hello from SE Louisiana

Come on in and say hello.

hello from SE Louisiana

Postby Retiredcajunlady » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Hello All. I have been a lurker here online and love this site and your posts. I am very much interested in becoming an RV owner and going out and seeing America. I am a retired teacher, so my income isn't the highest. I have so much to think about and so many options to weigh. Safety, of course, is a major issue for me. Do groups travel together for social and safety reasons? Do most travel alone? Right now, it is simply a dream I have, but I want very much for it to become a reality. Thank you all for allowing me to read and learn on your site. Hope
Retiredcajunlady

Re: hello from SE Louisiana

Postby Bethers » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:27 am

Welcome! You'll find those of us who generally travel alone to others that might travel alone, but usually to some type of gtg, to others that like to travel with another or even more. I've never felt unsafe rving, so traveling alone is usually my choice. But you need to find what works best for you.

There are members in your area. I'm sure they'll be happy to have you join them even if you don't yet have a rig.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:18 am

Welcome! Like Beth, I also am a fulltimer. I have lived in my RV four years and feel very safe. I did skip a second day in a campground once, but it was just a feeling. No one has actually ever bothered me. You might want to meet up with some of the ladies in your area however and talk about their experiences or attend a get together at first.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby IrishIroamed » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:10 am

Welcome to the forum from IL. I'm still working, and only have my TT for a year. I've done the alone thing a couple of times and small GTGs a couple of times. It will all come down to what you feel safe doing I think. The ladies here are great, and so far other campers I've met have been friendly and very helpful. The ladies on the forum are awesome for answering questions too.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby MelissaD » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:58 am

Hoosier Welcome :D

I don't full time but lived for several years in the cab of a semi and never really had an issue and you know, us truckers get to see only the best side of town :? :lol:

How you want to do it is up to you. There are RV woman groups that you can join but most just seem to wonder or join up with friends for a time.
MelissaD

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Welcome to the forum. I live South of Abbeville. I was nervous when I first started camping but now I'm more afraid of staying in a motel than a campground. My husband doesn't camp so I camp with several women only groups and sometimes my sister. You would be welcome to join the get togethers and stay in a cabin if the campground has cabins. I'll let you know the next time something is planned in Louisiana.

Some of the ladies from this forum are members of a Facebook Group called Women Who RV. Just keep reading and asking questions.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby bluepinecones » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:46 pm

Welcome from AL.
I do not full time. However I frequently travel alone and meet up with some of the ladies from this forum. In fact I attended some of the gtgs, staying in cabin or hotel, for 3 years before getting my little Class C. Without the help and encouragement of the awesome ladies I've met here I wouldn't be doing this.
I'm on my way home now from almost two months in FL where I just moved around every week or two to be able to see many of the ladies who winter in FL.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby monik7 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:21 pm

Welcome from the San Francisco Bay Area. I usually travel alone and try to meet up with any of the forum members who are in whatever area I'm going to. My current trip has taken me to Death Valley and then on to Pahrump, NV where I spent time with forum member Patty (pattyk). Now I'm in Salome, AZ visiting Anita (chalet05). That's what I love about the forum - being able to get together with others who are enjoying the RV lifestyle - either full time or like I do part time.

Feel free to ask questions. There are no dumb questions and the ladies here are always very helpful.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby avalen » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:31 pm

Welcome
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Retiredcajunlady » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:49 pm

Thank you all so much for the warm welcomes! I do like the idea of perhaps renting a cabin in the campground where others have their RVs. One of the amazing things I learned from reading on this site is the number of people who live in their RV full time. It seems like such an exciting way to live and see the country! Again, thank you all so much for the welcomes. And thank you for allowing me to allowing me to lurk and learn for the members! Take care. H.
Retiredcajunlady

Postby WickedLady » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:04 pm

Welcome. I don't fulltime yet but travel alone. Of course, there is Boomer with me ;)
WickedLady

Postby snowball » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:44 pm

welcome I full time however had a set back this year so spent the winter in Utah at my daughters house
in a typical year I take my 5th wheel down to Arizona and boondock...because of my finances and habit i spend my time either
in Arizona or Idaho depending upon the weather...this year was not typical... :roll:
I would like to see more meet more but we do develop our comfort zone and if I can make it to those some part of the year
I'd be ok...
you will find what feels good to you
sheila
snowball

Postby Colliemom » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:39 am

Welcome from northern MI. It took me awhile to get up the nerve to buy a travel trailer, but it's been one of the best investments I made. Not only have I met a great group of ladies on this forum, both online and at GTG's, but I have also traveled around some of the U.S. alone, last summer to Yellowstone and points in between. I feel very safe out there. Always stay in public or private campground, have met some really nice people and never have felt threatened. So jump in and get your feet wet. If you don't try it, you will always wonder if you could have done it.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Return to Introduce Yourself