Hello from Oregon

Come on in and say hello.

Re: Hello from Oregon

Postby OutandAbout » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi Dorothy, I'm relatively new here also. I think you will find ifulltiming the right thing to get started with after your medical scare. As the other gals have stated, if you need the money, you can always workcamp or find something part-time if you are staying put for awhile..I'm still in a stix and bricks and try to get out as often as I can and for as long as I can. Welcome the this wonderful group of women. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby Getupngo » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:32 pm

Dorothy, welcome to the forum. We're a bunch of crazy women -- and not at all embarrassed about it! LOL. Just pull up a camp chair and put your feet by the fire.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Orchid » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:50 pm

You have the size class C I have thought about for myself if I didn't have a horse for a dog. I know you can hardly wait to get off the job and on the road. We're a nosy bunch so keep us informed. :lol:
Orchid

Postby Liz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:37 pm

How smart you are to plan for that early retirement! Wish I'd thought of it years ago...but I finally made it and love traveling in my little rv. I'm guessing by your name you like to hike? That's my favorite activity when traveling....my dog wouldn't have it any other way. Hope you'll post some pictures of your rig. Welcome to our forum!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby hike » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:36 am

Hi Liz,
Yes, I love to hike and I look forward to being able to hike in lots of new places. I started out in my younger days backpacking. If fact I moved to Oregon to do it and spent almost every summer weekend for a couple of years on Mt Hood hiking all the trails. In fact I got a dog to go hiking with me and ended up with my first Siberian Husky wich led me to sled dog racing and dog shows which led me to buying my first RV which led me to deciding on fulltiming when I retired which put me right where I am! :lol:

By the way, Orchid I have made trips in the early days with two people and 3 Siberians in about a 23' Class C. I would not like to fulltime under those conditions though!
hike

Postby Liz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:39 pm

You see? You never know where a little hike will lead you....wow!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Welcome, to the forum. I'm in TN, when you get this way, give me a call, we'll connect. I like your plan of action. You will love the forum.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby WickedLady » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Welcome, Hike (that is one of my favorite things to do also). Enjoy retirement; I sure do. Maybe I will be able to go full-time before too long and spend winters on my little lot in AZ. I have a 16' travel trailer and a Golden Retriever for a companion. He loves to travel as well.
Marda
WickedLady

Postby hike » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:04 am

Oh I love those Goldens. I was a puppy raiser for Canine Companions for Independence for many years and I raised mainly Goldens and I fell in love with every one of them. They are one of my favorite breeds. Give yours a hug for me. :lol:
hike

Postby Orchid » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:49 am

I own two golden retrievers also. One is full blooded, one is part golden. They are lovely dogs. I'm putting off doing any significant traveling until I'm down to my younger dog. He's a handful alone. My other dog is elderly, a wonderful traveler, but not physically able to make trips anymore. Cheryl
Orchid

Postby hike » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:19 pm

I had two old dogs, a Siberian and a Golden there at the end and I couldn't even consider selling my house and moving into an RV while they were still around. I did take trips with the Golden though. She was so sweet. Enjoy them while they are still here. They are the best of friends.
hike

Postby SeeyaGal » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:37 am

Welcome Dorothy, Sled dogs huh...I went on a dog sled up in Alaska but it was on a dirt trail because it was summer time. I still want to go back when there in the snow and go to the Denali West Lodge at Lake Minchumina. I met Tonya Schlentner the owner with her Mom when I was up in Denali area. Tonya used to train Susan Butchers dogs and now training Ramy Brooks dogs.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby hike » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:01 pm

In Skagway, there is a helicopter service that would take you up on a glacier where you could get a ride on a dog sled. I seriously considered that but it was over $400 and I just couldn't justify it. Sounds neat though.
hike

Postby Bethers » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:07 pm

Oh, you just gave me one more thing to dream about and possibly do on my trip to AK this summer. That would be so kewl. We shall see. I'd have to justify the cost also - but since that would be 2/3rds of the way (or thereabouts) through my trip - will see how my budget is doing :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:04 am

Other ideas;
On your drive south from Anchorage stop at Gridwood and ride the ski lift! Wonderful view of the mountains and Turnagain Arm.
Just before Girdwood, drive thru the longest 'train tunnel' over to Whittier. Not a whole lot to see in Whittier, but can put your RV on the ferry and cross over Prince William Sound to Valdez. Wonderful ferry ride!
AlmostThere

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself