Hello from Peggy in CT

Come on in and say hello.

Hello from Peggy in CT

Postby PeggyinCT » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:46 pm

Grettings to all you wonderful women and to Beth who is persistent. While I read your postings nearly everyday, I've been reluctant to write because I have very little to say. I have a 2000 Roadtrek 190 Versatile and love it, but am afraid of it at the same time. It seems that everytime I try to use the thing, its costs me big money.

I've made one trip down the Natchez Trace across MS, AL, GA and back to CT. Several friends joined me at various legs of the journey and we had a great time. Since then, I've only camped locally in New England.

I'm still working part time in human resource management and I teach a class to adult English as a Second Lanaguage learners.

I'm ready to give up work and travel/play full time, but am waiting for the courage and some pals to share the journey.

Peggy
PeggyinCT

Re: Hello from Peggy in CT

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:27 pm

Thanks for the info on you Peggy and welcome. We're all here to bounce ideas off of and are a very supportive bunch. If you need someone to visit, you've got a bunch of ladies all over the country - just pick an area and PM once of us. We're always up for a GTG no matter how small.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Liz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:50 pm

Welcome Peggy,

I too loved my Roadtrek, and understand why you love yours. Confidence comes with experience, so get out there and use it all you can. Things do wear out and need maintenance, but chances are once you have things up to speed, she'll give you years of pleasure. Leslie (legallady) from Boston has recently gotten a RT and is looking forward to spring so she can use it more. I travel to NH & MA every summer or fall, so maybe we can have a mini gtg this year.

Anyway, I'm glad you've posted, keep reading and jump in there anytime. I'd love to see pics of your RT. How long have you had it?
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby avalen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:45 pm

Welcome Peggy
This is a great bunch of ladies and I'm looking forward to stories and pictures. Don't worry about not
having much to say, there are some of us that say plenty enough for everybody :lol: I've been told
I was quite the chatterbox :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby mtngal » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi Peggy, welcome to the forum! You are right, it's the coolest thing to meet new "pals" from all over the country. Count me as from CA, spending lots of time in TX, and looking forward to visiting my forum friends in the North East!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi, Peggy, and WELCOME to this fantastic bunch of ladies who love to camp, in one form, or another!

I just got a new 19 foot travel trailer last year, after trading a bigger one that I bought and discovered was way too big for me, and will be learning how to haul it more places this year, if the gas prices stay low enough! Last summer, I took it only about 50 miles from me, for the longest haul, and made several shorter hauls to local campgrounds. If I can handle my rig, you can certainly handle yours, and you can hook up with some of us, perhaps, to keep company on the roads and in the campgrounds. I feel your fear, as I, too, always have it as I set out alone! BUT....it's well worth getting used to!

Hope to meet you this summer, perhaps.....can't wait to see some pics of you and your rig as soon as you learn your way around here. Don't be afraid to post stuff.....we LOVE company!!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Bethers » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:44 pm

Yea! Peggy posted! So glad I was persistent.

You'll find that there are many of us that will meet you on the road once you get out here. I can't believe how many women I've met from this forum, and the list keeps growing. It's great to have the comaraderie on the forum, and even better that we share it in person when possible.

I wasn't sure how I'd like traveling alone - but alone I was, so that's how it was going to be. I've found that I can travel just fine this way, but sometimes I like to join with others for part of the journeys. Sparkle, from this forum, and I will travel together for the month of April in New Mexico. Then Liz and Carolinagal and I will meet up the end of May (and a couple people from my singles forum, also) and head north to Alaska. Without these two forums I don't know if I would have been willing to do that long trek completely alone. Well, yes, I would have, but boy, I'm so glad to have others along for parts of those lonely roads :)

OK, here I am proving how easy it is to just chat away LOL - Glad you have given an intro and I hope that you join in now and then. And I believe Soos will have a gtg this summer in the Adirondacks - maybe you could get the RT up there for one of your summer trips :) Along with possibly meeting Liz and Legal Lady and others from up north.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Paulette » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:59 pm

Welcome Peggy. I'm in MD and if you perchance get down this way we can try to hook up. I also know that we have a gtg planned for around gettysburg this summer some time. I know what you mean about being afraid. We've probably all had our share of "oops" moments...some of them cost big bucks! Don't ask me how I know this! LOL :lol:

Anyway, welcome.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby Carolinagal » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:58 pm

Hello Peggy, so glad you have joined us. No one was more scared then I to travel totally alone. But my husband passed away and left me with a 21 ft Jayco MH. I'm one of these very stubburn people and was in no way wiiling to let it go to someone who would get a good deal off a poor widow. I had never really driven it more then an hr. at a time occasionally but all of our children said "you can do it Mom". So my first summer, I headed west where 3 of our children lived, MO.Co. AZ. I got about 5 miles from home and this feeling of great fear came over me and I said outloud " Lord, should I be doing this?" I was totally out of my comfort zone. But you know that MH kept going, and this peace came over me and I hit Chattanooga traffic and when i got through there, I told myself, Hey I got it made :lol: I put 8800 miles on my MH that summer and when I got home, I knew I could drive it :D I still have a problem backing it. But have done that too, and people watching now, don't bother me as bad as it used to :roll: I've been on a lot of trips totally alone and had a great time, Oh Maggie(my little buddy ) would be upset my saying all alone. ;)

I've had an alternator go out in Co on 70 in Gods country ,cause there sure wasn't anyone out there. A couple in an r.v. stopped (other r.v people are usually very helpful) he had a cell phone and I found out how good my road service is.( that you really need) After that trip I have always had a cellphone. I've had flat tires, last summer had one blow just as I topped the mt.on I-24, I thanked the good Lord then that it waited until the top, as its steep in places, its a 4 mile incline. Things can be scary but you can do it, what ever we set our minds to, we can do. I have found that out in the past 8 years. I love traveling, I will go until I can't anymore. I travel to visit my children a lone, try to do different routes to see all I can. Scared, I still get the feeling from time to time. If you have a laptop with you, you can get in touch with anyone on this forum at any time, so you will never be alone. (I don't have one yet)

So glad you are here, you've probably guessed, as Ava said there are some who chat more then others :lol: :lol: I hope this will encourage you though, we all have had our times of scary feelings, and probably at times we still have some, but you want to go somewhere and you just do it. It's great seeing all of this country. I do travel at times with my SIL Liz, we're heading to Alaska this summer, in her rig.

You're never alone, now that you have joined this forum, someone here can help you with what ever question or problem you might have. First chance you have go to a GTG, and you will meet just a small sampling of the great women that are your Sistahs now, if you choose.

The first thing I did was read all the literature on my MH and learned to work all before leaving home. If you haven't done that , that might help your confidence, also I have it checked over and made sure its always road worthy.

Safe travels and May you have many of them

Carol
Carolinagal

Postby Orchid » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:51 am

Welcome, Peggy. I can certainly understand your eagerness to quit work and start really enjoying your Roadtrek. I'm sure like everyone says you'll feel more comfortable traveling once you get used to it. Cheryl
Orchid

Postby Sparkle » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:42 am

Welcome Peggy, don't worry about not having much to say, once you read some of these crazy posts you will realise there is something you want to add. When I got my first rig I was terrified, bone dry mouth and shaking knees, but I made myself take a trip once a month, no matter how cold or wet it got. Then one day, at a beach in Florida I realised I didn't want to go home. I was ready for fulltiming. You also don't need to travel hundreds of miles. Check out the State Parks near you. When I had a house the nearest park was just 7 miles away, but a different world.
I taught English to foreign ladies in Huntsville, AL. We had a lot of laughs. Especially since I have a Scottish accent. One of my best classes was using the newspaper ads. SWF, and OOO got them giggling.
Sparkle

Postby asirimarco » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:46 am

Welcome Peggy - so glad you are posting. We are more apt to hug then to bite. Lots of useful information to be had here, also lots of laughs. If you have questins just ask, if you have answers just share. You'll find out about a lot of places to visit or avoid - and if you travel next summer and end up in south central Indiana, just give us a shout - we have space to park up in the hills of Brown County.
asirimarco

Postby LegalLady » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:04 am

Hello Peggy in CT from Leslie in MA!!!! I too have a B! I bought it last summer - I was looking, but did not expect to find exactly what I wanted, when lo and behold, there it was! So I bought it, but couldn't use it too much last summer because of other plans I had made. But this summer, watch out!!!

I totally get the intimidated thing - I too was, and frankly still am but to a lesser extent - scared about everything on my "Escape Pod". I felt so vulnerable because I didn't know how to do anything and I do mean ANYTHING!! Figuring out how to turn off the smoke detector's beeping was a big deal for me, so you can see how absolutely little I knew!!!

Last summer, I went to Charleston, SC for a week-long ladies-only camping event. I went completely alone knowing no one. I came home having lots of new friends, and knowing lots more about my rig. Everyone was so willing to help me learn things. As I learned how to do each new thing, I relaxed more. Now I just know I'm going to love jetting around in my "Pod" and learning how to do every last thing it needs! I just know you will too.

there are several of us northeasters here, Soos, Cedar, judyo, me, you, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Judyo is nearer you on the upper cape, and I'm northwest of Boston in Littleton. Let's plan a GTG as soon as we get rid of this darn snow. We can all learn from each other, okay.

Anyway, welcome, and I'm so excited to meet another New Englander. Us Yankees got to stick together!
Leslie
Boston, MA
2007 Roadtrek 210P
LegalLady

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:40 am

Welcome, Peggy!!! So glad you decided to join us here.....lots of gals located on the east coast to visit here.....in fact, you could spend a month each all the way to Florida and never run out of sistas' to visit :lol: We summer near Gettysburg PA in our seasonal campground, then head out in Sept. to place unknown... ;)

Hope to meet you real soon!!
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Return to Introduce Yourself