My name is SandieJ

Come on in and say hello.

Re: My name is SandieJ

Postby VickieP » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:46 am

Hi SandieJ, welcome to a great bunch of gals! I'm glad you posted a little about yourself so we can get to know you. You sound like you had your hands full with redoing an old house and now have full timing to look forward to. I only get away occasionally in my RV so I'm not the one to help you with sort/keep/ditch decisions, but there are quite a few here that have been through that and I'm sure they will give you input on that. So I welcome you again the tell you to join in with the discussions and get to know us.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:22 am

Welcome SandieJ!

I'm so glad you posted an introduction,... thanks! It looks like you have already cleared the decks of almost everything already. Perhaps the tons of craft stuff could be thinned out. I have that same situation as I sew, knit, and do cross stitch as well as photography and oil painting. Arrrrggghhh... it IS a situation isn't it. I'm not facing going full time so for right now I can ignore all that stuff in the closets. :lol:

I think the real estate sales will rebound eventually. Already things are improving. As you are still working can you hang in there a few more months to a year?

Jump in anywhere on the forum that you find something that interests you,..... A lot of us use Photobucket to post pictures. Once you upload to that site, then if you run your cursor over the photo you want to put on the forum it will show links below, just click on the IMG code and copy,... pasting into your message here.

I look forward to getting to know you better! :D
Cedar518

Postby avalen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:50 am

welcome welcome welcome
I remember well getting rid of all my stuff, and during that process I did have a storage
unit (3) but as time went on I got those down to none. I only kept my clothes, linens,
yarns and sewing fabrics, camping stuff, computer stuff, and kitchen stuff. AND, each
on of those was thinned and purged of what I really didn't need.
There are lots of posts where we've helped others do this, lots of good info.
So glad to have you here and looking forward to stories and pictures, kinda like
"show and tell" :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:21 am

Welcome, Sandie!!! :D Yes, as Ava said....there's alot of info on how we full-timers got rid of our stuff... ;) and I'm sure we'll tell you again....that's just the way we are here....always willing to re-tell our stories to help out....We got rid of the house before the stuff and were renting when we decided to hit the highway....so we called the kids, told them to come get their inheritance cause we were spending the rest.... :lol: They came and got what they wanted....sorted thru the rest....some went into a yard sale, some went to donations, and the rest went to the local land-fill....we stored 2 totes with the kids...you know, the stuff they can't get rid off until we are both dead and gone.... ;) and so now all we have is the everyday stuff to live in the 5er....rule of thumb we use....if you haven't worn it or used it in a year...throw it out cause you don't need it....gave most of my craft stuff to my sisters....kept only counted cross-stitch items and a crochet hook or 2...buy yard as I need it....

Okay, enough from me.....hope this helps you with the sorting....again, welcome and jump in anytime....anywhere here...
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi Sandie and welcome. As to what to take and keep, go back thru some of the General posts to one titled "Can you give me some advise". IT was the same questions and a bunch of us jumped in with our opinions of what to take and leave. Trust me, you will keep deleting the longer you're on the road. Its amazing the things you don't really "need."
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi Sandie! Glad to have you here and hope you come on often and join in with everyone.

Yep, we'll all help you pare down. Don't be afraid of it - and don't get rid of something if you aren't sure. Just remember, if you haven't used it in a long time, you probably don't need it. I kept a storage locker for about 1 1/2 - and was like being freed when I got rid of it. Thing is - lots in it I could have sold originally, but when I decided to clear it out - I just gave things that were worth money away - let someone enjoy them. Now, that makes me sound independently wealthy - far from it. But I've never needed a lot of things even though I had them.

Again - glad you're hear and look forward to much more talking with you - here and somewhere down the road.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Paulette » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:52 am

Welcome SandieJ. Glad to have you join us...we love pictures and are a very helpful bunch of ladies. Best of luck to you paring down...I'll be paying close attention to all the suggestions and recommendations. I'm still sticks and bricks bound, but ya just never know when that will change.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby Nasoosie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:15 pm

WELCOME SANDIE!

Although I KNOW I need to cut down on my stuff before I retire, I am quite sure I will still live in this house in the summers, as I truly love it here. I once thought I could leave it all year, but have re-thought that, so can actually KEEP some of my stuff! I am a hoarder, so definitely not the person to give advice on cutting back. I listen to all the advice, and will really make the attempt to get things down to where I could leave the house in the winters and not miss anything I leave behind, or something like that!

So ask all the questions you need to, and I will pay close attention, too!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Return to Introduce Yourself