Hello from Texas and Moving to Portland, OR

Come on in and say hello.

Hello from Texas and Moving to Portland, OR

Postby RVLady » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie trying to learn as much as I can. I'm disabled and as much as I love Texas, the heat is too much for me anymore. My intention is to buy an RV and use it as my residence, most likely in the Portland OR area.

I would love to meetup with anyone in the South Texas area to pick your brain and learn about RVing. I'd also like to meet people from the Portland area and find out about the city and the people since I'll be moving there sight unseen.

Thanks!
RVLady

Re: Hello from Texas and Moving to Portland, OR

Postby Bethers » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:19 am

Welcome. There are lots of members in Texas and others in the PNW, and some of us that hit both places sometimes. You'll be able pick brains here or in person.

If you don't mind sharing a name ... and anything else you feel comfortable with... We are a friendly and nosy bunch.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MandysMom » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:47 am

Welcome RV Lady!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:51 am

Welcome to the Forum from SW Ohio when I am not out driving around the other states... :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby IrishIroamed » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:28 am

Welcome from Illinois RVLady. Good luck on your search for an RV and the move up & over yonder.

Yes, ask questions here. The ladies are very helpful and can give you different perspectives on things. Trust me ~ I've asked a lot of newbie questions. :?
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:55 am

Welcome from Leesburg, TX (East Tx). I understand completely about the heat here, I'm originally from Seattle. Have you spent much time in Oregon? As much as I HATE the TX heat I'm not sure I could take the gloomy weather of the Northwest anymore. It wasn't the rain in Washington that was depressing, it was the day after day after day of grey days where you didn't see any sun at all. Where abouts in Texas are you located?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Rufflesgurl » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:34 am

Welcome to the forum RVLady from N. Central CA. Thankfully we have been having lots of rain here lately but I love when we see sunshine! Good luck on your future move.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby monik7 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:23 pm

Welcome from the San Francisco Bay Area.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby WickedLady » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:24 pm

Welcome to our forum. The winters in the PNW can be gloomy (then head south for a while) but our summers are sunny.
WickedLady

Postby RVLady » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:16 pm

I live in south Texas, between Houston and Corpus Christi. 110 degree heat is overwhelming for the normal person, much less someone with a heart condition. I love winter weather and I don't mind the rain. Besides, the point of getting the RV is so that a) I don't have to deal with their crazy high real estate prices and b) so if I don't like it I can just pack up and move!

Btw, My name is Mari and I'll be with my Terri Doodle, Watson. :D
RVLady

Postby JudyJB » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:27 pm

Welcome to this great group of ladies. There is a lot of experience on this forum, and in a couple of years you will be answering instead of asking questions!

I am from Michigan and also do not like the heat. The nice thing about RVing is certainly being able to pick up and go when you want to. I am a full-timer in travel mode, meaning I keep moving.

So, how soon do you plan this move? Do you have a house and a ton of belongings to get rid of? Summer and heat is coming up soon. Also, do you have to be right in Portland or is nearby OK? I don't know a lot about the area, but I did drive through once and am headed that way with my kids in July.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby RVLady » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:25 pm

I've found several campgrounds in and around the area, including Vancouver, WA just across the river. Right now I'm leaning towards one called Jantzen Beach, right on the river.

My hope is that I can move within the next 2-3 months. Definitely before June. Preferably by the beginning of May. I don't have a ton of belongings, thank goodness although I'll still probably have to get rid of some stuff.
RVLady

Postby Colliemom » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:46 am

Welcome to the forum. I"m in norther MI so can't tell you much about the PNW. But there are a number of forum sisters who can. Good luck with you plans.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Return to Introduce Yourself