Dreaming and considering

Come on in and say hello.

Re: Dreaming and considering

Postby snowball » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:03 pm

just a thought ... my husband had to access the underside of the 5th wheel... which has a undercarriage. that "flap" he taped up time and time again after he passed away my sil was taping and had a brain storm used zip ties to hold the flap closed we no longer have tape flapping away... :lol: so if you have an under carriage you could put holes in it and secure the x pens to it with a zip tie the come in lots of different sizes... and then again perhaps it wouldn't work but sometime to look at
my windows are on the side of the bed never have had them above the bed... don't think I would like it either when it's warm enough I have both open hasn't been warm enough yet
sheila
snowball

Postby JudyJB » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:53 pm

And if you had canaries, you would not need a propane detector!! (Yes, I know that is sick.)
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:59 pm

I have a question. I have no problem with your deciding on a Class A, but I don't understand why a class C couldn't do any incline. Both my current and my last could.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby slam308 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:03 pm

Beth,
My ideal class C was the Minnie Winnie 31D. Again, it has opposing slides for more room for dogs. When I contacted Winnebago, they said the departure angle was 6%. Our driveway is 9%, and that's not including the crown in the road. Those long overhangs in the back would never make it up our driveway. I asked Winnebago about their class A's and I forget what the actual number was, but it was somewhere in the 20-30% range.
I contacted a couple other companies about class C departure angles and they never got back to me.

Some 26 or 27' class C's might make it, and might be okay for me and the dogs, but once I add my husband into the mix... he want's bigger. So, Class A it is.

Judy, you have a twisted sense of humor like I do! :lol:
slam308

Postby JudyJB » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:30 pm

I will admit that my 32' Class C has a problem dragging on a lot of parking lot or gas station entrances. I chatted with some guy in another Class C in a parking lot once who had heard the scraping noise as I was going into a Lowes, and he said that years before he had installed metal wheels on the frame in the back. I have never gone to that length, but I am careful about getting into and out of gas stations and parking lots. Scraped the other day heading into a gas station even though I hit it at an angle. Took another entrance that was flatter on my way out.

Actually, it is not the incline of the entrance that is the problem, but the fact that it levels out at the bottom or the roadway is inclined up while the driveway is inclined down!!

The cause in my rig is the short wheelbase compared to the very long overhang to get it to 32 feet. It has never damaged anything, but I really HATE the horrible scraping noise. A few of those scrapes in the asphalt you see were made by me and other very long Class Cs. I even had problems in one campground road that went down a drainage dip and then up again at too sharp an angle.

Also, my cargo carrying capacity it at its maximum. (Actually, my rig is about 200 pounds overweight.) I have a lot of potential storage space I cannot use because of having only 1,300 pounds of CCC. That means, there is no way I could travel with a full fresh water tank without really overloading my vehicle. I like my motorhome, but if I had to do it over again, I would go for a small A for the CCC and bigger waste tanks.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby MandysMom » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:06 am

A few years back, we were headed home and passed by the grocery store close to us. One end has a relatively flat entrance but the other is quite a hill. Stuck, literally high centered and floating there was a long Class C. The man was walking around scratching his head while the woman was off to the side looking very much like an "I told you so!" type mad. We didn't stick around to see how tow truck got them out or how much damage to the C.
Beth, it's those longer Class C's with that extra long overhang behind rear axle that scrape or even get hung up. Some are 8 ft or longer. Judy do you know distance from rear axle to back of your coach? I'd far rather have a30 ft A than a30 ft C, simply because of clearance. But also for tank size and CCC.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby slam308 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:01 pm

I actually just heard back from a Jayco rep the other day. I'd asked about two class C's and two class A's. He said he'd heard back from the engineers about two of the units, one C and one A, and neither would make it up our driveway. He's still waiting about info on the other two RVs.
Our driveway is very wide at the bottom, so we would have a little bit of wiggle room if we take it at an angle, but there are enough RVs out there that I know I wouldn't have to worry about it at all. All things considered, I'd rather pick one that I know won't be a problem.
slam308

Postby Bethers » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:13 am

It's very smart to do your homework on this!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby slam308 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi all,
Just checking in again. Been busy at work and spending time outside now that the weather has broken a bit.
I've got my eye on two 2018 Winnebago 30T's. One's used with 8000 miles and one's a new leftover that was just reduced to less than the used one. Hopefully they'll still be available when we're ready to purchase. If not, that's fine too. When it's meant to be, it'll happen.
I also found two 2017 new leftovers way on the other side of the country, but it scares me quite a bit that they've been sitting that long. They also have the dinette option instead of the buffet and slide out table that we'd prefer. I'm assuming that's why they never sold. What do dealers do with leftover stock that's that old and not selling?? I even considered (a tiny bit) offering a ridiculously low price and seeing where that leads, but would you even consider buying something that's been sitting for two or maybe even three years? I'd think new tires and batteries would be requested as part of the deal right off the bat.

I got another follow up email from Jayco and the only RVs they have that would work with our driveway are their 22-24' models, which wouldn't work for us.
slam308

Postby Redetotry » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:17 am

For any RV you purchase from a dealer I've read that you should offer at least 20% lower than their asking price. Good luck with the search!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby bluepinecones » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:14 pm

Welcome.
Love the dog photo.. he is a big boy
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby slam308 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi all,
Thought I'd check in again. We were crazy busy this past month as we hosted our dog club puppy match at our house last week. Over 50 people were here and an acquaintance and her husband stayed over for the weekend in our mother-in-law apartment. So, not only did we have to get the grounds and garage/shop ready for the show, I also had to clean the house so it too was ready for company. I'm not complaining since the house could use a good spring cleaning, but we were running around like crazy for a couple weeks to get things ready.
Once I got back on my computer I was happy to see that the RV we've set our sights on is still available and they've even reduced the price. We're hoping to meet with the accountant in May and hoping he'll give us the go-ahead to buy it. I can't wait for that first trial run camping in our driveway for a long weekend. After that, we've got a campground about an hour away that friends of our stay in almost every weekend, and then my first solo trip will be a dog show three hours away and, coincidentally, only about 10 minutes away from my niece's house. A nice fall back, just in case.
Shari
slam308

Postby Bethers » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:44 pm

Shari, exciting that the rv is still available and with a price drop! Sounds like you've been super busy. And fun times, too.
Beth
Bethers

Postby slam308 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:45 pm

Beth,
I can't wait to actually start our adventure. It'll be nice to ask actual real world questions and be able to contribute to the forum instead of all this self-centered, once I get there, posting. :)
What kind of dog is your baby? He/she looks so happy all curled up. I was staying at a hotel one time for an Irish Wolfhound dog show and when I looked out in the morning a class A RV had pulled in. There was a wolfhound laying in the sun across the top of the dash! I wish I'd taken a picture! He took up the entire window.
Shari
slam308

Postby Bethers » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:49 pm

I always have rescues. Lost my Peaches last June. Here you see my latest adoption Ty that I got last July. He's 1/2 Jack Russell terrier almost certainly. The other 1/2, best guess is dachshund. I can't imagine being dogless. One friend told me the month was without I was worse than a person who had just quit smoking

As you can see, lots of our talk is not about RVing. Join in the morning coffee thread when you want. Sometimes I say the most mundane things. Lol

But we also will talk anything RVing.
Beth
Bethers

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself