Canadian RV'er

Come on in and say hello.

Canadian RV'er

Postby lostintime » Sun May 29, 2016 9:16 am

Hi....I am a somewhat newbie Canadian and have just been making short trips in my Class C Travelaire to get used to the driving (pretty easy) and all the set up and maintenance involved with Rv life. I love going out in my rig with my two dogs and am looking forward to hopefully many years of enjoying the peace and quiet of getting away whenever I can. I plan to go further and further as my confidence improves and see everything I want to see. I am not a traveller by nature as it tends to stress me out because I am not comfortable staying in hotels or other peoples homes so I bought the motorhome thinking that it solves the problem of bringing my own space with me where ever I go and allows me to bring my dogs as well. I have been out twice fairly close to home and I am enjoying it very much and hope to travel further soon. In my part of the country the winters are very harsh so the RV season is quite short and since I have about 8 years still to work, I am limited to about 5 months a year of RV travel and I plan to take full advantage.
I love that older (I am 56) women are travelling alone instead of staying home because they are not comfortable going anywhere solo and many women have asked me if I'm nervous or scared of going out alone which seems a bit silly to me. I recommend getting a good roadside assistance plan, make sure your rig is in great shape and then off you go! Enjoy!
Run fast.....Bark loud!
lostintime

Re: Canadian RV'er

Postby MelissaD » Sun May 29, 2016 10:22 am

Hoosier Welcome :D

We normally camp in Ohio and try to start around Easter each year and will camp until Halloween or so. I've have to drain water lines between weekends or leave the heat on to keep things from freezing. Snowed on us once this spring. We set ours up as a 2nd home just add some food and clean laundry. Find the time in the camper to be a major stress release.

Best of luck and maybe we'll see you down the road.
MelissaD

Postby ypsi56 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:24 am

Welcome to the forum !!

Betty
ypsi56

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun May 29, 2016 11:31 am

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the time left till retirement. :) Retirement is pretty sweet, especially if you can make it with your health intact. You are right in thinking that unpleasant things can happen most anywhere at any thing. But with common sense not nearly as folks want to us to believe. Have fun and good adventures.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Acadianmom » Sun May 29, 2016 11:38 am

Welcome to the forum. I have a brother in Thunder Bay but I have only make it up to see him once. It is beautiful up there but I have trouble getting that far from home. My husband won't travel at all. I like having my own space when I travel too and I feel safer in a campground that in a motel. Have a good camping season.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Liz » Sun May 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Welcome to the forum. I love having my own space and all my needs with me as I travel.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby MandysMom » Sun May 29, 2016 2:53 pm

Welcome to the forum. Perhaps there will be a Canada get together one day. Glad you joined us.
Velda in northern Calofornia
MandysMom

Postby JudyJB » Sun May 29, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi! What part of Canada are you from? All of my grandparents were born in Ontario, Canada, and I grew up in the Detroit area, just across the river from Windsor. Last summer, I drove up to Owen's Sound and Burk's Falls near Huntsville to look for family places. Then in the fall I went up to New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia.

I think the best thing about this kind of travel is being able to go back to your own bed and bathroom at the end of a day. It's also really nice to take your bathroom and kitchen around with you all day when you are sightseeing--a snack is really handy. No searching and waiting for food in restaurants and worrying about the cleanliness of hotel rooms!! :)
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Solowalkin » Sun May 29, 2016 6:25 pm

Welcome!!
Solowalkin

Postby Bethers » Sun May 29, 2016 9:54 pm

Welcome. Glad to have you with us. About only so many years to retirement: That's what I thought when I purchased my first rig in 2005. I first took a leave of absence to make a longer trip, and here I am all these years later never returning. I did discover workamping so still do some work, but lots of traveling and exploring, too.

Enjoy the times you get out.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Mon May 30, 2016 12:28 am

Welcome I'm sure that you will enjoy what time you can in your travels
we have lots and lots of Canadians that travel down to Quartzsite AZ for the winter
sheila
snowball

Postby mitch5252 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:22 am

Welcome, Lost! (unless there is another name for you? :D )

You've found a great Forum with lots of positive-minded, can-do women.
And bunches of knowledge, too!

mitch5252

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon May 30, 2016 10:15 am

Hello Canada! Welcome from Illinois. Ladies here are very helpful (I know from experience), so ask any questions for different opinions. Glad you joined us.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby lostintime » Mon May 30, 2016 10:42 am

I am a born and bred prairie girl. I grew up in Manitoba and spent many summers camping on the Canadian Shield which is very rocky and beautiful. I have lived in Alberta for a long time now and I love the variety of prairie, foothills and mountain lakes. I have lived in Ontario for a short time many years ago and I really enjoyed the lakes and the northern Ontario wilderness. I have a brother in Canmore Alberta which is very beautiful and I would love to live there but it's VERY expensive. For now, I just want to get out with my dogs and enjoy the summer, and I am very happy so far with the motorhome and having a familiar space to sleep in and a convenient place to stay where ever I want to stop. Maybe I will head down to the US someday, but while I'm working I will be just going on short trips and planning.........
Run fast.....Bark loud!
lostintime

Return to Introduce Yourself