Update on My Girl

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Update on My Girl

Postby Cudedog » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:47 am

Thanks to all that have responded, and thanks to those of you who are sending hugs, prayers and good wishes.

I have not returned to the vet, for a couple of reasons.

One, she continues to take a teaspoon or so of Gerber turkey mixed with a half cup of Pedialyte, fed about every two hours during the day. She does not (currently) have diarrhea, and only vomits once during the night (she is still sleeping with me - lots of laundry, but that's ok) so she is mostly keeping things down, and remains well hydrated. In the afternoon she will bring me her ball when out in the yard to relieve herself. I do not throw it, but just drop it, and she will jump on it a time or two (as though I have thrown it), then tires. She seems a tiny bit brighter, although still very tired. She rests most of the day. She does not seem to be in pain, but this can be hard to determine - Staffordshire Bull Terriers are very stoic dogs in general.

After carefully reading the wonderful article that Wanderer2 suggested, I will start her on the overcooked rice (tiny bit at a time) later today.

Two, a week or so ago now (how time flies when you are having fun. . .) I took her in to the vet at a time she was definitely feeling better for a re-check. My regular vet, who had given her fluids that she had responded well to (a man, by the way) was not available and his assistant vet (a woman) came to me and said that she needed to be prepped for fluids as my regular vet was "backed up". I had had dealings with this woman in the past and had been unimpressed (she seems rather spacy, is a bit unkempt, and does not listen). I was over-emotional at the time (which causes my brain to switch off) and should have questioned the fact that this woman did not even examine my dog, or listen to my words that she was feeling better, before I gave My Girl to her and I allowed her to be whisked away.

When the Tech brought My Girl back just a few minutes later, My Girl was visibly shaking and panting and whining slightly (this had NOT happened on the previous visits for fluids with my regular vet) - and definitely feeling much worse than she had been just a few minutes before. My Girl panted and shook all the way home. When we had been at home only a few minutes My Girl had the most liquid foul smelling diarrhea I have ever experienced with a dog (the first - and, thankfully, the last time she has had this during her illness) - so much so I had to open all my windows and put fans in the windows to air out the smell, even though it was quite cold outside.

She was again very, very ill - when she had obviously been so very much better less than an hour before (and before the visit to this assistant vet). I will not again allow my dog to receive fluids out of my sight. I am not squeamish, so this should be no problem for me. For them? Who knows.

Thus I am unwilling to go back to this vet (or any vet - too much stress, now with her memory of whatever-it-was that happened to her behind closed doors) unless or until it becomes absolutely necessary. I feel at this point that a vet visit could only cause still more stress, and risk making her worse.

So we struggle on together. I am not yet ready to make the ultimate decision, although it has (of course) crossed my mind. I have had a very serious talk with her, explaining that it is not her time, nor is it my wish, for her to leave just yet. I have explained that I cannot bear to lose her. So long as she is not continually vomiting, does not appear to be in severe pain, does not have diaherrea, continues to take fluids and nourishment and continues to have an interest in life (brings me the ball), I will support her in her efforts.

I think she has understood. So long as she is willing and able to fight, then so am I.

Some personal notes:

Mitch: Good suggestion to keep her on just the one kind of Gerber's (turkey). Had been switching between beef and chicken, she seems to do better on just the one. Vet never suggested this. He often just seems so rushed that he doesn't have time to listen to what I have to say. Although it must be difficult to listen to a weeping woman, I admit. I thank you, Mitch.

BirdyBird: Everything you said in your post was well-thought-out and helpful, and went straight to my heart. Every point thoughtful and appreciated. Written as only someone who truly understands dogs can write. Particularly this part: Some many changes just seem like slowing down of an older dog until they take on an importance out of the ordinary. I am guessing that aquiring a new dog didn't bring this about unless it "gave" her permission to leave knowing that you would not be alone. . . Sometimes I think our animals think they need to keep going just to hold us together. I think so too, and have always thought this might be true.

Mandys Mom: Good info about the sub-Q fluids. Food for thought. Thank you.

Wanderer2: The link you sent was enormously informative and helpful. Thank you.

CollieMom: You mentioned that both dogs have been together since they were born, which made them soul mates. My Girl is mourning the loss of her mate. Yes, I definitely think that this is part of the problem, although (again, like Tina said) looking back I think this had been slowly coming on for some time, even before her soul mate passed, but I had put it down to the aging process. It only became acute, and therefore noticable, once he had gone. Thank you.

Again, thanks to all that have read my thread and special thanks to those who have responded. It helps more than you know.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you. This forum is so very comforting and wonderful. I really have no where else to turn to.

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Update on My Girl

Postby gingerK » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:52 am

I'm glad you posted an update Anne. I was wondering how your Girl was today. Keeping you both in my prayers.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Rufflesgurl » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 pm

Anne, glad your girl is doing better this morning - she knows your vigilence and love.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby Wanderer2 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:15 pm

I was glad to hear that she is doing better. You are doing your very best and she knows it! Keep us posted. Sending doggy hugs:)) Linda
Wanderer2

Postby grammynmaggie » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:56 pm

So very happy to hear she's doing better you're a good mama/nurse...
Keep up the good work more prayers for both of you....
grammynmaggie

Postby avalen » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:48 pm

Prayers and added strength coming your way
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:57 am

Eating and keeping most of it down is a good thing. Thanks for the update. We will all be thinking of you both...day by day.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby SoCalGalcas » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:01 pm

Good Work Annie, Things seem a little better for MyGirl. Thanks for posting, we are pulling for you and MyGirl. lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby JudyJB » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:56 pm

Sounds like everything you are doing is working! Nice she is feeling better.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to General Talk