Greetings!

Come on in and say hello.

Greetings!

Postby Sarahbarr » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Hello all! My husband and I are exploring the purchase of a class B RV for weekend trips and the occasional longer stint. We're a few years from retirement, but want to start enjoying the RV lifestyle now. Looking for ideas/opinions on what vehicle is the best for us.

Sarah
Sarahbarr

Re: Greetings!

Postby JudyJB » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:50 am

Hi, Sarah. Welcome to the forum!

You probably will want to post something about vehicle suggestions in the General area, but the decision about the RV is really dependent on how you plan to use it and what you personally need. For example, is it just the two of you? Or will you occasionally be hauling around guests or children? And how much stuff will you need for longer trips? Some of us live with very few things and others like to take pets and hobby stuff, like crafts and kayaks.

Will you want a real bathroom with a shower, or do you mind using campground facilities? If you want a real shower, you might want to consider a very small Class C, especially if one of you is tall. In any case, we are a very friendly group and will be glad to give you advice.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:48 am

Welcome to the forum. The search for the rig is alwys the first adventure. Dream and research and imagine.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby IrishIroamed » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi Sarah. I'm from Illinois with the same hopes as you (retirement) and know what you're going thru for deciding a rig. I too wanted a small C, but since it's unknown yet how far away retirment may be, I chose (for now) to do the buy-a-truck-get-a-travel-trailer so I can learn path.

Have fun on the search and go to as many RV's shows and dealers as you can.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby MelissaD » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Hoosier Welcome :D

Buying a RV is really a reflection of ourselves, our needs and wants and probably most important, what our check book can afford :lol:

If someone likes to go somewhere and sit for 3 months, a 5th wheel or travel trailer might be a better option. If one tends to move often a motorhome (Class A, C or B) might be the better option. Some people find a used unit is best to lower their initial cost and do some self exploration for a couple of years before buying their "retirement" RV.

When we looked we made a list of eeds, wants and not wants. For the most part the last helped us find what was right for us. 3 years later, the outdoor kitchen (which I originally did not want) might have a worth while option for us. I cook over the campfire often and the outdoor kitchen/fridge could come in handy at times. But until you have actually camped or used an RV you might miss an option or find one you thought would be great to be a "not so much" item.

Many campgrounds offer cabins. If there is a "Get Together" in your area you might consider getting a cabin and joining the group for the weekend. This would allow you to talk and tour what others have done.
MelissaD

Postby avalen » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:22 pm

welcome :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby WickedLady » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:31 pm

Welcome from WA state. Where are you located?
WickedLady

Postby gingerK » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:44 pm

Welcome to the forum, Sarah :)
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Bethers » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Glad to have you with us, Sarah. Sounds like you've already been given a lot of great advice. Only you two can decide which is the right choice for you, though. It sounds like a cliche, but I looked for a long time - most rigs simply weren't in good enough shape, one I made an offer (long distance, sight unseen) that was turned down. Then I walked in the one I purchased in 2005 and it was home. I made an offer, they accepted and I lived in that rig until March of 2014. It had problems, which I knew were going to start being more than I wanted to deal with, so I started the search again. I didn't expect to purchase as quickly as I did, or new, but walked into this one and again new it would/could be my home - and a year later I still love it. I do still sometimes miss the first one - it was my first ever rv. I'm a Class C kind of gal, probably always lol ... but they speak to me.

Have fun looking - at everything ... and pick which makes the most sense for you. And definitely keep an eye out for gtgs, big or small - we are friendly and will be happy to show off our homes (sometimes happier than others when I have a mess lol ... but for the forum sisters, always!)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby beazle » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:38 am

Welcome from Wisconsin, and from another newbie. We are thinking along the same lines: Class B for weekend or longer trips with my husband. We just retired and are getting our house in order (literally) before we sell it and move to a one-story dwelling and get the RV. Lots to look at, even in the Class Bs with little variation in floorplans, generally. Probably we really want a small C, but stuck on "stealth" traveling sometimes. Keep us posted on your progress, and know you will learn a lot from this forum.
Eileen
beazle

Postby bluepinecones » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:23 am

Welcome from another Sarah.
I started out looking for a class B also but ended up with a small class C. Good luck on your search.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby JudyJB » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:12 am

Forget stealth. I bought a big motorhome so I could find it in a mall parking lot!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Colliemom » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:36 am

Welcome from Michigan. Trailer person here, so can't help much in the search advice, but others have already said a lot. Good luck.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Sarahbarr » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:59 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and great advice! What fun to be shopping for an RV...looking forward to learning a lot from y'all!

Sarah
In Texas now, relocating to Atlanta in a few months
Sarahbarr

Return to Introduce Yourself