A failed experiment... possibly

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: A failed experiment... possibly

Postby Queen » Mon May 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Excellent stuff, thanks for sharing it, Velda. I'm reading the site you mentioned and will have my honey read it as well.

I was one of those kids with asthma, but when we moved to AZ when I was eight, it went into remission. Came roaring back at 37 after being stuck in a small car for a seven hour drive with my boss, who chain smoked the entire way; it's been seasonally annoying ever since... but I've never experienced it like I have here in FL, it is relentless.
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby MandysMom » Mon May 23, 2016 7:49 pm

I was diagnosed at 40 after suddenly starting to wheeze in the middle of a cold. I said to my Dr, but I don't have asthma. He looked at me and said, you do now! Late spring and any viral illness, plus stress can send me to the inhaler.
Write me a message if you need to. I will help with anything I can.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Queen » Mon May 23, 2016 8:07 pm

I seem to have weird asthma, I rarely wheeze, but instead get tight as the muscles along the airways spasm, I even passed the Methacholine Challenge Test with flying colors.
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon May 23, 2016 9:59 pm

I also agree with heading to the southwest. I had terrible allergies year round in MN but they went away completely when I lived in San Diego. They are back now that I in MN again but not as bad as they were. Arizona is not on the ocean but is less expensive than California and only a half days drive to the ocean. Something to think about. Hope you come up with a workable plan.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby JudyJB » Mon May 23, 2016 10:09 pm

And I am a coughing asthmatic! Never wheeze but when I am near cigarette smoke, diesel fumes, and other chemicals I start coughing and can't stop. I got sensitized by working in the admin building attached to a plant that manufactured transmissions way back in 1986-8. The plant had aisles that were 4,000 feet long, but you could not see all the way down because of the oil mist--nasty stuff that turned a lot of factory workers into asthmatics or people with lung problems. The rest of the workers ended up with hearing loss because that was before hearing protection was required. The oil mist was caused by something called "cutting oil" that bathed the parts being milled or ground. It got airborne and I can still smell it.

Every time they try to test my peak air flow, it makes me cough, and they give up. I am thinking of seeing an allergist when I visit my son in mid-June. Otherwise it will be late August before I can see my regular one. I might try some of those things on Velda's list. Getting tired of coughing, especially with my recovering back.

You certainly can't live with gasping and bronchial spasms, Queen, so moving sounds like a good idea.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby MandysMom » Tue May 24, 2016 3:18 am

One more. I found a allergy product I really like called Allergy ReLeaf. It's a two bottle package. One pill and one capsule makes the system. One has herbs in it known to curb allergy, the other has vitamin minerals which help calm allergy such as Quercitin. It has worked at least as well as OTC or RX allergy meds I have tried but with no side effects. It's pricey at about $30 for the package of 60 doses but I don't usually take it more than once a day and don't need it year around. It's made by Herbs etc. Available on Amazon.
I think key is trying one or two things at a time, and figuring out which help and which don't. But my number ONE for allergy is saline rinse twice a day. It has made a huge difference for me. I went from being congested pretty much all the time to rare times. It's worth it too to try a gluten and dairy free diet for several oaths and isn't as hard as it sounds once you make up your mind. Food allergies , true alleregies, can kill you, while sensitivities can simply make you miserable. Once I figured out how much better I felt giving up certain foods, it all became easier.
Judy I sure get the coughing which I do if irritated. Smoke and odors such as Mel's after shave really set me off.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Queen » Tue May 24, 2016 9:40 am

Velda, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your research and what's worked for you. Once I get out of crisis mode I'm going to start trying these things, a little bit at a time. I really hate that I'm on five meds a day and they're not working, I wonder what they're doing to me long term.
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby MandysMom » Wed May 25, 2016 2:57 am

I was in crisis, though not as bad as you when I began the evening primrose and the MSM. I give those credit for my peak flow finally getting towards where I wanted. If you are on steroids, they can really harm you over time. I was so glad to give them up and have not had to use them since. i had the real flu, influenza over new years and by March was still having coughing fits and low peak flow but by end of April I had much improved and the only thing I was doing different was,those two.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby havingfunnow » Wed May 25, 2016 8:23 am

So sorry you're so miserable! Asthma is scary. I remember many nights in the emergency room with my son when he was small. Glad you're moving! I second Velda on the saline rinse. It's enormously helpful.

Maybe some short-term adventures in the van would be good -- both for fun and for exploring possible areas to settle later.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Previous

Return to General Talk