Hi. Nice to meet you.

Come on in and say hello.

Hi. Nice to meet you.

Postby daydreamer08 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:44 am

Hi, I'm new.

I bought a large, 37 foot, fifth wheel last spring for my boyfriend and myself to live in while we traveled and he worked odd jobs. I am 55, semi retired and can work from anywhere. He had the truck - Chevy dually. He drove big trucks so towing was no big deal for him and could set it up, level it, attach what needed to be attached with his eyes closed.

We broke up, I put the fifth wheel in storage for the winter so I could have time to figure out whether to sell it or to jump in by myself. I really think I want to stay with the plan but I am scared. I guess I would need to purchase a really big truck to tow this heavy thing and then sign up for classes to learn how to tow. And learn how to set it up. And then figure out where to go. Which seems pretty overwhelming. And I'm tiny. 4'10'.

I've done most of my downsizing and would either rent my house furnished with the good stuff locked in the attic for now or just leave it vacant.

I was pretty happy to find this forum.

Nice to meet you,
Lori
daydreamer08

Re: Hi. Nice to meet you.

Postby Bethers » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi and welcome Lori. Sorry it took all day to get you approved. I wasn't on the forum!

Yes, you can do this if it's what you want. You already have the 5ver, so you have the necessary information to find what type of truck you'd need. There are rv driving schools, and if you were in Arizona, I'd have someone who could teach you. But they have instructors across the country. Everyone in an rv should be able to drive.

As to the rv stuff, it's just learning a new skill set. My understanding is that a 5er is easier to hook up and tow than a trailer. I'm biased towards my class c, but we have plenty of ladies on here that are fans of each of the possibilities. And lots who are willing to help.

Glad you are here.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:51 pm

Welcome to the forum. Take a big breath and think about how you want to travel and live now that it is your decision alone. It seems that whatever decision you make there will be additional money involved. Before you invest in a big truck you might want to revisit some of the other RV options that are out there. Many love 5 wheels especially when they drive and park for extended stays. If you are planning to travel and move often and/or stay in some of the older campgrounds, with smaller sites......a different rig might fit better. Research and more research! :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby snowball » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Welcome and what Tina said...I tow a 36Ft 5th wheel...but when we started it was my husband and myself
now it is me and my dog... you can do it you want to bad enough...up to you but do the research and see
what is best for you....when we got the 5th wheel it was best for us....is it best for me not sure but see I love
my 5th wheel...and really don't want to leave it...however if I had my wishes I'd would place it somewhere and travel
in a smaller rig from it ..but at this point in time can't change things...so really look before you go and get
a truck to pull that 5th wheel...I just got a 3500 dully diesel Ram
sheila
snowball

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:28 am

I agree with some of the ladies. You might want to reconsider and go into maybe a smaller RV and tow a car which I think is easier than a big truck and towing a big 5th wheel. I fulltimed in a 30' RV and towed a car. I downsized to a 19' RV when I quit fulltiming. A lot of our ladies drive BIG class A's and tow 5th wheels. You can do learn to do anything you put your mind to.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Rufflesgurl » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:38 am

Hi Lori - welcome from N. Central CA. Have fun learning how to handle your 5th wheel and truck or maybe even consider a smaller RV.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi Lori from southern Oregon. I drive a 35ft Class A and tow my SUV. I love it. I explored all options before settling on this one and knew I did not want to tow a trailer. The 5th wheel was too much work for me. So therefore the A was my way to go. I had Class C's before this. A few of the gals have a small Class A. Winnebago Vista 27ft, Tina has a Vegas I believe not sure how long hers is.

I like being able to set up a home base for a week or month etc and use my car to go exploring in, much cheaper and safer LOL There are so many variables for what you want to do or go. Are you planning on parking and sitting? Exploring a lot? Driving somewhere new frequently? these are all things each of us has to personally decide for themselves.

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby MandysMom » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:13 pm

Welcome from Northern California !
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Liz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:49 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby daydreamer08 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:01 am

Hi New Friends-

You have given me a lot to think about. Here is how the day and my thoughts progressed.

I stopped at the neighborhood CDL truck training shop today and happily discovered they also teach how to drive/tow RV's.
I made the decision that if I was to trade the 5th wheel for something else, I probably wouldn't. At this point, I either use it and love the life style or sell it and move on. So it is going to be this fifth wheel or nothing. If after a while, I discover something else would suit me better, I will revaluate options at that time.

The nice man at the CDL place looked up the weight and what I would need for a truck and I am happy that I only need single rear wheels. (I am unsure how to correctly spell duely). This will make it so much easier to get around after the thing is unhooked. I am kind of excited to learn how to do this myself. I am scared of the driving part, but he seems like he will be a great teacher.

I doubt I will be moving it often. Most likely, seasonal spots or moving it after several months or so. I am looking to be a full timer. Which will be nicer with a larger rig.

Thank you all so much for your notes and encouragement! I am getting excited!

Best,
Lori
daydreamer08

Postby Bethers » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:17 am

I'm glad you're going ahead... Whatever works for you, great. And knowing things can possibly change down the road, good also. This is really very much a jello lifestyle. Get those lessons under your belt and you'll be a pro in no time. And probably still a little jittery for awhile.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Welcome to the forum. I live full time in a 32' motorhome, but I keep on the go, moving every few days. Also, I manage without towing a car, so you can do that if you want to. My motorhome is easy for me to drive, and extremely easy for me to hook up and unhook. Also easier to back into a spot, but I wanted that because I do a lot of moving.

If you are going to stay in one spot for weeks or months, a 5th wheel is a good choice. It takes a little more effort to hook up and unhook, but you won't be doing it very often and having the truck will work out fine.

As the other ladies said, if you change your living and traveling style, you can always sell your rig and truck and get something smaller and easier for whatever style you prefer.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby snowball » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:45 pm

I really thought that I wouldn't like the duelly but for the most part I don't have a problem going
where I want to ....drive ups ect have to know ahead of time but the McD's here for my ice cream fix
no problem... :lol: the bank in Parker don't think I will try it...
sheila
snowball

Postby IrishIroamed » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi Lori ~ Nice to meet you too. Sorry about being late to your welcome party, but am wishing you the best on your new adventure. I agree with the ladies...you can do it! Might just take awhile to figure out what will be the best roaming home for you. Have fun and enjoy. :)
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:09 pm

Sounds like you have made your decision to stay with the 5th wheel. I have heard they are easier to tow than a travel trailer.
And if you are planning to stay in one place for awhile each time, then that is probably also a good fit.

Good luck with your training and travel plans!

What part of the country are you in right now?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself