Sue’s Porch Project

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Sue’s Porch Project

Postby Colliemom » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:41 am

As mentioned in MC, I decided to move my step and create a new entrance to my porch from its current side entrance. I forgot to take a before picture, but this one shows where the existing entrance is. I already removed the handrails. There were 3 big shrubs across the front of the porch. Used to be 4, but I removed one last year after it was discovered that its roots were getting in the septic tank which is next to the porch.the one that is still there, is coming out too, but not in the way at the moment. That and getting the dirt shoveled out and leveled, is the hard hysical part of this project. I’m just taking my time and only do so much a day.

So at the moment I have two boards in place, an 2x6 and a 2x4. Ideally, a 2x10 would have been better, but I can’t handle that size of pressure treated board anymore. Too heavy. I have the gravel down for the step base. This is a work in progress area at the moment.

But before I do anymore on that part, I want to even off that edge where the deck boards are sticking out. aDon’t want a tripping hazard there. Being the deck boards look even all the way across the width of the porch, the joist underneath is not straight. So there is anywhere from a half inch to 3/4 inch between the edge of those deck boards and the joist where I attached my boards, between the two posts. . So a bit of experimenting going to happen here.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: Sue’s Porch Project

Postby snowball » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:47 pm

looks like a big project to me
but I am sure you are up to it...
have fun
sheila
snowball

Postby Colliemom » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

Finally got the alignment I was looking for along that joist. Used some scrap 2x6’s, 3/8x6’s and some leftover cedar fence boards to make what I call backer boards. Sometimes you have to just have to experimenting with what’s around to accomplish what you want. In this case, those combos will bring the step frame even and straight. The top board is in place along the porch edge and the framing for the step will butt up against the lower part. That is in my garage to get a bit more tweaking and the support joists that will run under the deck boards installed. Those are the last steps before I put it in place and lay the deck boards down.

And yes Shelia, this is a big project. Very physical. But I’m only doing a bit a day and the more I do, I’m starting to feel good physically. Always that old adage, use or lose it. Even more important as we age. @
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Bethers » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:20 pm

I am super impressed. It's already looking great. And I've already lost it lol
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:33 pm

WELL I used it today and now I have lost it. Hauled bags of dirt, shoveled in my raised beds. I do have my Hugelkultur bed now half full with raised bed soil, manure, compost, vermiculite, perlite. The top half will be mainly raised bed soil, compost. I didnt know how many dang bags of soil I would need. Lowe's had a sale on so I went again, this afternoon and got 20 more bags. That should be enough for the 2 raised beds and the Hugelkultur bed. Then after our rainy weather that is coming Thursday I will finish adding the soil and start planting!!!!!! Then will finish with my plant pots and flowers. I want some geraniums for sure, not sure what else yet. Beautiful job Sue, you are super talented. I think you should come to Oregon for a visit tee hee.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby snowball » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:27 pm

It's looking really nice
sheila
snowball

Postby Colliemom » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:39 am

Porch railing removed, step and pavers in place. May add another row of pa res, or may not. Railings need to be added.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Return to General Talk