Verizon "Unlimited" Internet Service - Update

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Verizon "Unlimited" Internet Service - Update

Postby JudyJB » Sat May 20, 2017 1:09 pm

This isn't exactly a new topic, but I wanted to update you all. This past winter Verizon started offering "unlimited" service. I was very suspicious of this, because, well I am suspicious of everything Verizon does. Four years ago, I spent a lot of time yelling on the phone after I bought a new cell phone and jetpack and they speeded up my service to the point where I was paying $239 per month for 40 gig, but able to spend only an hour or two online each day before using up my allowance. I had not changed my habits, bur previously had been able to spend 5-6 hours online and using only 20 gigs. I was going to McDonalds and doing all sorts of things to get adequate service, like I had had before the new phone purchase. (There is apparently a lawsuit about Verizon charging for more data than people actually use, and my experience was not unique.) Things abruptly went back to normal about 8 months later and have been fine since. OK, that was then, this is now, as they say.

So, I have been using about 22 gigs a month lately teaching my class and surfing the internet. Cost of $239 was bothering me. The trick with their "unlimited" service is that they would give you 10 gigs per device at 4G LTE, and then it would drop to 3G after the 10 gigs. For me, that means 10 gigs per month of my two jetpack/mobile hotspots and my cell phone for a total of 30 gigs per month if I switch back and forth.

Cost would drop to $160 per month, which is a substantial saving. So after much research and thinking, I switched plans about two weeks ago. So yesterday, I ran past the 10 gigs on my main jetpack. I have not switched to my backup jetpack because I have oral presentations next week, and also I want to see what 3G speed is like.

So far, I have barely noticed the drop in speed, if indeed they actually dropped my speed!!! My jetpack still says it is using 4G LTE. Interesting. Will keep you updated.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Verizon "Unlimited" Internet Service

Postby Liz » Sat May 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Same with me. I received a text message when I reached 10 gigs saying my service would be 3 g for the remainder of my month. Since then, I have not noticed any change in service and my jet pack still says 4g. Just because they can, doesn't mean they will unless perhaps there is a lot of internet traffic sometime. My Verizon bill is $109 a month for Jetpack and IPhone. My iPad doesn't have a data plan, I use the jetpack wifi to get online with it. I too used to pay about $215 a month for 40 gigs.

So, so far, so good.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby chalet05 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:31 pm

I use my phone as a hotspot. Lovin' the unlimited data! I've never had a 10 GB warning, but maybe I just didn't sign up for it. LeRoy and I are still on the same plan. I just checked - with 6 days left in the cycle, we have used over 42GB. In the last couple of days, I have watched a movie and 2 TV shows with no slow down.
Anita
chalet05

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat May 20, 2017 8:36 pm

I havent had a chance yet to test it out but I had 3g before, longer than most of the state as they are slow down here LOL But the Verizon folk I spoke with did say it does depend on internet traffic whether they actually slow you down so I think it is a great deal. My bill went down $60 so I am happy.

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby JudyJB » Sat May 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Karen, you are right about traffic. They told me I would get slowed down even before 10 gigs if I was at a place like downtown somewhere or in a stadium. Obviously, with my lifestyle (and the lifestyle of most of us on this forum) I am almost never downtown anywhere or at a stadium!!!

The one thing that worried me was that I have student presentations next week, which means more gigs used than usual because we use a sort of a Skype for groups. So, I am reserving my backup jetpack for then and making do with what I thought would be horribly slow speed. So far, it has been fine and still 4G so I am happy.

I never watch TV or movies, but once I get the feel of all of this, I might try it. I am just happy to save $80 per month.
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby havingfunnow » Sun May 21, 2017 9:44 am

This is good news! I heard about the new Verizon plan, and I wondered how it would work -- especially the throttling.

Interesting that your mifi still says it's getting 4G, Judy. I think you're right; it must depend on demand. I think a strong 3G signal is almost as good. A friend of mine bought a new house in an area with strong 3G and didn't bother to put in an internet connection for several months, because the hotspot from his phone was so satisfactory. He could even stream video.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Birdie » Mon May 22, 2017 8:47 am

I recently attended a webinar put on by the Technomadia people and they said that if and when you were close to or at the top of your limit the slowdown would depend on your location and it's traffic. Out in the boonies you would probably be ok. Near a college town you could get slowed way down even before you were part way through your data amount. They also said if you RV in and around cities that Sprint might work better for you as they are strong in cities but weak out in the boonies.

So you gals are as smart as the Technomadia peeps! But then you already knew that!
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby bikerchic777 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:01 am

I've had Straight Talk for about a year and a half. Unlimited data and it's supposed to slow down after 5g if usage. I've never gone over, but now you all have me curious. Maybe I'll try to go over and see what happens! I pay $46 something a month. Love the price and they don't eat up my data like Verizon did. That's why I got fed up with Verizon!
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Mon May 22, 2017 9:54 pm

My unlimited AT&T plan doesn't slow down until 20 something. So far I haven't seen any slowdown. That said I could pay $20 more than I am per month with true unlimited and no slow down. I'm cheap. And I increased what I was spending because I added the Direct TV Now.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Wed May 31, 2017 1:59 am

Just an update -- I have used 15 gigs on my one jetpack and am still getting 4G LTE with no slowdown at all!! And I got a $50 credit for signing up somehow, so my first bill will be only $111. My first month ends in 8 days, and then I start all over again. I had a group of students online today using a live video software sort of like Skype, and it worked well, even watching live student presentations! :D

I am near Trindad, CO, and was a little worried to be that close to a town, but it is about four miles away and not that big of a place. I have strong service, so I am really happy saving money. I wish I did not have to have two jetpacks, but because this is my job, I can't take a chance of having one jetpack crash and not being able to access my class. College would not be happy, and I might be really out in boondocks and have to drive a long ways.
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby MandysMom » Wed May 31, 2017 3:15 am

I'm amused Judy you Were near Trindad because our good friends we were in a RV club with for almost a decade were just in that area yesterday. You didn't happen to see a blue and silver old GMC bus motorhome conversion towung a white SUV did you?
Velda
MandysMom

Postby JudyJB » Wed May 31, 2017 11:12 am

Did not see that. I am at Trinidad Lake State Park for one more night.
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby bghouse » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:30 am

I had been researching this and got a referral to be able to pay for one of the grandfathered unlimited accounts at $135 month. The person I was sent to says the speed will depend on location, but the average is around 20 mbps download / 10 mbps upload. Which is better than I get here in Mexico with the cable modem - haha :-)

Is this new Verizon unlimited plan a better deal?
bghouse

Postby Bethers » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:22 pm

I pay less than that for an unlimited AT&T plan.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:54 pm

I don't have this new plan but recently switched to Verizon because I was thoroughly frustrated with AT&T by not having service in so many places I traveled. I'd be sitting with others at GTGs and I'd be the one with no service. I'd ask others what company they got their service from and they said Verizon. So far I'm happy with the change. Within a couple weeks of changing to Verizon, I was in an area of Maui with my daughter. We needed to check something online. I had service with Verizon and she didn't with AT&T. Can't believe how many years I put up with AT&T. I'm sure some will post that they love AT&T, but for me, changing to Verizon has been nothing but successful. You can have a good plan, but if there's no service a good plan won't help. (Sorry Beth :lol: )
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Next

Return to General Talk