My 2016 Expenses/Budget

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

My 2016 Expenses/Budget

Postby Bethers » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:57 pm

As I often tell people, RVing can be expensive, but doesn't need to be. Here are some of my expenses from last year.
The RV traveled a couple miles under 6,000 miles. I travelled in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas... Going back through New Mexico and Arizona.
I paid $975 in camping fees. (That comes to $81.25/mo or $2.20/day)
Gas for the RV came to $1435 or $119.45/mo once broken down.
Propane costs were $79.79 or $6.65/mo.
MH maintenance was very low at $302 for the year, and that included one bigger expense. I budget $500-$1000 for that.

I realize my camping expenses are low because of workamping... But right now while I get my site for volunteering. I would have been boondocking this winter with also no cost and not having to work.

Car expenses... Gas was $300/year... $25/mo. Regular maintenance in 2016 was under $100.

Add in groceries, essentials, insurance, etc and I am still under $1000/mo total for 2016. I do not look at cost on my sightseeing, but rarely does it cost much and it is included in my staying at $1000 per month or less. That is where, if I want to do it, I fit it into the budget.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: My 2016 Expenses/Budget

Postby cnq50b » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Just goes to show, if there's a will, there's a way.
Thanks for sharing this, Beth.
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby Wanderer2 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Thank you Beth. That was informative and thank you for taking the time to do that. Budget is important or expenses could soon be out of control. I am going to try to keep expenses down as much as possible and I think it will be a learning experience. Workcamping is definitely a possibility for me. Is it hard to land your first job workcamping?
Wanderer2

Postby Bethers » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:26 pm

Wanderer2 wrote:Thank you Beth. That was informative and thank you for taking the time to do that. Budget is important or expenses could soon be out of control. I am going to try to keep expenses down as much as possible and I think it will be a learning experience. Workcamping is definitely a possibility for me. Is it hard to land your first job workcamping?

No, it really isn't. Winter jobs are harder to come by than summer... More people want them, and it's easier to find volunteer in the winter rather than paying jobs. When you are ready, let me know and I'll gladly help you get started.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby IrishIroamed » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:47 am

aaaaahhhhhhh BBeeeettthhhh! :o You made me do math! Dontcha know I'm mathematically challenged! :? Just ask Melissa & Sue can confirm about trailer weights :lol: All is good tho. Helps me out for the 'when the time comes scenario'. Thanks!
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby havingfunnow » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Thank you, Beth! This was really helpful -- and heartening. :D
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby chalet05 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:23 pm

That's very helpful info, Beth, especially for those not on the road yet. Certainly different than mine - between the two vehicles, I did 28,000 miles and $3600 in fuel. Of course, not everyone crosses the country 3 times in one year. :D My RV parking was a bit over the top because I ended up in parks that were above what I would normally spend but was necessary for event I was attending or family I was visiting.
Anita
chalet05

Postby Wanderer2 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:28 pm

Thank you for the offer and I will. :D
Wanderer2

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:14 am

chalet05 wrote:That's very helpful info, Beth, especially for those not on the road yet. Certainly different than mine - between the two vehicles, I did 28,000 miles and $3600 in fuel. Of course, not everyone crosses the country 3 times in one year. :D My RV parking was a bit over the top because I ended up in parks that were above what I would normally spend but was necessary for event I was attending or family I was visiting.

You had a very unusual, but also very exciting year. Be grateful for the lower gas prices when you crisscross the country like that!
Beth
Bethers

Return to General Talk