Any Electric Bike or Electric Trike owners?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Any Electric Bike or Electric Trike owners?

Postby bghouse » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:52 pm

I've been watching video reviews of electric bikes and electric tricycles. I'm actually really interested in the trike because my balance on a bike has always been questionable...

Anyone have a ebike or etrike? Any recommended brands? And any advice on getting the right type of bike rack for a trike?
bghouse

Re: Any Electric Bike or Electric Trike owners?

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 pm

I believe JudyJB has an electric bike. Hopefully, she will chime in here.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Azusateach » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:22 pm

I have a Pedego. It's absolutely marvelous, and I wouldn't buy anything else. But I don't know if they make 3-wheelers.

Electric bikes are pricey, and Pedegos are the Cadillac of the lot. They give you lots of mobility if you're just wanting to do short (under 50 miles) trips. All electric bikes are limited by how much the rider pedals, hills, wind, and anything else that would put stress on the batteries. And batteries come in different sizes/power.

I could go on, but I think the kind of bike you choose is definitely an individual decision. We looked as a couple of different types and chose the Pedego because of its dependability, battery size (range), and warranty.

If you'd like more information, feel free to PM me.

Laura
Azusateach

Postby JudyJB » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:03 am

I do not own or tow a car, so my electric bike is my only transportation other than driving my RV some place.

I have an EG Athens: http://www.egbike.com/EGUSA/index_files/Page1051.htm. There are some things I like about it and somethings I don't. First, mine cost $1,500 about four years ago, and it has had a hard life on the back of my motorhome for about 80,000 miles through dust, dirt, rain, bumps, and an occasional time I have backed into something and bent the bike rack. The result is that it is getting old faster than it would have been if stored in a nice, stable garage. Even though I cover it, the wheel spokes are badly rusted because rain and dirt managed to get under the cover. And I am currently having some electrical problems with it. I think I would have had a lot fewer problems had I been able to store it in a garage!!!!

Pros - I love my bike because it has a very, very low stepover. This means it is very easy to lift my bad knee over it and get on. It is the lowest stepover I have seen in electric bikes, which is really important to me. It also still takes me 16-20 miles on a charge, which is all I really need. Mostly, I use it for exploring campgrounds and maybe taking short trips into town for a few groceries and such. My back and knees hurt when I walk too far, so it has been a lifesaver, especially since I do not own or tow a car. I love that I can zip along and get places a lot faster than walking. If I walked someplace, I would have to stop often to rest without my bike. It gives me a lot of freedom.

Cons - I hate the plastic fenders and the plastic thing that covers the chain. These plastic parts were once shiny and smoky colored, but now are dull and look junky. (Based on the website, the newer ones have aluminum alloy fenders now.) I don't like the shifter because I am now down to 2-3 gears instead of 7. It takes a lot of effort to shift gears, but I did buy a replacement. Just need to get someone to fix it.

Some general things about electric bikes:
- They are heavy and hard to lift onto a bike rack. Mine weighs 54 pounds with the battery and 45 pounds without the battery.
- They need to be covered if on a bike rack because rain can damage electric parts. Covering and uncovering is a pain.
- They will go up gentle slopes, but not steep hills. Sometimes you have to pedal to help make it up something moderate.
- It is hard to find someone to service them. When you take them into a regular bike shop for anything other than very simple things, they look at you with blank stares. This should get easier as these bikes get more popular.

On the other hand, the option for me would be an even heavier scooter or motorbike that would be impossible for me to load and unload from my rack on my motorhome. I have been a lifelong bike rider and love the feeling of the wind in my hair and the ability to zip along with so little effort! It really gives me a lot of freedom, so when this one dies, I will almost certainly buy another.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby bghouse » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:40 pm

Thanks Laura - Pedego does have a Trike and it's on my list :-)

I wish my balance was better - I've always had a hard time on a bike even as a kid. But I trike I'm pretty sure I can do.

Although I guess the trike will make figuring out the rack a bit more difficult.

I will probably put some money aside but not purchase immediately. I really, really need to walk as much as possible for my weight and health issues, so I want to try and delay the temptation to not exercise :-)
bghouse

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:29 pm

You would think there would be wheels you could attach to a 2 wheel bike to make it like a 3 wheel (obviously would be 4 then) that would be easier to transport than a traditional 3 wheeler, by being removable. (Kind of like training wheels for adults :D ).
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:38 pm

They do make some! Found these on Amazon. Not sure if they would work on an electric bike tho.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bike-USA-Stabi ... ing+wheels

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Azusateach » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:33 pm

bghouse wrote:Thanks Laura - Pedego does have a Trike and it's on my list :-)

I wish you were in my neck of the woods, and I'd take you for a test ride. The shop in Seal Beach is wonderful and loves to get people out on test rides. If there's a Pedego shop near you check them out. They might have a program that would allow you to demo a trike.

Laura
Azusateach

Postby bghouse » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:13 am

Thanks Barbara - I'll read up on those.

Laura - there is a Pedego shop in San Diego that I thought I might check out one of these weekends when I cross the border. I think the bigger thing will be figuring out the rack for it - I started reading a bit but it's confusing. Hopefully folks at the bike shop would be able to steer me the right direction. At least, ballpark me enough so I know I have enough money set aside for it. I definitely want to have this option, but also want to not get distracted from my "walk a ton and regain my health" plan :-)
bghouse

Return to General Talk