

Also, I believe I need to have some water in my black tank before using it. How much should I have in there? I have some stuff to put in there with the water that the previous owners left for me. I assume I do all that thru the toilet... :roll: Do I need to put anything (chemicals) in the gray tank?

How do I know how much water I am putting in the tanks?

Also, I know I need to turn on the propane a day or so ahead of time to get the fridge and freezer cold. Do I keep that on while traveling? Should I turn it off when refueling the car? I have heard different opinions on that. (I will be driving for about 5 hours each day on the way to Keystone.)

I try to have about 1/3 tank of fresh water when I travel. My previous trailer towed better with 1/2 tank of fresh water so you can play around a bit with the amount until you find the right balance. You'll know it when you have it. My fresh water gauge is pretty accurate, so just put the hose in the tank fill, let it run for a bit, then go check the fresh water level. Keep doing that until you get the desired level. I would add 1/3 tank or less to start out with until you figure out how much water you really need to shower and use the toilet. Remember to use lots of water when you flush and keep the black tank valve closed until you are ready to dump.

After I dump my tanks, I put about 1 min of water in my black tank. That's just holding the flusher down for about a minute to get some water in the tank. I then add "Happy Camp" enzyme in the tank. I don't use the deodorants in my tank, just the enzyme that helps break everything down. I don't use any chemicals or additives to my grey tank. I use toilet paper that is specifically for RV/Marine applications. It dissolves faster and you have less chance of a blockage.

I turn on my propane the day I'm leaving, light the stove to get the air out of the line, then turn on the fridge. I try to get fuel in the truck before I hook up so I don't have to worry about shutting off the propane when I get gas. I think it is a safety thing to turn off the propane, so you might want to do that while you are traveling. Just remember to turn it back on or your fridge won't stay cold especially in the summer time.

Hope this helps...

Laura
Cougarfan

Postby gingerK » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:06 pm

I usually run with a full water tank, I dump when I'm leaving a campground, I use the Geo method and the Calgon I buy comes in bottles not boxes. I usually find it in the laundry detergent aisle. It's hard to find so when I do, I stock up. I've even used the ice bag method, didn't seem to help much. My refrigerator automatically switches over to propane when I disconnect from electric and I drive with it on. I have stopped and turned it off before fueling, and I have gone ahead and refueled when I forgot it was on. Haven't blown up a gas station yet. Oh and I add about 2-3 gallons of water along with the chemicals and the Geo stuff after dumping the tanks.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby OregonLuvr » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:09 pm

I dont use anything in my black tank except water. I never have anything sitting in it long enough so before I dump my tanks I tend to use alot of water in it just before dumping. When I store it between trips I just put several gallons of water in it to keep things from drying out. I use whatever toilet paper I use in the house. Again I just use lots of water.

I run my propane also when driving. If it is hot I am also running my generator for cooling. I do turn both off if gassing up.

I always have around 1/3 of a tank of water on board. Just in case I need it along the way.

I have a motorhome tho and not a trailer so the amount of water will differ for a trailer. You just need to find that sweet spot that allows you to tow optimally

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Return to General Talk