Campfire

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Campfire

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:20 pm

mitch5252 wrote:
BarbaraRose wrote:...Just need to figure out how to pay for it! :roll:

Steve?

Very cute little trailer. It would be perfect for you.

Steve doesn't like to pay anywhere near asking price for anything and tends to insult people with his lowball offers. Besides, there are always strings attached when he helps me out with something financial. :roll: I would just rather figure out a way to pay for it myself. The dealer did call me the other day so I will call him back this week. I will check out what kind of financing I could do on it and see if it would be doable at all. I am also looking at a popup trailer that is really cute, in great shape and affordable for me. It would be a way to start out anyways.

Also saw a nice kayak on sale this week at a nearby sporting goods store. Will check on the trailers first before putting my money on a kayak. I can always get a kayak in the spring. Lots of those around this area for sale all the time. Next summer I will have a place to launch it here too.

I hope Nancy is OK. Hope someone can get in touch with her. Now I am worried... :?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:22 pm

Lori, thanks for understanding the distance. The Pottery man is not accustomed to our motto....hey it is only xx miles down the road lets go... :) We are at Skidaway State park which made the drive into Savannah convenient. With all the rain today we drove to Beaufort after making a drive through Hunting island State park. I can see why folks like the park but I am not sure I would like it any better that Hunting Beach State park which is just south of Myrtle beach area. Maybe I need to try them both and compare..... :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby linann » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:51 pm

Would like to check out Myrtle Beach SP and Huntington Beach SP. Unfortunately, it is always March or late October when I can take a week off, and only a week. Traveling to these two parks would mean a lot more miles pulling the travel trailer and colder weather. Interested in your opinion after you check them out. Also, what did you think about Skidaway?
Linann
Live boldly one day at a time
linann

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:00 am

Skidaway is a fine park, quiet and most of the sites are pull throughs. Nice loops for walking dogs and hike trails are here but I haven't gone very far on those. That down pour all day yesterday made it lucky that the dogs got out at all. I have been to both Huntington Beach and Myrtle beach State parks. I noticed that Huntington Beach now says they have WIFI in the park. Poor Verizon reception was my only complaint last time. There is a shady section that was closed the January I stopped in and the other section has a lot more open sky which those with satellite dishes would appreciate. Both beaches are broad and go forever or at least as far as I need to walk especially if I am hiking it several times a day. The rules for Myrtle Beach used to limit the time allowed for dogs on the beach to before 9 and after 5 from Memorial Day to Labor Day.... When I've stayed there during the summer, there was no problem getting the long walks in early or late....its summer and there is plenty of sunlight for all. :)
BirdbyBird

Postby linann » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:18 am

Hunting Island SP also has WiFi, but you must be near the camp store to use it. Seemed odd that the password changed daily, along with the gate code. Campers sit at the picnic tables outside the store when using the WiFi. I drove over to the visitor center and sat inside at a table next to an electrical outlet. It was more practical and comfortable, but I had to be done by their closing time. The WiFi was slow, but free. It was nice to work inside because I had to spread out paperwork that could blow away outside. There is also a public library nearby that probably has internet access.

I guess some state parks are finally adding internet for campers. Remember Hillsborough River SP in FL had WiFi for campers last January, but only at the camp store/cafe.

Did you take the Savannah trolley from Skidaway? I read that one of the trolley companies will pick up and return campers to the SP.
Linann
Live boldly one day at a time
linann

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:32 pm

The trolley does come out to pick folks up but only once in the morning......Not like Cherry Hill in Washington DC which is on the city bus line.... Not being an early morning mover and riser when it is not necessary, it was easier to drive into the city and come and go on our own time schedule.....
BirdbyBird

Postby gingerK » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Posted some pictures of our IL gtg in the Get Together thread. Hope they are ok, I'm not really good at posting pics.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby bikerchic777 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:49 pm

Got to Clarksville, IN on Sunday. There are 98 CamperForce who transferred up here, to work peak in Jeffersonville, IN. We started, today. Got our job assignments. A lot of people were bummed, as they were counting on being pickers. They had said 90% of us would likely be picking and 10% packing. They re-evaluated their needs and 40 of us are picking and the rest are packing. Well, they're not really packing, yet. They're doing a variety of jobs, such as prepping HRV (jewelry), assembling boxes, etc. Those of us who were picking in KY were assigned to picking, as we needed less training, having experience. It will take some getting used to, as it is primarily clothing. The nice thing is that we are all working the same shift, so we have the same days off. I have friends, here, who I wanted to spend time with, so hoping I get to, though some are staying at the other two cg's. Only a month left, so it will go fast.

OK...now you got me worried about Nancy! I checked my phone, and all of my old phones, for her phone number, but can't find it :cry: I know I had it a few years ago, when I went to the Workamper News Rendezvous. Remember, she attended some of it and I went to her house for dinner, one night. I really like her and hope she is OK. I hope someone can reach her. Has anyone sent her a PM?

Barbie...I can't afford to do this, either :lol: Somehow, I've managed to keep doing it. God watches over me, for sure ;) The TT is cute, but it said it is used and only $1,000 less than retail??? The offer to split the cost and share one may not be a bad idea. I have met others who have done that. Wish I could get my kayak to you, as I'm thinking of selling it. I just don't get to use it as much as I used to. I still have my inflatable that I can use or rent one when I need a hard side. Hope you can get out to AZ, in Jan, to get away from winter in MN.

I went back to the ENT, before leaving Campbellsville. My audiology test showed improvement in hearing on the part that tests the reaction of my eardrum. The nerve reaction stayed pretty much the same every time I was tested. The Dr. said I could have permanent nerve damage from the infection :( Some of my complaints pertain to the tube in my eardrum and should go away when it falls out...hopefully within a couple of months. It is all frustrating to me :x
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby avalen » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:51 pm

good to see you posting Linda, always enjoy your updates
one more day of work and its time to relax for a nice Thanksgiving weekend. Got my bus back out of the shop yesterday, it was in there for a couple months and my arm/shoulder was so sore from driving the spare. It was certainly nice to get back into
my new bus and now my shoulder can heal, the steering is so much easier in this one and my shoulders aren't all drawn up.
The steering wheel sets at a different angle and the "power" part is much better. Thanksgiving of course will be over at my
childrens fathers house....my first ex. Nothing else is new here, just cool (COLD) mornings but days warm up nicely, almost
to the 80's. I'm happy with that, especially since I got my car windows closed and I can drive to work without feeling like I'm
in a convertable in 40* :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby JudyJB » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Got some really good news tonight. My oldest grandson, age 9, had all negative tests for childhood diabetes! Yea!

What is amazing is that he had ALL the symptoms on a couple of lists: excessive hunger and thirst, excessive urination, sleepiness, failure to gain weight (very skinny), and dark skin areas around the folds of his neck (Acanthosis nigricans). I was about 95% the tests were going to turn out positive, so I am very relieved. Whew!

He is eating breakfast before he leaves for school, then eating his lunch in line while waiting for the bell, eating a breakfast at the school, and buying lunch at lunch time, plus a snack after school! And then his teacher was concerned because he was making a lot of trips to the bathroom. And he is the skinniest kid you have every seen. We have always joked that he has no rear end because he is just plain flat back there and his pants fall off all the time. (Even though I am short, my son is 6'3" and also skinny, but has never eaten like that.)

So now I can breathe a lot easier. Bad enough to worry about your kids, but then worse to worry about grandkids.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:00 pm

Good news about your grandson, Judy. We had the same worry about my youngest son when he was in junior high. He started losing weight so fast he looked like he was melting. He took 6 weeks of home ec and learned to read labels and eat better. He had been overweight since grade school. I took him to the doctor and he didn't have diabetes. He had just learned to eat better and not so much.

I had to go to Lafayette to pick up some horse medicine so went to Sam's to get what I need for Thanksgiving. The traffic is crazy and will just keep getting worse until after Christmas. I managed to pick up a few Christmas presents. I don't plan on trying to shop on Friday. It got dark before I got back to Abbeville so still have to go to Walmart tomorrow. Hope I can get that done in the morning and get that over with.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Readytogo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:37 pm

I haven't posted lately but I occasionally read. I actually have a number for Nancy in my phone It is from a couple years when some of us were in Crossville TN at Carolyn Wilsons Mitch does this sound like it? 501 278 XXXX Wendy
Readytogo

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:13 pm

Wendy, I edited your post with nancy's phone number. I am not sure how she feels about having her number published on a public forum.

I copied it down and will give her a call when I get home, unless someone else wants to give the number a try.
mitch5252

Postby Readytogo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Oh thank you Mitch. I forgot. I am so used to chatting on the FB page I guess which is private. Thanks Go ahead and call because Im not sure shed remember me.
Readytogo

Postby snowball » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:49 pm

let us know Mitch...how she is how here family is..isn't she one of our family that has family members struggling with cancer?
sheila
snowball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk