Campfire

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Campfire

Postby IrishIroamed » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:45 pm

Punkin did his first hike (actually a long walk) just about 2 miles today at Midewin National Tallgrass prairie, which brings up a question for the dog peeps especially if you have smaller dogs. (Liz, Tina, Beth, etc). The Punk is about 24# 15" to the shoulder. Granted he is a puppy, and it was his first longer walk. I figure if I go on a really long walk, I can always put him in my backpack if needed (another 'to do' for training along with the bike basket).

How far do you hike with your pups on average? I know about water, snacks, etc from hiking with Molly & Zorro, but they were both larger dogs (70-80#s, etc).

Only saw the bison from far away. There's always next time.

He was very good for a first time out. Walked with other people and didn't go nuts at other dogs. So proud of him!

Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:59 pm

I think Peaches would go further than me and she's about 18 pounds. I have to make sure she gets enough water breaks on the longer walks/hikes, especially because she's gotten used to SD with creeks everywhere to cool off in and drink. So I'm not one to ask. My previous dogs, while somewhat bigger, had hip problems and until the end, would go further than I wanted them to, but it made them happy, so, hurt/enjoy. Usual I let them, then Tips, especially, would get an extra Rimadyl in his dinner.

I bet he'll let you know if it's time.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:52 pm

I think different dogs have different tolerances just like people. When they are young you don't want to stress those growth plates that haven't closed yet. I worry more about the scrambling, jumping and jarring at that age. Much has to do with conditioning, hydration, etc. I notice that Audrey does not seem to have the stamina that the almost ten year old Stuart has... :) Just build up slowly and watch carefully.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:56 pm

I made it back from the lake tonight. We really had a good time but it was cold. Not 2' of snow cold. We had a big campfire every night. Thursday and Friday I only made it until about 9:00 but last night I managed to stay out until mid night. It must not have been as cold. Friday night I had on a shirt, sweat shirt, fleece jacket, coat and I was till cold. On the way home I stopped to see one of my college roommates that lives up that way. Met my sister and nephew for lunch.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby snowball » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:34 pm

several years ago I heard mention of this cake called Kings Cake I'm sure lots of you have experienced it :lol: I never have
so self said you want to make that don't you??? Self agreed finally took till this year to decide yep I do want to try it
I did today even down to coloring sugar :roll: (no purple in the stores sides that you tube showed me how easy it was and cheaper)
so today I made Kings cake if I can figure out how to do it cause for some reason FB and my phone aren't happy with each other I will post
a picture of a Northern King Cake ;)
sheila
I wish though I had some one to taste it that was familiar with them so I'd know if I was somewhat near the mark
snowball

Postby avalen » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:10 pm

I don't know about king cakes, but I could help eat it! :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Liz » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:18 pm

I'm with Alice, I can help test it.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby snowball » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:31 am

my daughter had actually tried it ...her boss ordered it in several years ago...she told me mine wasn't bad but a tad dry... I agreed
my complaint with the recipe was this...knowing it had to be rolled out and when I had put in the required amount of flour...it was still not
forming any sort of a ball that one would think would ever roll out...so added my flour and more and more..so think it was dry for that reason...
(flour is strange when coming to breads depending upon the weather depending upon the brand and or type of flour you may need more or less) it is similar to cinnamon rolls...so based it on that...and regardless of it's name cake it is still more cinnamon roll than the average cake!!!
will I do it again possibly and if any of you are in my area for sure you can try it...we still have half of each
sheila
snowball

Postby snowball » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:35 am

When we first started thinking of full timing I put a program on the computer maps ect then on to a lap top the program followed me
so then went to map quest it used to be one could put in multiple destinations couldn't figure out how to do that!! they have changed something or
I'm so out of practice of day dreaming can't figure out how to do it any more..can some one tell me what I am doing wrong or not doing?
even tried other map sites same thing put in where you are leaving from and where are you going
sheila
snowball

Postby Redetotry » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:24 am

snowball wrote:When we first started thinking of full timing I put a program on the computer maps ect then on to a lap top the program followed me
so then went to map quest it used to be one could put in multiple destinations couldn't figure out how to do that!! they have changed something or
I'm so out of practice of day dreaming can't figure out how to do it any more..can some one tell me what I am doing wrong or not doing?
even tried other map sites same thing put in where you are leaving from and where are you going
sheila

Mapquest was always my favorite too Sheila but alas they 'improved' it. But I found the link to the classic versions here http://classic.mapquest.com/ I don't understand why so many times improvement means the opposite! I think I found the link on their new page.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby snowball » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Redetotry wrote:
snowball wrote:When we first started thinking of full timing I put a program on the computer maps ect then on to a lap top the program followed me
sheila

Mapquest was always my favorite too Sheila but alas they 'improved' it. But I found the link to the classic versions here http://classic.mapquest.com/ I don't understand why so many times improvement means the opposite! I think I found the link on their new page.

Thanks BJ will give that a try
sheila
snowball

Postby JudyJB » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:56 pm

Been parked in campground for last couple of days with water and electric, but yesterday in the late afternoon, there was a brief power outage--maybe two seconds. I checked everything (I thought) and all was working--TV, furnaces, AC, etc.

This morning, I noticed when I got one of my frozen water bottle out of the freezer that the non-frozen ones were not freezing very fast, but figured it was due to hot weather--high of 84 last two days. Stuff was still cold and lights were on inside so it was getting power. Then around 2:00 pm today, I drove out to visit Pueblo Grande Museum and pick up my prescriptions.However, after leaving my vehicle parked in the museum parking lot, I got back in and noticed the water had still not frozen! And the built-up ice on the refrigerator vanes had melted.

At this point, I happened to glance at the RV control panel and noticed that the little red light that needs to be on was OFF! I am guessing it went out during the very brief power outage. Pushed it in and now it is staying on and I noticed that the vanes are now chilled and beginning to freeze. Whew! I also just checked the freezer to see if there was any melted water, but it looks OK. I wiped up the little that was there from the unplanned defrosting.

The thing is, I don't remember if the refrigerator light on the top was on or showed two lights. I should have checked that, darn!! Usually, I notice those lights because I have to walk past them constantly.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Colliemom » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:03 am

Cheryl, I take Molly out for two and a half miles a day roughly, walking the roads here. Piper is now going too and she does fine. She's 6 months old. Climbs the snowbanks and all kinds of stuff. They chomp on the snow while walking and in summer I stop at the halfway point as there is a public access to a lake there and Molly lives to wade in. Piper will learn about hat this spring. So I'm sure Punkin will do just fine.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby havingfunnow » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:37 am

I just saw this on facebook and couldn't resist sharing!

Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby monik7 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:04 am

That is awesome!!!
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk