Hey! From NE Oregon

Come on in and say hello.

Re: Hey! From NE Oregon

Postby Bethers » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:05 am

A friend of mine has MCS and often can't leave her home and rarely allows anyone in her home. It can be devastating for her. Myself, I have asthma that seems to have developed over chemical sensitivities so have to avoid many products and people. I'm afraid the day may come when I'll need to avoid more. I very much feel for your very real problem. But I'm also very happy that you've been able to persevere. While we may never meet in person, I'm glad you found this forum and have become a member of our family.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:17 am

Toxed2loss wrote:@Cudedog, my mountain is part of the Blue Mountain Range in Oregon. They are a volcanic formation. While there are no specifically volcanic destinations/parks nearby, a knowledgeable volcanist can see the formations everywhere they look.

True. There are volcanic landforms - hinting of past and possible future(!) eruptions - all over the western United States if one knows where to look, and how to recognize them. From ancient desert lava flows to towering peaks. They are, literally, everywhere. California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming – I could go on and on!!

These are particularly prevalent in the Pacific Northwest along the spine of the Cascades - from Central California to Canada. Thousands of them. Perhaps even tens of thousands.

Toxed2loss wrote:I'm above the Grande Ronde Valley, an ancient, inactive caldera and mud flow. I'm in sight of the Wallowas and Elkhorns. Wallow lake is not too far. Its a deep, subterranean filled volcanic lake. Icy cold. NW of Elgin stands a knob. It is the beginning of a new peak formation. I've been told that a woman owns part of it that has natural ice caves in the dormant vent tubes. She occasionally used to take people through them.

Wow. Sounds like you live in my kind of place. I am unfamiliar with this part of Oregon, but it sounds very interesting!

What is a “vent tube”? I am familiar with lava tube caves, but am not sure what a vent tube is. Please tell me more!

Toxed2loss wrote:I'm currently camped on my property in an area that speaks of being the remains of a tiny caldera. The geologic formations and soil content back up my hypothesis. Sorry if I'm getting too technical for a lot of people here. My dad and uncle (both gone now) owned, during their time, the worlds leading geotechnical company. Rock formations and geology were frequent discussions wherever we went.

Interesting! What is a "tiny caldera"? Considering the massive explosive processes involved in caldera formation, it is difficult for me to picture a 'tiny' caldera. Please tell me more! How big is it? :D

Toxed2loss wrote:Did you visit the lava tunnels when you were in Central Oregon? So cool! Idaho should be on your list! When my kids were young we did a small part of it (pre RV days). We could have spent weeks there. I wanted to go back and do an opal mining day trip in an old vent, but never got to it.

I have not visited the Oregon ice caves (are you speaking of the lava tube caves at Newberry Volcano, i.e. Newberry National Volcanic Monument?). When I visited Newberry, I had my dog with me, and he had to remain in the car. I took the time to do a short hike through the Big Obsidian Flow there, but didn’t want to be away from the car so long as to allow a stroll through a lava tube.

As for Idaho – WHOA, lots of interesting volcanic areas in Idaho. I visited Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho in 2018 – an AMAZING volcanic area, not just the monument itself, but for miles and miles all around – and, of course, nearby Yellowstone volcano on the same trip.

I have visited the lava tube ice cave in Lava Beds National Monument, on the slopes of the mighty Medicine Lake Volcano in far north-eastern California. Impressive! This was many years ago - visited on a day that was maybe 100 degrees - had heard of the ice cave there, didn't believe it possible - but it was!!

How did you come to find your home in north-eastern Oregon? What drew you to that area?

Hey, thanks! This is being interesting and fun. Takes one's mind off the current 'situation'. :D

Let the discussion continue!!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby MandysMom » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:36 pm

Like Anne, I'd love to hear more about that area of Oregon.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby amandastone » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:17 pm

Hello and welcome!
G-Power!
amandastone

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself