Greetings from Western Minnesota

Come on in and say hello.

Greetings from Western Minnesota

Postby heathershach » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi!

I have been looking for women to network with, travel alone and are not in a big hurry to get anywhere. I tend to travel between MN and WA as my oldest son is currently employed out west but would like to branch out a bit.
I see a lot of posts from both coasts but not much in between and am wondering if there is a site that connects women who are moving in the same general direction? Safety in numbers, anyone? My children are reared and I am ready to take some time for myself. I have many interests, maybe too many to list but I do want to take my time traversing the country, incorporating my interests, a few being antiquing, sightseeing and fishing whenever possible. I like State and National parks the best.

~Heather
16FB Coachman Viking/Jeep Commander
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work...
-Thomas Alva Edison
heathershach

Re: Greetings from Western Minnesota

Postby Bethers » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:53 am

Welcome, Heather. We have women from all over and then we have women traveling all over. You'll fit right in!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby IrishIroamed » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:32 am

Welcome from Illinois Heather. Lots of ladies zig-zagging the country so I'm sure you'll find someone to meet up with.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:51 am

Hello from WI
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Postby JudyJB » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:25 pm

Just keep reading posts. A while back we had one thread about where was everyone going to be this summer. So if you decide to take a trip, let us know (without listing specific campgrounds) where you will be and general dates and some of us will try to hook up with you. And a good place to look for some of us in the winter is anyplace without snow!!

As far as safety, I personally really feel safe traveling alone, but that comes with experience. All I can tell you is that all of us take precautions such as being aware of your surroundings, leaving a campground if you feel uncomfortable, keeping doors locked, etc. Most campgrounds are safer than hotels, in my opinion as someone who used to travel a lot for business. The good news is that in three years of full-time travel, I have never been bothered by anyone.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby gingerK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:58 pm

Welcome, Heather. Glad you found us. As far as a website that links you up with other women traveling in the same direction, I think you just have to join groups and watch their forums. I know there's several groups for solo travelers but I don't know if they actually "link" you up with someone else. Not sure I'd want a website that just anyone could see putting me together with others I don't really know. But that's just my 2 cents.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby WickedLady » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:23 pm

Welcome from WA State. I too prefer state parks.
WickedLady

Postby avalen » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:31 pm

welcome, from Arizona (for now :D )
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby MelissaD » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:38 am

Hoosier Welcome :D
MelissaD

Postby heathershach » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:11 am

Good morning ladies!
You all sound so welcoming and friendly. I am excited. I reared 4 sons and they are all grown mostly :). My last son is in his 3rd year of college and just graduated from high school(he's 18) so now that he will be living solo in an apt just off the UMN campus. I don't know about any other moms out there but I have found the 3rd year for my sons is the the year they have settled into school, have friends and are on their path to the future( this one wants to go to med school) and they don't come home more than holidays and big breaks so that is why at 52, I feel it's time.
I've been looking forward to this day for years and now that it is here, I realized I will be doing it all alone after having had so many people around me for years. I am excited but part of me wonders if I will be OK exploring by myself. I'm not afraid of the mechanics of the process and am fully capable but my life has revolved around home, hearth and rearing for almost 30 years, I don't know what to expect but I'm afraid I will just rot in this house if I don't go and am too young for that. My fears don't revolve around how capable I am but more, how alone I will be and not that someone will hurt me or take advantage, but more the loneliness.
I love to fish and picture myself learning how to fly fish but with the last one in college still and the research I've done on fly fishing, it seems like an expensive sport to get into. I also want to take golf up as I dabbled a little when the kids were younger and had a pretty accurate and powerful stroke.
I don't know any of you and maybe that is why maybe I can tell you as maybe I would have written in a diary as a youth, but I'm a little afraid of being alone and the motivation it will take to keep moving forward after so many years of doing for others. I'm not worried about safety. I think I have the appropriate respect for caution but how do I just go instead of staying in my safe bubble.
Thank you for all of your kind words. I really am so excited. I have spent the last week reupholstering the factory cushions for the dinette. I have cut down perfectly worn king sized cotton sheets to fit the little double mattress. I have washed and fluffed down and added a feather ticking to it all to mimic my mattress at home. I've shopped for everything I think I need and found some beautiful melmac dishes and sliver plate that cleaned up beautifully and feels good in my hand. I've made lace curtains and re purposed some drapes I had to recover the dinette. It feels like home, right down to the stainless steel appliances. I'm excited to take my little home away from home on the road.
I survived a pretty bad cancer and a divorce(right after the cancer treatment...out of the blue) that broke my heart but the thing I took from all of this is life is very precious and we had better not waste it. I will miss my husband on the road with me but I can make new memories. I hope you all have a wonderful day and thank you all for your kind words. :)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work...
-Thomas Alva Edison
heathershach

Postby IrishIroamed » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:47 am

Yes you will make new memories. and you've got the I Can Do It attitude that helps.

Be care of the dishes though, I don't think they should be microwaved (unless I'm mixing apples & oranges :? )

http://houseware.answers.com/kitchen/are-melamine-dishes-microwave-safe
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby MandysMom » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:51 pm

Welcome from northern California. The unknown and untried are always a bit intimidating. I think once you get,out and go a few times, you will gain confidence and enjoy it. Have you been on short excursions with your tt and jeep yet? Many start with short runs to nearby state or federal places both to figure out what they forgot and gain confidence in systems.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby JudyJB » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:15 pm

Good advice from Velda. I went for a four night trial run just 25 miles from my son's house. I got a full hookup site and was lucky that over those four nights, I had wind, rain, and heat, so I could check for leaks and learn how to operate furnaces and AC, plus all of my systems.

And if you have problems, don't hesitate to ask neighbor campers. I must have looked like a real amateur because I had barely shut off the engine before the lady who was camping next to me with her family yelled over that if I needed anything, her husband would be glad to help me hookup. I thanked her and told her I had to try it myself first. As it happened, I flushed all the antifreeze out of the water system, but ended up turning my hot water tank valve on just at dark. (It is located under my sink and needed to be switched over once I had flushed all the antifreeze out of the system.) I could hear water running outside and panicked because I could not find a flashlight. Three men knocked on my door with a "Lady, do you know you have water running down the outside of your motorhome?"

They suggested I turn the valve back off, took the outside cover off the hot water heater, found a plug that needed to be put in, got some plumbing tape, and screwed it in! Most importantly, they brought flashlights, and by then I had found mine. The result was that I was even able to take a hot shower that night. Anyway, campers with RVs have all gone through the first time hooking up and are usually very willing to help newcomers!

P.S. I have a whole service for four of Corelle that I bought new for my motorhome, and have almost never used it. Like most of us, I stick pretty much to paper plates and cups.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Azusateach » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:20 pm

Welcome, Heather. :)

I think one of the things I really like about this group is that you'll never feel unwelcome. And if you work it right, you can just about stay at someone's house and camp in their driveway every night you're on the road. ;)

The collective years of experience of the women in this group is well into the hundreds of years. So don't hesitate to ask. NOTHING is dumb or silly.

And ... a word about your Melmac dishes. While they're cute (I love them!) they're generally not microwave-friendly. You might want to check them before using them that way.

Again, welcome. :)
Azusateach

Postby cmcdar » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:00 am

Welcome Heather,

I had to laugh when you said that you'd like to try Fly Fishing but heard it was expensive. Like a lot of things, Fly Fishing is as cheap of expensive as you want to make it. I bought some equipment at "the Walmart" and have had great fun catching fish. NOW, I can opt to upgrade until the cows come home, but...

On the other hand, GOLF! Now that is EXPENSIVE. I've heard of places that it is $100. just to play 18 holes. :o :shock: :o THAT IS EXPENSIVE!

I am just recently retired and my partner will retire in December. That is when we begin our adventures. Maybe our paths will meet some day.

Caryl
Somewhere there is a beach with my name on it.

cmcdar

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself