Woo hoo, and new!

Come on in and say hello.

Woo hoo, and new!

Postby Leemom3 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:35 am

Hi All,

So glad I found this forum! I have been trying to connect with other women RVers. My husband and I have a truck camper - you know, the slide in kind. I had been a camper in my (much) younger days in tents, but then my husband and I got married and he - not a lover of camping - never wanted to go. We went through tents and a pop-up camper with the kids over the years, but they never got interested in camping either...

Finally, this past fall, after nearly 3 decades of not finding a good compromise of the camping vs no camping divergent viewpoints between my husband and me, we settled on a truck camper. And we have been hooked! We love it. We need to get out more. And we had a slow start because of having a very old and infirmed dog who would not make it as a good camper, but she has moved onto an eternal dog park out "there" with our other dog.

But...while I really enjoy going out with my husband, I still want to go without him, but with some gals. We are having some work conflicts, so we may take some separate trips.

I hope to meet up with some of you ladies here. If anyone lives in NJ and enjoys hiking and/or biking (trails), give a holler. Maybe we can meet up sometime.
Leemom3

Re: Woo hoo, and new!

Postby JudyJB » Sun May 17, 2015 1:05 pm

Welcome! Sorry it took so long for this post to be approved, but I had three grandkids camping with me overnight. (Need to now vacuum all the tracked in grass clippings and do laundry.)

Glad you found us and your husband have been enjoying your truck camper. Actually, I have never liked "camping," but I LOVE traveling and have become a full-timer--on the road for three years and enjoying it. Camping to me always meant staying in a tent and sleeping on the ground, plus having to hike in the middle of the night to a public restroom. I love my motorhome because it enables me to go where I want to go and enjoy all the comforts of home at the same time.

I don't know anyone on the forum who lives in NJ, but please check the map and maybe you can find someone. A lot of us have gone up the eastern coast, however. Maybe you can meet up with some of us on our travels.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby beazle » Sun May 17, 2015 3:54 pm

Welcome, from another newbie to the forum! Glad you found a way to get out and go places. Nothing wrong with going by yourself on occasion: I believe it's good for the soul to fly solo once in a while, and good for a partnership, as well.
Eileen (In Wisconsin)
beazle

Postby avalen » Sun May 17, 2015 5:46 pm

welcome :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun May 17, 2015 5:48 pm

Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio. If you like exploring and hiking don't be afraid of trying out some adventures on you own. :) Watch for GTGs when someone somewhere decides to pick a plave and set a time frame. It is all pretty informal. Becasue forum members are so spread out across the country and some Full-timers are likely as not to travel some where near you, check the member map for folks in your area or PM someone if they sound as if they are traveling in your region. We are getting very good at holding mini gtgs even if that means just meeting for lunch or dinner somewhere as we drive through...... :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Bethers » Sun May 17, 2015 7:07 pm

Welcome. Glad to have you with us. Jump in anywhere.

Hope to meet you on the road one day.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MelissaD » Sun May 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Hoosier Welcome :D

My grandparents lived in Plainfield NJ for years as Grandpa worked in the city in the 60's. Bet it's changed since then :lol:
MelissaD

Postby MandysMom » Mon May 18, 2015 2:43 am

Welcome aboard! Hopefully you will find a GTG (get together) near enough that you can meet part of this wonderful group in person.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby gingerK » Mon May 18, 2015 8:51 am

Glad to meet you on the forum, Leemom. What would you like us to call you? You have found a great bunch of women here, always supportive and helpful whenever you need something. If you're ever coming thru IL I always have room for an RV, especially a TC!
Kathy
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby WickedLady » Mon May 18, 2015 4:34 pm

Welcome from WA state.
WickedLady

Postby Leemom3 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:57 am

Hi All,

Thank you for the warm welcome. As for any delay in getting this approved...I have been a bit busy here and didn't notice!

I also have to laugh at the idea that I consider it "camping" in a truck camper (TC), including the furnace, wet bath, fridge...well you get the point. Yes, camping for me in years past was in a tent, sometimes in a pounding rainstorm! But I think I am no longer at that point in my life. The fun part of the TC with a truck that can go a bit off-road is that I can get out into some more remote places and enjoy the sights, sounds, and especially the smells, yet still do have those comforts when I need them.

I will take your recommendation and look at the map as well as see who is where. Just meeting up for a quick cup of tea or a lunch with a traveling lady sounds fun.

Thanks all,
Lee-Ann (and that answers what you may call me...although I have used the screen name Leemom3 for so many years I feel like that is my other name!)
Leemom3

Postby cmcdar » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi leemom3,

Welcome, I am new here too. I had to laugh, reading your post, as I use to be a "backpacking snob" thinking that unless you were on the ground, in a tent, cold and miserable, you weren't camping.

Ha Ha I got over that about 18 years ago. Now comfort in the outdoors is where it is at!!!! I am pimping out my hybrid to be my luxury resort. Hey, I deserve it. ;)

Caryl
Somewhere there is a beach with my name on it.

cmcdar

Postby FancyFree » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:57 pm

Welcome, Lee-Ann, from hot humid sunny Florida. Our first camper was a TC. Really enjoyed it.
Marilyn
FancyFree

Postby JudyJB » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:11 pm

So, what you need to do, Leeann, is convince us of the wonderful places we could visit and camp at in New Jersey. Frankly, I have only driven through it on the way to someplace else, and I've only done that once or twice in my life.

Then you will get a whole bunch of adventurous ladies visiting you, so that could be a bit dangerous. We do have a tendency to actually show up! :o

I am heading to New England in a couple of weeks, but had not even considered driving through NJ because I know very little about it. So sell me! (Sue and I have done that a little with Michigan.)
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to Introduce Yourself