Greetings from Birdie in TX

Come on in and say hello.

Re: Greetings from Birdie in TX

Postby bluepinecones » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:48 am

Welcome Birdie!
Know you will like it here. I was the newbie until you joined and I already feel at home on the forum.

Isn't the retirement thing great? Traded my work clothes for jeans, tees, and tennis shoes immediately and have no regrets.

Envy those who do the back up/parking with ease. I still struggle with simple parallel parking a minivan! :lol:
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Sparkle » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:09 am

I know how to back up my 31 footer - in theory. Strangely my theory goes all to pot half way in. At least I can get half in, then have to go cap in hand for a MAN darn it! However, I sat next to him and he gave me some pointers. I'm ALMOST looking forward to my next back up jobby. I've got my sanity back and promise to stop thumping my dog. We made our peace last night. As he explained how else is going to tell me he needs to pee - needs to poop - needs a drink - he's hungry - he nneds a walk - he's bored. Its like traveling with a 2 year old child. Hope to see you at the Beach, Nancy.
Sparkle

Postby Echo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:01 pm

Backing up??? Ohhhh that's a snap to do!!!

NOT!!! The shorter the trailer the harder it is to control while backing up! Jeeze!

And oh Joy!!! I will have the job of teaching Kelly how to do it....... :shock:
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby Birdie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:59 pm

:lol:
Backing up is a real hoot!! Really!!! You go backwards, then you pull frontwards, then you go backwards, then you pull frontwards, then you go backwards, then you pull frontwards, by this time it is getting blue in the TV, so you go around the block and let the blue out of the TV. Then you say, I can do this, just stop and think, then you go backwards, then you pull frontwards and then you back into it - - - slick! I always do my own backing - only because I will never get it down any other way and more importantly ain't noone else there! However, I can see that at time 10 or 20 I would turn it over to someone else. But I love it when it goes easy as those Bubba's are out there watching you! :mrgreen:

But my best backing is when I am hitching up to leave. I can normally back up (I got those stick things) within inches and only have to get out and check it once to make sure I am on the straight and the TT is up high enough. But Lordy I have so much to learn! Driving through Austin or Dallas can be nerve wracking. In two weeks I am going to pass through Houston! Yea, I can hardly wait :twisted: - how else to get on the other side of Hstn? Figure I'll loop to the North rather than downtown. So if you see a Casita around Hstn on the side of the road with someone walking around it muttering it'll be me.

Did the guy at the NC rally with the 2 standards drive a Lincoln Nav? He travels across the country with those babes in that Linc and Casita.

Mtngal when you get back this way we will have to meet up. I like the tow of the Casita because when I bird, I go places no TT would ever make cuz that's where the birds are, of course. My TV is a 2007 Toy 4Runner with the tow package and I really love it and it tows the egg like it isn't even there.

Alright - you guys got a new chatterbug! Thanks everyone for welcoming me so warmly. I am sure I will see many of your on down the road! I will be a Port Lavaca - Steve took my money this morning.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby avalen » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Welcome!!! oh boy, another chatterbox, just like me :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Getupngo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:53 am

I'm so glad Birdie flew south in her retirement! Welcome to our forum. Your Forum Sisters have a wide variety of experiences and RV lifestyles. I'm in the retired-but-still-hanging-onto-my-stick-house category. I take extended trips in my MH and am glad I don't have to back a trailer. And I'm so glad I didn't take the sales proceeds from my house and put it in the MARKET, as I contemplated numerous times!

So welcome, and happy trails!
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Birdie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Ava - I spent 8 years in Tucson and spent some time birding at the Arboretum near Globe and the Gilbert Water Ranch (sewage treatment plant). Both places are good birding spots. Didn't get down to the 'river' area but one time.

Echo, it only takes a bunch of practice and remember, it is okay to do it over and over. You don't have any place to be at in a hurry, so just keep backing up. Take help when you need it and know you won't always feel like a doggie sitting behind the wheel trying to park the trailer! I am still feeling like a doggie so I don't know when that goes away...but I am sure it will!

Janice - Birdie is glad she flew south too! I am currently considering a stick house, but not sure what the final thought will be on that. Some day I will have to stop driving and it would be nice to have something other than a coffin to make my next stop. In today's market, it is a great time to buy. Considering all of my options just now.

bluepinecones (gosh I have to start remembering names) I like the stretch blue jeans - kind of allow you to come and go a bit if you find too much good food. But then I wear the 'outfitter' pants that zip off for shorts, too. Ava will agree in the desert those come in handy both when you are around cactus and when you are just walking down the street as they are cooler than jeans. I love northern Alabama for a visit to spot. I spent a week in Birmingham a year ago December. It was nice.

It has been a great welcome from you all. :idea: Perhaps we can make arrangements for a 'trailer backing up' contest. Winner buys wine for all! What do you think?

Birdie in cloudy and windy New Braunfels, TX
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself