Greetings from the California Delta

Come on in and say hello.

Greetings from the California Delta

Postby escapeartist » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:19 pm

So happy to find a group like this. I am a retired journalist. I have been a travel writer for many years and an editor of magazines. I am also a sailor and most of my personal travel time has been in boats, delivering some up and down the coast of California. I have spent the past few years making a house on the water habitable. Now that it is just the way I want it, I am thinking about taking off and driving around the States. Go figure.

After months of looking at Sprinters, going back and forth, trying to figure out what kind of RV I wanted, could afford, and did I want one at all, I found the Rialta. I had a list of everything I would want in an RV and it fit the bill for many of them. I had thought I needed something big enough to carry my grandkids...not really...how much time do they have to travel around with me? I also wanted a "made up" bed, and that would be nice, but it means you have to have a pretty big rig. The Rialta just kind of spoke to me. I flew to southern California, bought it and registered it in my name in a few hours and drove it home to the Bay area. It took me a couple of days to realise I had actually done this!

I am now in the process of sewing slipcovers for the furniture in my new tiny home and trying to figure out where I am going to go and what I am going to do. That is where this site will be invaluable. I have hardly even camped out in an RV, so have a lot to learn. I did rent a Navion sprinter for 3 days and decided I really did not like the slideouts and the large feeling of driving it in towns.

I hope to take a cross-country trip in the autumn with my Bichon-mix Lucy (she rescued me)....maybe for the winter, don't know. When I get back, I will either sell the Rialta and go back to boats and water, or I may decide to become a land lubber. I cannot imagine being a full timer, not in a Rialta anyway, and not as long as the summers at my house are so great, but who knows what the future will bring.

If you have any advice on how to go about learning the ropes, please let me know. My initial reaction (RV rental) was that I did not like lining up about 5' or 10' from another RV and paying $80 for that. Of course, I know I can't always sleep in parking lots, nor do I want to. I guess I would still like some back-to-nature, hiking and peace without having to backpack to get it. I need to find out about off-the-beaten-track places; would also love to spend a month in New Orleans...as close to the city as possible....for that I would pay more money. My expectations of a John Steinbeck road trip are probably unrealistic.

Look forward to meeting some of you.
escapeartist

Re: Greetings from the California Delta

Postby JudyJB » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:10 pm

Welcome to the forum. We can certainly give you tips on out of the way places. I also dislike commercial campgrounds and prefer state and regional parks, along with a few national parks. And actually, there are a couple of great Corps of Engineering not too far from you. One is Hidden View at Hensley Lake and the other is Codorniz Recreation Area on Eastman Lake. Mostly I like Hidden View because it also has a good cell signal, while Codorniz does not, but both are very nice with views.

WIll fill you in on some other places when you come for a visit--which should actually be in a few minutes. (I recruited this lady, folks, and she is coming soon.)
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Rufflesgurl » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:36 pm

Welcome Escapeartist from N. Central CA - close to Tracy for almost 2 years. Hope you are enjoying your new to you RV. How long have you lived near the Delta?

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby monik7 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:40 pm

Welcome from another Bay Area resident. While the Navion didn't appeal to you, it's been a perfect 4 years for me.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:00 pm

Welcome to the forum. My first motorhome was a Le Sharo. That was the model before the Rialta. They looked a lot alike but different engines. I liked driving it a lot but didn't like the bathroom very much. The Le Sharo had a lot of problems so hope the Rialta is better.

Judy will help you learn a lot.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Welcome to the forum. Somethings you can learn from others. Other things you learn from just getting out there and experiencing the possibilities. There is no one way of traveling and or camping. There are many options and each one is useful for its own place and time. If you are out on the road long enough and cover enough ground you can try them all out from the Walmart parking lot, or the pull off along the Alaskan Highway to the upscale $$$ campgrounds or tiny, uneven sites of some older state parks that have not been upgraded. Whatever you find be sure to take pictures and share stories. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:05 pm

Yay, our northern California group is growing! I grew up in Tracy and have lived in Roseville near Sacramento for 30 years. We have just been talking about a get together next month though nothing finalized. Welcome. I drive a Sprinter Leisure Travel van.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby IrishIroamed » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:09 am

Welcome from Illinois. Sounds like you've got the best of both worlds. Have fun on your new adventure and keep us informed of your travels. You never know who you may get a chance to GTG with.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby mtngal » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:21 pm

Another welcome from northern Cali!
Diana
mtngal

Postby snowball » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:40 am

Welcome..right now I'm in Idaho for the summer normally head to AZ for the winter last year didn't make it
we will hope I do this winter...
enjoy your travels
sheila
snowball

Postby avalen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:09 am

Welcome :-)
Congrats on getting your little home on wheels, if you are 62 you
should make sure you pick up your senior pass for the national parks
and BLM and I think its good for coe campgrounds too, can't remember.
It will save you lots on the fees as you get 50% off. There are other passes
worth having as well, I'm sure the girls will chime in on that too.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby escapeartist » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:26 pm

Here's a stupid question: How do I respond to individual people? I tried to click on the headlines, the photos, the names..... Feel kind of inept here. Anyway, thank you so much for the warm welcomes! To answer a few questions: I have been in the Delta since late 2009; cannot believe it has been that long. Have three kayaks, two SUPs, one paddle boat, one canoe, a Walker Bay and an inflatable boat.....almost bought a big boat, but the RV took over. I saw one greeter was kayaking...looks like a blow up. Does anyone carry a full-sized kayak on the roof of her RV??? Cannot imagine how to get it up there. Also, I loved the Sprinter (to the Navion owner), but the prices were too much of a commitment for a newbie. If I were going to spend lots and lots of time in an RV it would need to be with more room and a sep shower...like a Navion.

I am not going to ask any more questions until I have closely read much of this site. I am sure there are lots of nuggets in here. I so enjoyed meeting Judy and seeing how she lives so well in her Class C.

Thanks for the greetings. Hope to meet more of you on the road.

Connie
escapeartist

Postby JudyJB » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:43 am

No, you aren't expected to respond to everyone who says Hi! And actually, we are a pretty forgiving group so there are no hard and fast rules.

Liz carries a small canoe, I know. It was made to fit her small size and I think it weighs only 16 pounds. Several others have inflatable kayaks, so hopefully they will respond. If not, post something in the General Area. That is more likely to get their attention.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:32 am

I tried carrying a hard shell kayak hanging on the ladder of my last rig but finally gave the kayak away because....First, I found my self not using it due to the weight of lifting it on and off the back of the rig. Second, I found myself just not coordinated and flexible enough to get into and out of it comfortably and safely. Third, there was no room for a Golden Retriever or English Cocker to ride. Fourth, I discovered Sea Eagle inflatables....and both dogs and I were happy. I now also have a Hornbeck similar to Liz's but went with a slightly different model. I have to lift 14 pounds (to Liz's only 12 pounds). They fit on top of our cars that we tow behind. Liz did have a gig made for hers when we traveled to Baja so that she could carry it on top of her RV.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Liz » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:56 am

http://hornbeckboats.com is the maker of our canoe/kayak hybrids. They are very light, made from carbon fiber or kevlar. They are pricey, but a good investment if you like to kayak. Mine is a 12' "New Trick" model in Blackjack (All carbon fiber, no maintenance)
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Return to Introduce Yourself