Single woman beginning Rving with 2 dogs

Come on in and say hello.

Single woman beginning Rving with 2 dogs

Postby yellowroses » Thu May 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi, I am new to RVing. I bought a class A 25 ft. Winnebago a few years ago and only took it on short jogs. It was enough to realize I had no idea what I was doing and could only depend on electricity and water using shore power. I kept trying to use the functions, but they didn't seem to work. They worked, but I didn't know how to make them work. When gas shot up well over $4 a gallon I parked it and you know what sad things happen to a parked RV. Now it runs- new battery and fuel pump, 6 new tires and I am ready to take it to an RV service center to have it checked out.

The house is on the market and as soon as it is sold "my stuff" goes to an estate sale. I have local rv parks checked out and one is chosen. We move in for the summer while I learn to use this big lady properly. After a cleaning, the inside is ready for move-in.

It's a little scary becoming a full-timer at the age of 70, but I am strong and in good health. It's bound to be easier than keeping up a large house with all the repairs and cleaning and pruning, mowing, and weeding a large suburban place. I looked for a smaller home, but realized no place was exactly where or what I wanted. If I want more beach I can try them all along the Florida coast, when it gets unbearably hot and humid on the Gulf coast, I can plan a trip north and enjoy mountains and woods for a few months.
T.A.N.S.T.A.AF.L
yellowroses

Re: Single woman beginning Rving with 2 dogs

Postby ypsi56 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:48 pm

Welcome from Arizona !!

Betty
ypsi56

Postby MandysMom » Thu May 26, 2016 4:14 pm

Welcome! You are going to have a great adventure!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Rufflesgurl » Thu May 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi Yellowroses - welcome to the forum from N .Central CA. You've got some great ideas of what you want to do. Let us know if you find it easier to handle a MH and traveling or a sticks and brick w/yard, etc. What Class A did you get - not to many As at 25'. What kind of pups do you have? Enjoy yourself!!

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby WickedLady » Thu May 26, 2016 8:02 pm

I just moved into my travel trailer with my cat and dog. I am 75. You can do this.
WickedLady

Postby yellowroses » Thu May 26, 2016 8:06 pm

I have a 20 year old class A Winnebago Brave. I thought it was a 27 foot, but I just found a paper in the big stack of rv papers that came with the rig and it says 25 feet from end to end. My pups are standard poodles- Alicia (black and 9 yrs old) sweet, obstinate and painfully shy and Beauregard who is still officially a puppy (cream and 1 1/2 years old) happy, outgoing, loves the world and can't wait for the day to get started.

The rv is small and the ones I looked at for a possible trade-up were truly grand with 30 feet and a long slide out for the main cabin area. But when I think of the expense, my small PAID FOR rig seems a better way to go. Most of my needs for storage involve my art materials and metal working equipment. :) Maybe I can pile it all on the double bed and sleep on the couch.
T.A.N.S.T.A.AF.L
yellowroses

Postby JudyJB » Thu May 26, 2016 10:17 pm

Welcome! I am going to be 73 next month, so 70 is not too old at all. I've been full-timing for four years and have drive 80,000 miles. And I met a lady a couple of weeks ago who was traveling 6 months at a time and driving a 30' motorhome, and she was 82.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby snowball » Thu May 26, 2016 11:20 pm

welcome and have a feeling that you will enjoy your new life
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Fri May 27, 2016 12:22 am

Welcome! Glad to have you with us. There are advantages and disadvantages to every size rig. I find your size right for me, although mine is a class c. That said, I totally agree, the paid for size wins!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Solowalkin » Fri May 27, 2016 1:31 am

Welcome from St Cloud, I'm not actually on the road yet and won't be full time, I am hopefully closing the deal on a "new to me" TT on Monday.
Solowalkin

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri May 27, 2016 5:51 am

Welcome from SW Ohio or from where ever I might be traveling. Have some adventures..... :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby yellowroses » Fri May 27, 2016 8:59 am

Thanks for the encouragement, Judy JB and WickedLady.

It is empowering to know other older single women are full-timing it as well. Mostly, I see men driving the many rigs going through my beachy area. The women are reading the maps. In campgrounds, it seems the men set up and the women fix dinner. I know two women who vacation in a big class A, but they travel as a pair and only do it part time for vacations.

That is why I joined this forum- to read about all those other women who can full time on their own successfully and happily.
Kate
T.A.N.S.T.A.AF.L
yellowroses

Postby retiredhappy » Fri May 27, 2016 9:25 am

welcome from East Texas. I am no longer RVing but fulltimed for three years with three dogs; two Labs and one rescue. Do you tow a car? I didn't my first couple of trips but found I needed one for grocery shopping, sightseeing, etc. Glad you found this forum. All these ladies handle everything about RVing by themselves, well maybe except for the few married ones. Where in the country are you located?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Othersharon » Fri May 27, 2016 9:51 am

Welcome from PA. Lots of good info to be had here. I was one of the campers that read the maps and took care of the inside stuff while DH took care of the hook ups. But now going it alone and doing it! Any questions, these gals are always here to help! Have fun!
Othersharon

Postby avalen » Fri May 27, 2016 10:30 am

Welcome, you didn't mention your current location but check out the get together thread and see if there us one close where you could come to. These girls are great
to learn the ropes and give you the confidence your looking for. 8-)
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself