Good day from AL

Come on in and say hello.

Good day from AL

Postby bluepinecones » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Sparkle and I have been friends for about 10 years. I do not own an RV but became interested in the lifestyle after helping her find one when she decided to put her life on wheels. Have greatly enjoyed keeping up with her travels.

I am a widow living in north AL. I'm 66+, was married for almost 35 years, no children, and very little family left in this world. My health is not the best but I still enjoy many good days. At present find myself having to learn to walk again for the 3rd time in 9 years. (Long story for another time and place).

I was fortunate in enjoying a long and reasonably successful career as an analyst in the defense industry: 13 years with Stanford Research Institute plus another 22+ years at SAIC. Most of my work was associated with military intel and missile defense (the "Star Wars" thing). The timing of my career was such that I was in a man's world; translation, I had to work much harder to get ahead than they did. 35 years of 60-80 hour, high pressure work weeks left me so burned out that after unexpectedly loosing my husband I found it nearly impossible to get my heart and beat up body back into my work.

Within a year, life presented a surprise opportunity. I found myself helping an elderly uncle dispose of great aunts 1930-40s household belongings. We rented a booth at a local antique mall to do this. It did not take long to discover I liked researching "old" things -learning about their history, worth, how to sell, etc.. It was time to leave my high pressure environment and try something new. I bought him out, quit my job (too young to retire at the time), and have been dabbling in antiques ever since. It was along this path that I came to know Sparkle and many other wonderful new people.

Have noticed most of you have animal companions. I have nearly always had a dog in my life. Bud for 18+ years; he is buried with my husband. Annie, a golden lab I rescued when her owner died young. She passed away about 1 1/2 years ago. Nicky, a terrier mix shares my home now. He was a shelter dog that had been adopted given away, abused, neglected and nearly froze to death the day before I found him. He and I are still learning to coexist. Winning his trust has been difficult and I fear I have badly spoiled him already. Am hoping Sparkle can teach me to be a better "pack leader" during her upcoming visit. I am failing in that role for now. He is smart but most stubborn and defensive dog I've ever encountered.

For someone who was reluctant to post at all, I have now told a group of strangers more about myself than my family probably knows! Here's to another new journey.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Re: Good day from AL

Postby Getupngo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi Blue!

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have had an interesting, full life. My condolences on the loss of your dear husband. I, too lost my DH unexpectedly, and still am picking myself up off the floor. It's a journey. I don't have much family around either, but I'll tell ya. Family is where you make it. I have family here, and now, so do you. They have carried me through a lot and shared my laughs and travels as well. They will for you as well.

Again, welcome! janice
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Bethers » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Hi and Welcome,

Sparkle presented to me that she didn't know how to give you the forum address to read without having to become a member (yes, it can be done). Now, I'm glad she didn't know how, because it's great to have you join us. Any friend of Sparkle's is a friend to us - having an rv is not required.

And boy oh boy, you've had an interesting life. Thanks for sharing so much of it with us.

I wouldn't be without a furfriend. What great companionship. I'm not good at being the boss either - I think my Peaches is the boss :)

Enjoy the forum - read and speak up where ever you feel comfortable. Glad to have you with us.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Liz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:21 pm

Welcome! As Beth said, "any friend of Sparkles...." So glad you joined us here. Hope you'll enjoy the forum.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:45 pm

Welcome!!! Glad to see you here.....the "Sisters" here are a great family....and don't worry that you told us too much about yourself....we've all done that and are glad we have friends here who really are family......Hope you are enjoying our travels and tales.....when you are ready, just jump right in and join the fun.....a RV is not required....just your love of life.....
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby mtngal » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum! I don't have an rv (yet!) either. But it's still fun to read everybody's adventures. Enjoy!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Sparkle » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Wow! I learned something too. I had never even thought about how you got got the antiques business. Let me tell you, she has the nicest high quality stuff! She knows more about silver than anyone I know. Her house is also filled with museum quality furnishings. She (I don't know whether you want your name used or not) will be one of our "wise women". When we run into a situation I'm sure we'll get a well thought out answer. Welcome, now I don't have to worry about letting you know where I am! :lol:
Sparkle

Postby Nasoosie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:23 pm

HI AL!! Welcome to the group of special women who love life, RVs, or not! I really enjoyed reading your intro, and can't wait to see some pictures of you and your latest 4-footer! Sparkle's posts have been so much fun to read, as she was 'doing' a few towns this winter with Beth. I hope you will grow to love this family as much as I have in just a short time. Kick back, and enjoy exploring the site.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Let me join the others in welcoming you to the forum. Please jump right on in whenever the urge hits you. We all have different life situations - some travel, some don't - makes no difference. We're all here for fun or support, whichever is needed. Glad you joined us.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:41 pm

Welcome Blue!

It's been said already, but "any friend of Sparkle's is a sure friend of ours!"

I'm glad you joined the campfire,.. pull up a chair and sit with us.
Cedar518

Postby Mollysmom » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:57 pm

Welcome ! I love your screen name, it made me smile :D
I have a terrier too and they can be a real challenge - I'm sure it's worse with a pup that's been so badly abused. Bless you for taking the poor thing into your home.
I'm glad you joined us !!
Mollysmom

Postby avalen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:05 pm

Welcome, so glad you joined in, and don't worry about telling too much, but that
comment comes from the one that recently learned "I'm a chatterbox!" :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby bluepinecones » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks to all for such a great welcome.
Want you to see Nicky but am having trouble figuring out how to post photo (will add under pets if I ever get the hang of it). I have a few shots on photobucket but cannot get them from there to forum. Suggestions welcome. BTW I use a Mac not PC if that matters.

Thanks again. Once I get over the rough spots, know I'm going to enjoy getting to know all better.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Bethers » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:16 pm

On photobucket you need to grab the IMG code - copy that and then paste it into your message. That's it. Usually (depending on how you have your settings in photobucket) you can get the code by hovering over the image you want (several codes will appear). Find the IMG code and highlight it, then do a Control C on your computer to copy it. When you get to the message, do a Control V to paste it in.

(I hope that's the same on a Mac).
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:08 pm

Hello & Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story. I look forward to seeing more of your posts & your little Nicky. I have rescues too, and while they can be challenging, it is so rewarding to watch them learn to be happy pups. Hope you enjoy the forum. :D
NakedPupsAndMe

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself