Dreaming and considering

Come on in and say hello.

Re: Dreaming and considering

Postby JudyJB » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:43 am

Top of the dash in a Class A is also the cat spot. As I pass other motorhomes, I have seen a lot of cats riding down the highway in this area because they get great views of stuff. I also was at a campground where the owners had been trying to train their big dog to stay off the dash. They left and a lot of us enjoyed seeing him taking advantage of the spot while his owners were gone.

I have no pets because I do not like to leave animals in an RV by themselves, but maybe someday I will get a cat. Surprisingly, cats do very well living in RVs. Only problem is the litter box.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Birdie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:34 am

Shari, I sent you a PM about my Winnebago Vista 30T. Winnebago makes a pretty good rig.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Re: Dreaming and considering--/DONE!!!

Postby slam308 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:16 pm

Finally! FINALLY!! YIPPEE!!!!

Deposit paid! Paperwork in progress!
Finishing up the formalities and looking at flight info to go out and pick up my brand new 2020 Winnebago Adventurer 30T from Lichtsinn RV.

I'm looking at a two day road trip home, so my first question is what will I need as far as accessories (not included in the purchase of the coach itself) just to make the trip home. After that, I'm thinking I'll make contact with my local dealership and spend some money there to buy the other long-term use accessories and maybe make a good relationship with the dealership that will be servicing my coach or providing any warranty work I might need.

I may be able to get things a couple bucks cheaper on Amazon, but maybe I'll be better served by making myself known to the local dealer?

I've been dreaming and planning for close to 5 years and it's finally coming to fruition. Any advise you ladies can give me would be a huge help.
Shari
slam308

Postby JudyJB » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:26 pm

Is that Lichtsinn RV in Iowa?? That is a 1,200 mile drive to New Jersey, which is a very long way in an RV. Or do you live somewhere closer than that? Or do you have a second driver?? Most of us limit ourselves to no more than 200-250 miles per day of driving because it is definitely more tiring to drive a motorhome than a regular car. And I usually do not like to drive every single day.

Also, are you staying near the dealer for a couple of days to make sure everything works? I know I went for a three day practice camping session when I bought my new motorhome and ended up with a list of several things that needed to be fixed. It is a lot easier to get them fixed at the dealer where you bought it than at another dealer.

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase!
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby slam308 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:10 am

Good morning Judy,
Yes, it's Lichtsinn RV in Iowa and I do live in NJ. I'll be staying there for a day or two and then heading home. I'm waiting on my friend's schedule to see if she can go out with me. If so, she can drive too. If she can't go, my mom's going to go with me. I'm not sure if she'll drive, but I'd bet she will.

Either way, I love to drive. Thankfully, my boss is very understanding, so if I realize I'm overestimating my abilities, I'll take a couple extra days to make the trip. I drove 13 hours back from Missouri last year in one shot. Granted, that was in my minivan, but it was a piece of cake and I enjoyed the whole trip.
Shari
slam308

Postby JudyJB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:35 am

I also used to have a minivan and had driven 600-700 miles per day, but you will find it very different driving a large motorhome. The wind can cause you to slow down and hold more tightly to the steering wheel to keep control of the vehicle--consider what it is like in wind driving a billboard down the highway!

Anyway, do take it easy because you do not want to wreck your brand-new vehicle on the way home. :)
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby Bethers » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:42 pm

Congrats. And I second Judy's suggestion about not rushing. I had a lead foot back in the day. I drive the motorhome at 60-65 mph max. I'm guessing you'll be taking the interstates. Those will effect you even more if there's any wind whatsoever. I still love driving, but I'm in my home now and want it to survive as well as me.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby slam308 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:55 pm

I've thought about your comments all day and am going to make sure I've got an entire week off, instead of just taking Wed, Thurs, Fri. If I fly out Sunday, that gives me 7 whole days instead of four (figuring flying out Wed originally.) Better safe than sorry. Thanks for getting my head in the right place.
And, if needed, I can always add to that time off without an issue.

So, what do you think I'd need for the trip home? The dealership will fill the water and propane before I leave. If it sits until the following weekend before I dump the black/grey tanks, will that be okay?

I still can't believe this is finally happening!!
Shari
slam308

Postby JudyJB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:40 pm

How cold is it expected to be in NJ when you get home? Might want to check temps on your route home. If your tanks are enclosed, you can handle an overnight in temps down to maybe 28, or are you keeping the rig winterized until you get home?? (I have spent nights down to 24, but I would not want to do that in a new rig.)

And are you going to be sleeping in it? Do you have bedding and a pillow?

I would stop before I leave and load up on cleaning supplies and paper stuff like toilet paper, paper towel, window cleaner, paper plates and cups, etc. It certainly won't go to waste.

Plus, how about a towel or two and a rug for the door and maybe one for the bathroom? You don't want to track stuff in, and you might want to run the refrig, so I would add some drinks and sandwich stuff, plus some fruit and munchies for the road. No more restaurants, remember??
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby Bethers » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:51 pm

If you are going to run the furnace and keep the hot water tank on, I'm often in overnight temps down to the high teens/low 20's. But that means going through quite a bit of propane. You'll need to winterize (or have the rig winterized) when you get home until temps are warm enough to not worry about things freezing when not in use.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby slam308 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:49 pm

New and Improved Plan-
Shooting for the last week in March. I'm going to fly out Monday, do the paperwork, orientation, etc. My best friend, Marg, is going to fly out Wednesday. Depending how things go, we can leave, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. We've got three days to drive home, or more if it's really needed. I've still got to okay this with the dealership and my boss, but I don't see any problems with that.

I've got an inquiry in to the dealership about the winterizing and staying in the coach on site. I know they all come with the cold weather package now, including enclosed heated tanks. I'm hoping the weather is a little more forgiving. Considering our lack of winter in NJ so far, I'll be more worried that at AC is working once I get home! :roll:

We will be staying in it on our way home. My mom suggested asking if I can ship a box to myself at the dealership with the sheets, blankets and some basics, so I'm going to check on that too. I know the dealership will give me a car to use, so I'll get paper items, drinks, snacks and some quick, easy food. Great idea for the small rugs and probably would have forgotten some towels, thank you.

If I do keep the furnace and water heater on, do you think I'd have to get propane along the way, or will it last for the trip? I don't need to run around in shorts, but don't want anything to freeze.
Shari
slam308

Postby Bethers » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:56 pm

You should have plenty of propane for the trip.
Beth
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:00 am

Also, a lot of UPS stores will let you ship things there. They will charge you a $5 charge or something similar and will hold it a limited time, but it is an option if the dealer will not let you ship stuff.

And chances are that you will only need to run the furnace at night. However, you will have plenty of propane for your drive home. In slightly chilly weather, my 10 cu ft tank will last 3-4 weeks or even more.
JudyJB
JudyJB

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself