Hello, from St Cloud Fl....

Come on in and say hello.

Re: Hello, from St Cloud Fl....

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:07 pm

The Senior National Access pass that most of us cherish is available when you turn 65.

As far as comparing cost....I know that others will throw in their two cents worth, too. I am not sure there are ways or sites to compare? So much depends upon so many different personal choices and variables, many of which you may or may not even know how to identify yet, without more experience on the road. Just a few variables to consider:
How much of the time you will be moving down the road and consuming gas/mile vs how many days you will be sitting still.
What sort of camping experience do you need? Full hook ups with a pool and hot tub available to boondocking out west on BLM lands.
Rigs come in all sorts of sizes and ages and conditions.
How much maintenance and repairs can you do yourself? Some of these women are very talented at completing their own refurbishing and repairs. Many of us pay for the repair talents of others. :?
Food expense is food expense on the road or off unless it involves eating out more often....
Visiting historical sites, museums and other activities can add expenses quickly.
Do you plan to work to earn money or RV sites? (Work Camping)

Be sure to think of the expenses that remain similar whether or not you live in a S&B house or one on wheels....like medical and insurance, vet bills, etc.
Think of what you want or need in the way of an "emergency" fund for repairs and unforeseen happenings. Again that safety net is no different no matter where we live and depends upon an individual's tolerance for "risk" taking.

And then there is that great unknown of how you might adapt to the life style. Often many of us have found our needs and wants change with our experience and changing priorities that only happen after we have been out traveling awhile....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Solowalkin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:52 pm

Good things to think about. For me to be able to spend several weeks/months with my BFF/west coast family will necessitate several thousand mi driving ea way, they live from central Or coast to the Long beach peninsula across from Astoria. I will want to spend approx Nov-Mar in Fl with my kids and grands. With that in mind I wonder if the most economical, at least as far as fuel costs, would be the van/TT or Van class B. I will just have to find a way to figure MPG comparisons. With this kind of travel I will probably have to carefully plan the beginning and ending legs so I don't have to travel in snow/ice. It may end up that I don't go the full distance every year, I will of course have to see how I handle that huge distance, I certainly don't want to spend my entire time driving. So much to think about....
Solowalkin

Postby Azusateach » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:06 pm

Greetings!

It sounds like you like to research things thoroughly before biting the bullet. ;)

I have a friend who put together a spreadsheet with her requirements -- everything she could think of. And then she went shopping with that spreadsheet. She'd go into a rig, and then check off items that were on her list. It made it easier for her to make a decision.

If all you're wanting a motorhome for is to get across country, I'd think that the smaller, more fuel-efficient rigs would do the job. But smaller is not necessarily less expensive. Some of the Class B vans are easily over $100K, largely due to them being built with a Mercedes diesel engine.

But looking is part of the fun! Take yourself to every dealer and RV show you can find. When you walk into your rig, you'll know it.

Thanks for joining us & including us in your journey!
Azusateach

Postby Solowalkin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:39 pm

If I didn't suck at excel I would certainly try the spreadsheet LOL. I don't just want to get across the country, the major reason is that I want to see and visit/explore the country on my way to and from. If I just wanted to go to and from I would be better off with a mini van and dog friendly hotels there and back, :? Where's the fun in that? :x :lol:
Solowalkin

Postby Liz » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:35 am

Welcome from the Ocala area, although I am full-time and won't be back that way until December. Good luck with all your research.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby JudyJB » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:45 pm

Welcome from an ex-Michigander who has been full-timing for four years!!

You can only get a discount for your particular dtate for state parks but you cal an get a America the Beautiful federal pass at age 62.

Cost depends a lot on where you stay a show much you drive. I do a lot of traveling and tend to stay in state and federal campgrounds with electric so I spend a lot more than people who boondock or stay on federal land without hookups. Another option is to stay a month or more in a commercial campground and get lower rates. And if you choose, you can workcamp or volunteer at a campground in exchage fir a free campsite.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Solowalkin » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:40 pm

LOL I am so enjoying all the blogs and forums, it's a bit overwhelming but I will wade through. :)
Solowalkin

Postby Birdie » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:18 am

Don't let mpg be your "big factor" based on fuel cost because it can vary from state to state and areas. I found OR with some of the highest fuel cost neck and neck with Alaska. It needs to be considered but being comfortable and having mod cons get to be important too. Do you want a usable shower? Do you want to drop the sofa down and make your bed every night and then reverse the procedure every morning? Want a referigerator and microwave? Just make a list of what you think you want. It changes all the time. I am in my third rig! I love looking at rigs! Good luck and look a lot.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Welcome from AL. I was in St Cloud area last month and expect to be next year as well so might get to meet at a gtg there.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Solowalkin » Wed May 11, 2016 4:10 am

That would be great, would love to attend some gtg
Solowalkin

Postby yellowroses » Thu May 26, 2016 8:18 pm

Welcome from Pensacola, FL. I am new to rv living also.
T.A.N.S.T.A.AF.L
yellowroses

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:43 pm

Dang----you are in St. Cloud?? That's where I park my trailer at my son's house. I wish I had read this earlier. Maybe, if you are still there in the fall, we can get together?? I will try to read this forum more often. I would love to get together with you, but I am now packing to head back north for the rest of the summer. Hopefully I will meet you in November, or thereabouts!

Welcome to a great group! :)
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself