Hi!! Hitting the road soon...

Come on in and say hello.

Hi!! Hitting the road soon...

Postby WiredToLive » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi, my name is Vicky and I'll be hitting the road soon. I was just wondering how many of you RV full time year round? And how many RV part time from a base setup? Me, I will be RVing from a base set up in Florida. A tiny house that's movable. Which is perfect for me these days especially since I plan on traveling a lot. I even plan on doing some traveling overseas. I have lots of family in France. I'm going to rent an RV and travel around France, Spain, Italy, etc. I am also wondering how many of you may work from the road? If any of you have any tips, advice, thoughts, questions or otherwise. I am happy to read and answer all. I am excited about this new journey in my life and looking forward to making lots of new friends and travel buddies. ;)
WiredToLive

Re: Hi!! Hitting the road soon...

Postby Bethers » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi and Welcome, Vicky!

I'm full-time - have been since summer 2005. I do some webwork, design and building, but cut back on it because I don't want to be tied to it when in travel mode. That said, I still have a few accounts and occasionally take on others. I also do what is called "workamping" where I take jobs for a season or so - right now I'm managing a store in Keystone, SD - about 5 more weeks, and I'll be heading south. Not sure if I'll workamp at all this fall/winter yet, or just play or do a combination.

I'd love to hear more (see pics) of your tiny house. I have seen a couple that say they are movable, but the ones I saw I wouldn't feel safe traveling much in - more I consider them movable to a destination. However, I do know some are supposed to be more movable. Tell us all about it! You might have to research a bit when you travel, as some rv parks are not accepting tiny houses - they don't fit their "criteria" of an rv, I guess.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby WiredToLive » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi Beth, thank you for your response. I'm not actually going to be traveling in the tiny home, that's gonna stay put as my base set up in FL. I will be traveling in a Class C RV a 25 ft or smaller. I have not purchased the RV just yet, but I am very close. Had to square everything else away first like the sale of my home, the base set up. Figured I'd save the RV purchase for last. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone. ;)

It's great to get a response right off the bat from another web developer/designer. I will probably be doing more writing than anything else from the road. My web business clientele is very well established and currently it runs pretty much on auto pilot. I may do some freelance contract work though. Need to keep my skills at their peak. Thank you Beth and I will add photos soon.
Last edited by WiredToLive on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WiredToLive

Postby IrishIroamed » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:12 pm

Hi Vicky ~ welcome from Illinois. I'm still working but hope to fulltime at retirement. Have fun, yes show pics, we love them.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Bethers » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I love tiny homes, and if I ever have a base somewhere, some type of tiny home/casita could be in my future.

I always said I'd never have bigger than 25 feet (I'm a Class C person also). My first RV that took me 9 years was 22 feet. When I purchased my current, I went a tad over. This one is 26.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi, Vicky. I can hardly believe it, but I have been full-timing for over three years now. Time has flown by, and I still love this lifestyle. My motorhome is a bit bigger than many, but I wanted to be able to take my sons and their families camping. I have three grandkids in one family and two in another, and they are still mostly little, ages 6-10, and they ALL love to go camping with Grandma! My motorhome is a 32' Class C that I bought new because of allergies. It's funny, but I started looking at 22 footers, and then just kept going up in two foot increments until I said, "What the heck!" I am very happy with the choices I made in terms of my RV because it fits me very well.

I teach two online college classes for each of four condensed semesters per year, so am kept pretty busy. I've taught at the same small Michigan college for 26 years, and really enjoy it, especially being able to travel and teach. Working as I travel gives me an income to supplement SS and means I don't have to dig into my 401K yet. I am hoping it will also keep my brain alive longer and keep me feeling younger.

For my regular job, I was an instructional designer of web-based training before I retired, and I also keep a couple of semi-dressy outfits tucked away in case I get any chances to do some consulting. I doubt it will happen, however. It is hard and takes a lot of time to market yourself. The teaching on the road came easy because I was already working part-time for this college, and just changed my location! I do know from my days working for a consulting company that you really do need to work to build up a clientele, and this can best be done before you start traveling.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby avalen » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:22 pm

welcome from Arizona
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby WiredToLive » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:49 pm

IrishIroamed wrote:Hi Vicky ~ welcome from Illinois. I'm still working but hope to fulltime at retirement. Have fun, yes show pics, we love them.

Hi Cheryl, thank you!! I will... ;)
WiredToLive

Postby WiredToLive » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:52 pm

Bethers wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I love tiny homes, and if I ever have a base somewhere, some type of tiny home/casita could be in my future.

I always said I'd never have bigger than 25 feet (I'm a Class C person also). My first RV that took me 9 years was 22 feet. When I purchased my current, I went a tad over. This one is 26.

Hi Beth. I've seen some pretty impressive small class c's as small as 19 ft. All depends on the floor plan and how well they were thought out during the design phase. 26 is not so bad. ;)
WiredToLive

Postby WiredToLive » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:53 pm

avalen wrote:welcome from Arizona

Hi Ava and Miss Maggie!! Thank you. :D
WiredToLive

Postby WiredToLive » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:07 pm

JudyJB wrote:Hi, Vicky. I can hardly believe it, but I have been full-timing for over three years now. Time has flown by, and I still love this lifestyle. My motorhome is a bit bigger than many, but I wanted to be able to take my sons and their families camping. I have three grandkids in one family and two in another, and they are still mostly little, ages 6-10, and they ALL love to go camping with Grandma! My motorhome is a 32' Class C that I bought new because of allergies. It's funny, but I started looking at 22 footers, and then just kept going up in two foot increments until I said, "What the heck!" I am very happy with the choices I made in terms of my RV because it fits me very well.

I teach two online college classes for each of four condensed semesters per year, so am kept pretty busy. I've taught at the same small Michigan college for 26 years, and really enjoy it, especially being able to travel and teach. Working as I travel gives me an income to supplement SS and means I don't have to dig into my 401K yet. I am hoping it will also keep my brain alive longer and keep me feeling younger.

For my regular job, I was an instructional designer of web-based training before I retired, and I also keep a couple of semi-dressy outfits tucked away in case I get any chances to do some consulting. I doubt it will happen, however. It is hard and takes a lot of time to market yourself. The teaching on the road came easy because I was already working part-time for this college, and just changed my location! I do know from my days working for a consulting company that you really do need to work to build up a clientele, and this can best be done before you start traveling.

Hi, Judy!! It's amazing how time flies when you're having fun. ;) Precious time spent with family is so important, good for you. I wanna go camping with grandma!! :D The largest I have looked at has been 31 ft. But, I think a 25 ft or smaller will suit me fine. You needed a little larger because of family, good move on your part. Keeping active and busy is good. I've been really blessed business wise. I've been doing web development, design, branding, marketing, social media etc. for over 7 years now. I have a good bit of referral business that never seems to slow down. I am truly grateful that my clients seem to like what I do for them. Thank you for your response and I look forward to getting to know all of you better.
WiredToLive

Postby MandysMom » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:00 am

Welcome vicki from northern California! I too would love to see pictures,of your tiny house.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:38 am

Welcome from East Texas. I fulltimed for three years in a 31 ft Class C and towed a car. I workkamped in the summer and returned to Texas for the winters. I eventually bought a mobile home in a park and downsized to a 19' Class B Roadtrek which I love cause it can go anywhere. Welcome to the forum.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby MelissaD » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:23 am

Hoosier Welcome :D
MelissaD

Postby chalet05 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:58 am

Welcome, Vicky!

My late hubby and I full-timed for 3 plus years. It took me 4 years to decide to go on my own and I have been on the road full time almost 8 years.
Anita
chalet05

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself