Dreaming and considering

Come on in and say hello.

Dreaming and considering

Postby slam308 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi Everyone,
I've been dreaming/researching for a year or two now for a class A or C motorhome. For the next 6 1/2 years until I retire it would be mostly used for me alone while I go to dog shows. I do one week long show a year and 4-5 three day shows. The week long show alternates east coast and west coast every other year. The three days shows are all within a 4 hour drive from home.
At this point I'm limiting myself to Jayco because there are just too many options otherwise. I'm not a very spatial thinker, so when people say to picture yourself living and moving around a floor plan on a piece of paper, I just can't do that. I also like that they have a 2 yr warranty and, according to the sales guy, a higher roof load than others. But mostly it's just to limit myself, lol.
I've driven a 32' fire truck recreationally, (we belong to an antique fire truck club) so that's the max length I'm considering right now.

I do like the separate shower, as I hear they're usually a tad bigger than when the shower/toilet/sink are all in the same room. I'm not crazy about having the dinette right next to the couch as that seems to limit conversation space if I have people over to visit, but then someone brought up the issue of having appliances on a slide and how that can create problems. I DON'T like a corner bed. Other than that, I have no clue what I'm looking for.
My husband is all in favor of getting whatever I want and he pictures the occasional weekend getaway. Whether or not that will happen before I retire, I have no idea.

So, without rambling on too much, that's my story. I'm sure I'll have a lot of really basic "how do you" questions, but look forward to learning from all of you.
Shari
slam308

Re: Dreaming and considering

Postby Bethers » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Welcome, Shari! Glad to have you with us. We have another member who is frequently traipsing to dog shows. I'm sure she'll chime in when she reads your intro.

I suggest going where the rv's are and looking... I can only do on paper after I've seen most. And the separate showers from rooms with the toilet are most often in larger rigs, particularly 5th wheels and A's. I'm not sure I've seen that in a C. But I prefer ask in one so might not have noticed.

Join in anywhere... And there is a morning thread started daily (by whoever gets there first.. Feel free)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Rufflesgurl » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Welcome Shari from No. Central CA. What kind of dog(s) will you be showing? I have a 2016 Winnebago 25' Navion Class C. Have fun finding your RV!

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby JudyJB » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:22 pm

Welcome to the forum!! I would not worry about the kitchen appliances being on a slide. My refrigerator is stationary, but my stove/oven and microwave are on a slide, along with the kitchen sink, all my kitchen cupboards, and even the sofa! I've been full-timing for over five years, and so far, no problems.

My shower is in the bathroom and adequate for me, but it is on a platform and not good for someone who is tall. So, depending on how tall you and your husband are, you also need to look for height.

Can you tell us what part of the country you live in? We like to get together in small or even large groups, so you might want to check the Get-together area to see if one will be in your area. I'm on the coast of Oregon right now, freezing tonight in the rain, but will be headed down to Napa where my son lives and then bouncing around southern California until Christmas, when I head to Nevada and Arizona.

Judy
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby snowball » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:43 pm

welcome to the forum...visit lots of rv shows you can go in check things out when you narrow it down then
try things out act like you are living in it...take a pretend shower use the potty lay on the bed make that meal you delight in making figure out where your must haves would go...mine was photo's of family so this 5th wheel has lots of wall space....spend as much time as the salesman will let you then return and return...be mindful of storage....will you full time or some time....if full time then you need to look at things a bit differently...
have fun in the looking and some will say you will change your rigs often me well I don't know have had this 11 years lived full time for 10 and can't imagine being in another space...
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:11 am

Welcome Shari ! I'm in northern California! Take your time, you will find our home on wheels.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:21 am

I know it can seem overwhelming but try not to limit yourself to just one brand. Go to as many RV lots as you can, smile at the salespersons, don't believe much of anything they say, climb in and out of as many models as you have the energy, get an idea of the different ways space can be used, smile again at the salesperson and walk away. The more you see with your eyes the more some of the floor plan prints make sense. I also show my dogs as well as heading off a couple times a year to explore and camp or just escape the winter. Where I plan to put my dog crates has greatly influences my purchase/s. Where I can store the grooming table/s, x-pens, large dryer, dog food and box of gear needs to be considered. I am not the only dog show person to take out dinettes and or couches to make a rig work better for the dogs. If you know folks that show and travel with dogs, you might ask to see how they have configured the inside of their rigs. There are the rigs that the professional handlers use with walls of crates but think about the owner handlers and how they live with their dogs. I see folks at dog shows in everything from large Provosts to Road Treks. Everyones idea of sufficient space is relative to their needs and tolerances. Same goes for traveling with a second person.

And what other "toys" would you want to bring with you? Will you be towing a car? It isn't always about how big a rig you can drive but how big a rig do you want to drive. The larger the rig the more consideration you have to have for getting into and out of gas stations. Many of the lovely National Parks and older state parks have fewer sites available for the bigger rigs, while some of the really nice resort places have lovely pull throughs, all the bells and whistles and trim all the branches away so anything will fit!

The research and looking is all part of the adventure.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby avalen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Welcome Shari
I came across a nice class a after I retired and was so happy to make the plunge. I originally wanted a class c but this deal was calling my name. I drove big busses near 30 years so the class a was not an issue. Its just a 26' and has plenty of room for long trips or even full time if I decide. Check out the rv shows. My bathroom is all in one and suits me fine but everyone has their preferences. When you go to the rv shows, stand in the shower and see how it feels, sit on the commode ( don't actually use it, lol), stand at the kitchen counter and pretend to put a meal together. All these things will help you decide what is best for you.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby slam308 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:04 pm

I'm from central or southern New Jersey, depends who you ask. (I always feel compelled to add that I was born and raised in CT, so no, I'm NOT a Jersey Girl! :D )
I have been to one RV show and have been to a large multi brand dealer a couple times. There's another RV show in October that I'm planning on going to. I actually learned more and had a better time spending a couple hours at the dealers. There are almost too many choices at the show and it gets to be a bit of overload.
I'd really love to see the 26' Jayco Alante in person, but there are none around here. I think the nearest one I found was 5 hours away in NY.

I have Irish Wolfhounds, so it'll actually be like travelling with a couple extra people as far as space is concerned. I suppose I could put a gate across the back bedroom and consider that my "crate".
Shari
slam308

Postby JudyJB » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:25 pm

Or, you could buy a toy hauler and use the back space for a dog crate and grooming area. That way, you would still have all your people-space available.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby snowball » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:48 am

I was going to suggest a toy hauler but Judi beat me to it :lol: they come in all lengths and types might be just the thing
sheila
snowball

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 am

The advantage of traveling to any good sized dog shows at least here in the mid-west, is that you can see all sort of set ups on the ground! Toy haulers are very popular with many handlers and everyday folks especially with larger dogs or large numbers of dogs.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Liz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:43 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby slam308 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Hello again. Sorry I've been lax in keeping up with things, this is the start of my busiest time of year at work. (For both of my jobs.)
This is my youngest boy and my husband...and also a trial to see if I can figure out how to post a picture...

This is why I say I need enough room for two or three people even though I'll most likely be the only one in the RV. :D
Shari
slam308

Postby Bethers » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:42 pm

What a beautiful boy!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself