re-introduction exploring in a van

Come on in and say hello.

re-introduction exploring in a van

Postby ride2eat2ride » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:43 am

I found this site a couple of years ago when I started thinking about spending some time full-timing in a cargo van. I've now done it, so I'm re-introducing myself.
Originally from NY, I've lived in Northern Virginia for the last 21 years. Both my sons are in college (one graduates this Spring). I've taken to the road for a couple of years to try and find a new place to live.
I'm looking for a place with great bicycle riding, friendly people and beautiful scenery. A really good public library and some good restaurants too :-)
My vehicle is a Ford Transit 150. It has a 130" wheelbase and the medium height roof, which means I can stand up in it.
With some help from a friend's husband, I've built a raised bed from angle iron and some plywood, and by spending a bunch of money, had a maxxair fan installed in the roof.
I'm currently in Florida, though about to head off to Hawaii for 2 weeks. Once I return I'm headed west and then north.
I had spent August riding my bicycle around Oregon with WomanTours and want to go back to see some of the places I liked in winter.
I plan to drive down the California coast as well.
I need to be back in VA for graduation mid-May, and then after a 10 week trip to Europe and the UK, I'll be headed west again, along a northern route.

I really enjoy reading the posts on this forum, and hope to meet some of you along the way.
Lauren

(I am keeping a blog, [url]whereislaurenridingnow.blogspot.com[/url], though I'm not much of a writer.
ride2eat2ride

Re: re-introduction exploring in a van

Postby gingerK » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:59 am

Welcome back, Lauren. Sounds like you're a gal with lots of plans! Good luck with your search.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Bethers » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:18 am

Welcome back, Lauren!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MelissaD » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:12 pm

Welcome back, thanks for sharing in your blog.
MelissaD

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:31 pm

Welcome back to the forum. May you adventures continue on.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Cudedog » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:07 pm

Lauren!

So excited to read that you did full-timing in a cargo van. I have a GMC Savanna that I converted to a camper (see link below). Thus far, I have done a bit of travelling in it, but not near as much as I want/hope to do. Although it would be a bit cramped, I can see where I could full-time - at least for a while - in my van.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear of your cargo van adventures, suggestions, problems, solutions - anything at all! Did you love it? Like it? Hate it?

What kind of supplies and equipment did you find indispensable? What would you do differently next time?

PLEASE POST!!

Thank you.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Colliemom » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:08 am

Hi Lauren, Welcome back. If you happen to get into Michigan's Upper Peninsula, check out the Marquette area, as it's a bicycle riders heaven. Also the lower Peninsula also has extensive bike trails as well.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Queen » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:27 am

Wow, you are a woman on the go! How fun!
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Return to Introduce Yourself