Finally ready to make the leap

Come on in and say hello.

Re: Finally ready to make the leap

Postby snowball » Thu May 04, 2017 8:52 pm

bghouse wrote:
BirdbyBird wrote:It is recommended that you make your site as occupied in some way though to be sure that it is still empty when you get back.

What are some ways that are easy to do this, but not have to risk getting stuff taken?

I think that the campsites are just as safe or safer than a local neighborhood...I've only had one thing go missing
still ticks me off as it was irreplaceable just didn't think about putting it inside. I do when I go away put
some stuff away others I leave out ...but one thing you can use is a sign site occupied..... a chair ect table cloth on the table
lots of different things will work
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Thu May 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Make sure a Thousand Trails membership would be used before you purchase. Most of their parks aren't where I'd want to stay location-wise. And the couple I've checked out wouldn't be on my short list to stay at. So, for me, it's not worth ur. Others on here do find it worth it. But to buy it hoping it would be and find it after... That's not recommended.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bghouse » Thu May 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks Beth. I'm such a compulsive researcher / planner that it's already on my list. Sometimes I think i'd launch into this lifestyle better if I didn't plan so much - and yet, I plan :lol:
bghouse

Postby JudyJB » Fri May 05, 2017 12:10 am

Sue from Michigan made me an occupied sign, and I used it for 2 years, but it was very heavy. I ordered one of those yellow folding boards they use to denote a wet floor. I don't know if this is the exact one, but it looked like this: https://www.amazon.com/HDFSY-Height-Yel ... afety+sign

Then, I tried to paint some letters on it, but it looked so bad, I wiped them off and used some stick-on black vinyl letters I got at Michael's. The resulting sign said "Campsite Occupied" on one side and "Be Right Back" on the other. The only problem is that it tends to blow over. If I can push the legs into the dirt, it will be fine. Otherwise, I stick it over my small stool.

Putting a tablecloth on the table also helps. Sometimes people think you have abandoned stuff, so I often tell my neighbors I will be coming and going. Now, some funny stories--once I drove up to the dump station to empty my tanks. A young man came running up (it was at least a quarter mile away) carrying my hose because I had "forgotten" it. He was red-faced and out of breath. :lol: Had same problem with people chasing me down with forgotten items until I started putting my sign out!!

And, Sue, when I was done with the sign, I left it next to the dumpster. It was missing a couple of hours later, so I may see it again some day!

And since the Thousand Trails passes are so expensive, you might want to try out a couple of their campgrounds before you spend the money on one.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Cudedog » Fri May 05, 2017 10:16 am

Bethers wrote:Make sure a Thousand Trails membership would be used before you purchase. Most of their parks aren't where I'd want to stay location-wise. And the couple I've checked out wouldn't be on my short list to stay at. So, for me, it's not worth ur. Others on here do find it worth it. But to buy it hoping it would be and find it after... That's not recommended.

I live not too far from a Thousand Trails. A few years ago, I went over to check it out - mainly because if I was a member it would give me camping & swimming pool access for my kids (they were still at home then) for the summer.

I was pretty shocked when I took the tour. The RV's were literally packed in there like sardines in a can. They were so close together I doubt that the doors could be fully opened, let alone putting an awning out. It was an eye-opener, and caused me to check Thousand Trails right off my list. Not even close to my idea of "camping".

Not sure if they are all like this, but this one sure was. Not sure if this is still the case, but Thousand Trails was pricey, and you were stuck paying a big monthly fee, basically until you croaked - or could offload your "membership" to someone else.

Be sure you do your homework before you invest. Make no mistake, a Thousand Trails membership is an expensive, long-term investment - whether you use the camping facilities or not.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby bghouse » Fri May 05, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks guys - definitely much to research and study for sure.
bghouse

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sat May 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi Barbara, I live in San Diego. I would love to meet you and we could discuss all the pros and cons of different rigs. I full-timed for 16 years and now just do long and short trips in my little TT.
If you would PM me I could send you my contact info.
lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby bghouse » Mon May 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks everyone!
bghouse

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself