For Workamping: Small TT vs. VanCamper

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

For Workamping: Small TT vs. VanCamper

Postby SnowGypsy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:36 am

I am torn between a small tt and a van camper. I hope to workamp and am not sure what might work better for doing that. I have been planning to do this for years and now, it is upon me as in next month making the decision.

I see the advantages of both. I'll be buying used so availability in my area will play a big part in my decision. I will have my 11 year old 65 lb dog with me, she hasn't been energetic though since she was 10 months old. During those first 10 months, she burned all of her high energy for her lifetime!
SnowGypsy

Re: For Workamping: Small TT vs. VanCamper

Postby avalen » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:41 am

A campervan doesn't give you that extra transportation you might need
unless you have a toad, whereas a tt you will be able to disconnect and still
have a vehicle. However many workkampers do this without the extra vehicle.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:06 am

I have a small 23' motorhome that is not much larger than a van. I usually only camp for 3 or 4 days. Once I get parked and hooked up I really have to want to go somewhere a lot to unhook. Everything that is out has to be stored away.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby SnowGypsy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:39 am

Thanks! I can see an issue with having to put everything away and the longer one sits in one place, the more things that would be present, so not so quick to just drive off unless one really limited what they had out in the first place.

There is no perfect set-up, darn it!
SnowGypsy

Postby MandysMom » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:09 pm

I like RV Sues set up with a used commercial van, which could be insulated and ready for day or even overnight trips and a Casita fiberglass trailer for living. I also love my Van RV and could tow a small car with my vans 5000 lb tow capacity with its high mileage little diesel engine. Saw at least 4 Sprinters for sale this weekend which could be converted. Do some reading on cheap rv living site at top where there are articles linked to various set ups. Might find your ideal plan. My 11 year old Sprinter gets 20 plus mpg diesel on freeway. We drove it about 250 miles this weekend and used less than half its 25 gal fuel. Haven't calculated it yet as we had no reason to refuel.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Cudedog » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:58 pm

Check out my link below regarding my DIY cargo van to camper van conversion.

If I can do it, anyone can. I get 20 mpg highway.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:54 pm

I like having a TT and pulling it with my vehicle. I can get it set up, leave it and use my car for getting around.
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Postby Bethers » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:56 pm

I found having a truck and tt would have been more expensive than a small Class C. If you keep yourself organized it's not a problem to unhook, etc. That said, you need to figure out what works best for you, not me or the other responders. And consider how you like traveling when not working.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:07 am

One consideration is a having a sewer hookup. If you get a work camping job with a full hookup, no problem.

However, if you DON'T have full hookups. it can be a problem with a trailer. If you have a trailer, you either have to use a portable tank and tow it to the dump station or hook up and tow the whole trailer. With a motorhome, it is much easier to just unhook and go dump stuff every few days. Also a small motorhome is likely to have more storage inside and underneath, plus it is still easily driveable and parkable.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby SnowGypsy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:44 pm

All good points, thank you. The feedback is appreciated so that I can see if there is something I might not be thinking of. The sewer thing? I do see several postings that don't include sewer and been to plenty of campgrounds where the better sites, "campy" ones had no sewer. I am hoping for more backcountry type camping, workamping hopefully mostly as a volunteer in public parks. That's the dream anyway.
SnowGypsy

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:38 pm

The sewer arrangements would be something to ask about. In Louisiana I think most if not all the state parks don't have sewer at the camp sites, just a dump. I never thought to look at where the camp hosts park. I don't think I have ever been in a COE campground that had sewer at each site. Louisiana is trying to deal with budget cuts to the state parks by having more camp hosts.

I keep saying I'm going to join the Friends of the Park group at the state park near me but they might want me to work. lol

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Bethers » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:51 pm

Some of the sites where I'll be volunteering this winter have sewer. As the new kid there, mine most likely will not. I want to be there and driving to dump actually has its pluses. It's not good for any rig to sit long periods... can cause tire problems. They recommend moving, if just tire positions, monthly.

But, honestly, I think you need to look at lots of types and think about usage, etc, and decide what you'll be most comfortable in. I love the small vans, but have a 25 foot class c... the extra space for storage and the larger fridge especially is something I like when workamping.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:19 pm

Also make sure you consider tank sizw--fresh, grey, and black because that determines how often you will have to dump your tanks. I bought a motorhome for large tanks so I could use my own shower but others do not mind using campground showers.

Lots of considerations and trade offs!!!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby snowball » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:34 am

we used to work in a National Forest campground...no sewer available for the campers but we the hosts had
one...just a thought
sheila
snowball

Return to General Talk