Two years until full time

Come on in and say hello.

Re: Two years until full time

Postby JudyJB » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:59 am

And I will be at Punderson State Park south of Cleveland for three weeks in late October. My son and his family live in Aurora. I’ll also be back there in May 2020
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Cudedog » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:38 am

BirdbyBird wrote:The high school years go past in a blur. (I suggested to both my children that they should go to college and move where ever they wanted, just to make sure it was places that were nice to visit......)

LOL. I tried for all of her high-school years to get my daughter to go to college in Vermont (I love the state, and lived there briefly about 30 years ago) but she just wasn't having it!! :lol:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby anonymoustraveler » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:42 pm

Thank you for the offer to meet! I am not able to do much right now - in the middle of leaving an abusive marriage. Need to take the time to support the kids and dream a little myself.

I do have a question about toads and hooking one up - or any option I am not considering.

I want to park for around one to two weeks and use a toad to get around.

Thoughts?
anonymoustraveler

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:43 am

Several of us have found our answer with towing "four wheels down" which means that that the vehicle has a transmission that allows it to be towed generally after being placed in neutral with tired on the pavement. Mies do not show up on the odometer. What ever you do don't trust a salesperson to know if the vehicle can be towed in this fashion. They often don't know and/or won't tell you because they want the sale. Some models that used to be towable may not be towable when presented in the next year's model. Do your research.

Once purchase their is an initial cost to set the vehicle up with a baseplate and the hooks that connect to the tow bar. There are several brands of tow bars. Members on here have different ones had each are generally satisfied with what they have. Hooking up and disconnecting is easy enough and the "Toad" just follows you down the road. The main learning curve is to increase your ability to evaluate what turning radius you need to get into and out of parking lots and gas stations, etc. You. can. not. back. up. when towing a vehicle 4 wheels down as the car will jack knife quickly and crunch..... Since you are planning/hoping to drive a smaller unit you will be able to find plenty of gas stations and parking lots that work. It is the 32-40 ft class towing another 15 feet, that I do not envy as they often have to locate the few stations and/or truck stops that will accommodate their length. Watch for the different combinations as you drive around. Some haul their toads on trailers and other actually have closed trailers. Think about it. You might be able to back up but you if you go with the other options you have the issue of where to park the trailers....and the physical need to muscle them around to park them when they aren't being needed.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby avalen » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:51 am

Welcome from AZ most of the time . I live fulltime in my fifthwheel but travel part time in my motorhome. (26' class A Winnebago)
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Cudedog » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:07 am

If you are considering a MH with a toad (with all the hooking up/unhooking having a toad also entails) - why not consider a van pulling a trailer?

Advantages are that when I get tired driving, I can (and do) pull over someplace and take a nap in the back of my van (no need to exit the van to go to the trailer). When I reach my destination, I unhook from my trailer to "see the sights" driving my van (and leaving my TT behind).

If you have any kind of budget constraints. . .

Depending on what you choose, the expense of MH & toad vs. van & TT - the van/TT combination can be considerably less expensive - both in initial purchase, and also in maintenance, upkeep and fuel-cost.

Just sayin'! :D

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:35 am

Anne, I agree both can work. But it's really personal preference... And when I researched it was less expensive for me to go with a small c and toad. I'm guessing either can be expensive or not lol. Personally I prefer driving around in a car or in my class c when not towing. But she does need to hear our different views.. And pick which one works best for her, definitely.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby anonymoustraveler » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 pm

JudyJB - I can definitely meet you at Punderson. I was just in Aurora the other day. Beautiful area!

Thanks for the advice on towing/toad. I also thought about a three wheel scooter that I could mount on the back. Looks like fun!

So many options to consider! I love the dreaming!
anonymoustraveler

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:34 pm

Welcome to the forum. Based on what you've stated, and suggestions from the ladies, a small B+ might fit what your needs are. No hooking or unhooking a trailer or a toad, easy parking just about anywhere as well as it being a vehicle you could sightsee in. But that's just my observation.

I had never camped in my entire life and thought for sure I wanted a class C for fulltiming, but after years of RV shows as well as input from knowledgeable people, I settled on a truck and trailer. Expense wise, I don't have 2 vehicles to maintain or 2 vehicle insurance bills. Every setup had its pros & cons, you'll just have to figure it what works best for you. Plus, you could change things later as your needs change. The plus is you've done it before, so you have hands on experience.

I'll be near Cuyahiga NP the second week of October. If you'd like to try get together, let me know.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby JudyJB » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:25 pm

It will be great to see you at Punderson! It can be really useful to visit several people actually living in the various types of RVs before you buy one. I can give you a tour and show you what I like and what I would change if I could.

And I live in a bigger (32') C without a toad. I decided when I started out that I did not want to bother trying to get into and out of gas stations with the extra length, nor did I want the extra expense. So I started out with just my motorhome, and yes, it does sometimes cause some problems, like trying to find a post office today I could get to, but it almost always works out. Tip: Sometimes small towns are easier to find street parking than big towns!

I have an electric bike on the back of my motorhome I use to get around campground and nearby towns if it is feasible, and I also rent a car when I am near a city and it is hard to drive around to sightsee in that city. I figure for the cost of insurance and a towbar for a toad, I can rent a car for 2-5 days each month for the same cost. FOr example, a friend from NY is coming to spend a week with me in Napa over the Labor Day weekend and the following week. My son lives there and normally I would just ride my bike or he will take me places, but because of the friend, I have a rental reserved for a week for $212 and they will come to pick me up. My friend and I are going to spend at least one day in San Francisco and doing some wine tasting and exploring while the kids are working during the week.

I had cataracts removed from both eyes in the last two weeks and mostly used Uber because there is no place to park near my doctors and I could not drive back after surgery anyway. Last winter when I had a lot of doctor appointments, I sometimes used Uber and sometimes rented a car for a few days.

By the way, do watch the weight of a three-wheeled bike and the rack. If you have only a small cargo carrying capacity, it can really make you overweight.

ANyway, there is no right way to do all of this. You will figure it out yourself. You can always start out without towing and then change your mind after a few months anyway.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby anonymoustraveler » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:20 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies and support. Since my last post I have been to NYC and back to find that I am tumor free! Check. I also attended the Hershey RV show and keeping your advice in mind, spent a good deal of time wondering and dreaming.

Upon your advice I have looked at the CCC. One rig I like has only 1600 CCC and I am concerned that there isn't enough spare room. When looking at size, I was also hoping that my kids would meet me places and camp with me at a national park over the years. That would add weight as well. What is a realistic weight expectation with a medium dog? 1000 or 1200 lbs? Or 1600 is reasonable?
anonymoustraveler

Postby Cudedog » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:14 pm

anonymoustraveler wrote: What is a realistic weight expectation with a medium dog? 1000 or 1200 lbs? Or 1600 is reasonable?

Hrm. I'm not sure I have ever heard of a dog that large. :lol: My Big Joe is about 45 pounds, and he is plenty enough dog for me... :roll: :lol:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby snowball » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:58 pm

you will find dogs that weigh around 100 pounds that is a big dog
I consider my dog not small but not medium he is around 21 pounds
sheila
snowball

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:30 am

The amount of weight we carry with us is another of those personal decisions once you get pass some basic point. Some travel with more water in their tanks as "insurance" to be sure they always have access to water and because they tend to Boondock more than others. Some travel or full time in small Road Treks and carry minimal belongings. Others can fill every compartment in a Class A or C if you let them. As in all things we carry what is important to us. Some individuals are more minimalists than others. Think of the pioneers traveling west that were told they needed to ditch that piano/some family heirloom from the east, etc., as their oxen began to die off and they had to lighten the load. If the choice is to not travel or to do without, there are many things that are not needs but only wants. For most of us the dogs and cats are needs. They and their food and needed equipment will fit just fine.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby anonymoustraveler » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:17 pm

I should know better than to post when really fatigued! I will proof better next time!
anonymoustraveler

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself