Single, Motivated to buy a Class B

Come on in and say hello.

Single, Motivated to buy a Class B

Postby alaimie » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:52 pm

Hello all!

I am happy to find a forum for women RVrs. I retired 16 months ago and I am looking to buy a used class B to RV in for weeks/months at a time. This will be my trial period to see if RVing full time is doable for me.

I am in San Francisco and have more or less settled on an older Pleasure-Way Plateau on a MB chassis. Is there anyone in the Bay Area with a PW Plateau? I am looking at a 2005 PW at a local dealer with 51K miles for $50K. It seems ok but I not liking what I see on a second review. Maybe I am too critical as it is a 10 year old car. I checked NADA for blue book value but don't see the MB listed under Pleasure-Way.

I currently camp on average 40-50 days a year on a roof top camper on my Honda Element in campgrounds. I am planning to do a combination of boondocking & using campgrounds so this next step to a class B will truly be a new experience.

Looking forward to being an active member of this group and possibly joining an event in the near future.

E
alaimie

Re: Single, Motivated to buy a Class B

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:51 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I like to compare prices on RVTrader.com. I did a search and there is a pleasure-way Facebook group. Maybe they can answer your questions.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Cudedog » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Welcome to the Forum.

I am also in Northern California, near Sacramento. A couple of years ago I converted a cargo van to a camper van (link to my blog about the conversion is below), but have been unable to do much camping since completing it because my 3 elderly dogs went rapidly downhill.

I looked at Class B's, but I wanted something new because of the reliability factor. A new, or even a new-ish, Class B was out out of my reach, hence the van conversion (which was a lot of fun, but took a really long time).

The last of the 3 is now in her last days (the other two have already passed). When she is no longer with me I plan to retire and hit the road.

If you come to the Sacramento area sometime, shoot me a message and maybe we can do a "meet and greet".

Anne :-)
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby snowball » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:10 pm

welcome to the forum...bet you will enjoy what ever you choose to travel in
sheila
snowball

Postby JudyJB » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:16 am

That does seem a lot of money for an 11 year old vehicle. Would you consider a small C, like maybe 22' long? Or maybe another brand of B? That might enable you to find more vehicles in your price range.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! We are a fun bunch and among us have a ton of experience and knowledge. I'll be in Napa in a few weeks visiting my son and his family, then headed north with them in their trailer to Oregon and Washington. Finally will head easy across the top of the country, headed to Michigan and Ohio and down to Florida for next winter. As you might suspect, I am a full-timer.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:41 am

I have a 2005 MB Leisure Travel and insurance won't insure for $50,000! I think I would check RV Trader and NADAGuides for the blue book price. Also consider checking out of the bay area for RV. la Mesa in Davis has some. I live in Roseville, so not that far. I do love my MBSprinter chassis. Get in touch if you come closer.I just NADA guide checked mine and high blue book is $44,000. Mine has solar and only 25,000 miles? I'm not selling mine, just giving an example. Really think you would do better price,out of Bay Area.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:02 am

Hello E ~ Sorry I can't be any help with your questions, but wanted to give you a Hi Ya! from Illinois.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:13 am

Welcome to the forum. If you are just starting out I would keep looking. As others have mentioned you might find more options outside your immediate area. Class B's and Sprinter based RV's generally are more costly than used class C's. It is money or money. You could get something used for less and see how you like this travel/life style and then be more confident in purchasing something more costly or newer in the future. If you are planning to boondock you may want to be sure that you have a generator. Solar is nice but can be pricy. I only added mine after RVing for a few years and knowing more about how I wanted to travel and camp.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:19 am

I bought a Roadtrek sight unseen oveer the internet from www.vantasticvans.com in Albuquerque, NM. It had 106,000 miles on it BUT it was a one owner and all the repair/maintenance records were with it. I paid $1000 to have it delivered to me in Texas but they also have a fly-in and drive home program. I was very happy with dealing with them and would do it again. Do negotiate if you deal with them. The price they were asking was $25,000, I told them all I had including the delivery was $18000 and the owner agreed. Good luck to you and welcome to the forum.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Rufflesgurl » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:12 am

Hi E - Welcome to the forum from N. Central CA. Like others have said, you might want to expand your search to other areas and for other RVs. You can always hire a mobile mechanic to check out a vehicle for you before you actually buy. Might cost you $200-$300 but it could be well worth it. Good luck on your search!!

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby avalen » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:58 am

Welcome :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby WickedLady » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:12 pm

Welcome to the forum.
WickedLady

Postby monik7 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:06 pm

Welcome. I live in the East Bay.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby cnq50b » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:22 pm

Welcome to the best group of Women RVers ever!!!

I bought a 2004 Airstream Interstate (on the sprinter chassis) almost 4 years ago. It was a one-owner with 48k miles & in excellent condition (although I did replace the tires right away). I bought it from a dealer in FL off eBay with the understanding if it didn't meet my expectations, I could cancel the deal. I paid less than what they are asking for the PW. Of course mine is a 2004 & has more miles but that was also 4 years ago. Currently the Nada value on mine is 35K. Granted I paid more for it than the Nada was at the time so you can't go on that completely. But I agree with the others in recommending that you research, as best you can, what a comparable PW is going for & then follow what your gut tells you.

I almost bought a 2005 PW a month before my Airstream - it was about the same price as mine but it was in WI from a second owner & from pictures I requested I could see signs of rust under the chassis & at the bottom of the back doors. It had not been as well-maintained as mine & was kept outside (mine had been covered when not in use). I backed out at the last minute & know I did the right thing.

The right one will come along & you'll know it when it does.

By the way, I love the PleasureWay - it was my first choice but the Airstream has suited me well thus far. And my brother (an import auto mechanic) defintiely wanted me in the sprinter - no matter what year it was. The MB mechanic that took care of it in KS told me he liked maintaining it because it was more basic than the newer ones so I don't think you need to worry about the year if it's been well maintained. These engines are meant to last.

I'm currently in the LA area so if you're down this way, maybe we could get together.
Keep us in the loop - we love the adventure or a new purchase. :)
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby Bethers » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:29 pm

No help on that rig, but hi, welcome, and good luck finding what will work for you.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself