Hello from N. California

Come on in and say hello.

Hello from N. California

Postby kathyjack » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:59 am

Hi my name is Kathy. I live in Fort Bragg,CA. I am in the very, very beginning stages of exploring what it might be like to become a solo RV'er. I am a few years away from retirement ( I teach K-3, in a one room school). I have had some major (sad) life changes in the last few years and but I am excited about all the possibilities that is opening for me.

Like I said I am just beginning to explore this, I may rent an RV this summer. I am looking forward to reading and learning more on this board! Thanks!
kathyjack

Re: Hello from N. California

Postby JudyJB » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:59 pm

Welcome to the forum! Renting an RV for a few days is a good way to get started. And it is nice that you have some time to decide what style of RVing you want to do and whether or not you want to go full time.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:32 pm

Welcome, Kathy. Jump in anywhere. Ask any questions.

I jumped into RVing with no experience and it's the best thing I ever did. Hopefully you can love it as much.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Welcome to the forum from the San Francisco Bay Area. Feel free to ask whatever questions you might have. When I joined in 2012 having bought my first and only RV with no past experience, the ladies here were lifesavers.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Welcome from southern Oregon. Hope you get to realize your dream. I am not a full timer but go for extended periods of time depending on where I am going and staying.

We are a basically a small group, people come and go, and many are here all the time. But we are always helpful as we can be. Oh did I mention opinionated LOL My friend is working in Fort Bragg right now and she loves it there.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby IrishIroamed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:03 pm

Welcome Kathy~
I too thought about RVing at retirement, for about 8 years at least :lol: . Go to as many RV shows as possible to get a feel of what you may want (trailer or something you drive like a C Or A class). Thought I wanted a C, but ended up with a trailer and have been on the road fulltime for about 1 1/2 years.

You may also decide to only camp for part of the year and still have a home base. Different things work for different people. Ask away! We've all got opinions ;) and then take what works for you.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Rufflesgurl » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi Kathy - welcome to the forum from N. Central CA. Enjoy your RV search and your plans for travels!! Hope you can arrange a few short trips
to see if this way of travel is for you.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby snowball » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:05 am

Hi Welcome to the forum I am not from California :lol: . Although I full time I can be found either in Idaho for the summers or in Arizona for the winter. I tow a 5th Wheel and consider myself to be a woose so I don't go a lot but a lot get up and go... Lyn will chime in soon I am sure and she is off to see the loons in April... and she is 80+ I believe... we are a varied group who will answer any and all questions plus give an opinion... even if you are just in the thinking stage go to a gtg when one is available we usually have one in Quartzsite AZ in Jan often there is one up in Oregon some time during the year
just check out the get together page
sheila
snowball

Postby JudyJB » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:09 am

Yes, Lyn is our inspiration for chugging along at her "advanced age." I would be thrilled if I could stay on the road at her age! She is headed from San Diego to Minnesota this spring.

Oh, and the rule for going to an RV show is to leave your credit cards and checkbook at home, just in case someone tries to tell you that you need to sign on the dotted line right there or lose the "deal of a lifetime"!

And actually, I am from Michigan, but I have been hanging around Eugene, Oregon, for the last few months to get some medical things taken care of. I am heading to California and the Las Vegas area in a few days, however. Looking for warmer and dryer weather! (Raining in Las Vegas right now, I noticed, however.)
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:20 am

Welcome to the forum. You are definitely on the right track. Research and more research. Use you imagination regarding how you think you would use the spaces inside a rig and how you would like to travel and what sort of places you want to visit. There are so many choices and your preferences many change as you get more experiences on the road.

I am on my third rig in 14 years. It is a 26foot small class A. I have also had a Class C. As you look at rigs, besides the usable living space consider available usable storage spaces. How much room one needs is a personal choice, from small class Bs to full size Class A and 5th wheel. Remind yourself that driving and operating systems are all learnable skills.

Have fun! Researching and dreaming are part of the journey.

Tina
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:28 pm

Welcome to our group! Sorry to hear about your challenging past few years. This forum is a great support, not only for RVing, but also for personal challenges for those who want to share.

Good luck with your RV/TT hunt! There are several gals on here from Northern CA, Oregon area. I am in SoCal having moved out here from Minnesota less than 2 years ago.

Do you have any pets? We all love our furbabies on here!

Feel free to share anything and ask questions! :D
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby avalen » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 pm

Welcome Kathy,
I'm in Arizona with a fifthwheel and a motorhome. I live in the fifthwheel as home base and travel with the motorhome when I can. Ask any questions, don't be shy.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby snowball » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:45 pm

JudyJB wrote:Yes, Lyn is our inspiration for chugging along at her "advanced age." I would be thrilled if I could stay on the road at her age! She is headed from San Diego to Minnesota this spring.

Oh, and the rule for going to an RV show is to leave your credit cards and checkbook at home, just in case someone tries to tell you that you need to sign on the dotted line right there or lose the "deal of a lifetime"!

And actually, I am from Michigan, but I have been hanging around Eugene, Oregon, for the last few months to get some medical things taken care of. I am heading to California and the Las Vegas area in a few days, however. Looking for warmer and dryer weather! (Raining in Las Vegas right now, I noticed, however.)

Judy
I am in Vegas right now it snowed last night!!!! and more to come I think Thurs perhaps Weds. night think I saw sun on Saturday so hopefully will go back to Q then why don't you come on down there? not sure what the weather will be and a lot of the vendors will be gone but it also means you can probably get into a RV park with all the hook ups
sheila
snowball

Postby SoCalGalcas » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:43 am

Hi, I am Lyn from San Diego. A part time RV’er now. I full time for 16 years and loved every minute. Yes, I am doing a big spring trip this year. At mt age, 87, I do not recover from a long days drive as quickly as I used to, so will take several days to do this long trip.

This forum is great for meeting so many people. Along the way I will stop and visit women I have met during the past years.
We are a friendly bunch and yes, opinionated! Ask all the questions you have, then,Take what works for you.

I have had a “C”, an “A” and now a small 15 foot TT. There are pros and cons with every type of RV. As you investigate the RV world you will be surprised at all the advice you get. Go slow in making your decisions, and, like Judy said, leave the check book at home!

Welcome, Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby kathyjack » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Thanks to all of you for your kind words of welcome! This is a huge learning curve for me and Im sure I will have lots of questions. It's nice to know I have a place I can ask... BTW I have two cats, not sure if I will be able to bring them along as one of them has anxiety issues and takes medication. That will be something I have to resolve.
Kathy
kathyjack

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself