Hello from Oregon

Come on in and say hello.

Hello from Oregon

Postby hike » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:41 am

Hi all. I am still working full time and enjoying it less. :x I have been saving and planning since about 1999 to retire as soon as I can and the time is getting close now. I had to wait until my son was through college and I had sufficient funds to live on and I should be ready this summer. :D It is a little scary to be so close. I have been living in my RV since September 2005 so I could put away more money and to see if I would like living in an RV. I still thoroughly love living in my little RV and wouldn't go back to a house or apartment for anything.

I have been taking a trip most summers from Oregon to Wisconsin where I have family. Other than that, I have not been doing much traveling because of the full time job and being on call a lot. Well, except for taking 2 months off in 2007 to go to Alaska. :mrgreen: All that will end this summer though I hope. Didn't need the economy to be the way it is now but I think I am going to go for it anyway. I feel a little guilty giving up a good job at this time though.

Anyway, I hope to see some of you when I am out and about in the years to come.

Dorothy
hike

Re: Hello from Oregon

Postby Orchid » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:46 am

Welcome Dorothy! It looks like you're already living the dream or at least part of it. What kind of RV do you have? I'm new too but am feeling right at home with my new friends. I look forward to getting to know you better. Cheryl
Orchid

Postby hike » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:04 am

I have a 27' 2008 Born Free Class C motorhome and am set up to tow a Honda CR-V. I have not had much chance to tow yet so that will be a new experience when I bust outta here. :lol:

Dorothy
hike

Postby Nasoosie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:56 am

WELCOME, Dorothy!

I can't wait to see some pictures of you and your RV. You are where I am now....waiting to retire. I had hoped for this June (I'm a teacher) but have decided to hold onto my job for one more year to try to pare down some more of my debts. It IS a very sacry move, especially with the economy being as it is today. I shall look forward to seeing you do this next year, as I plan for my time! I live in my trailer all summer, and absolutely LOVE it! But winters I am stuck inside this house as the temps can drop to -30 F. and worse.

I am looking forward to the time when I can move back out there!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby avalen » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:33 am

Welcome Hike (Dorothy) your living like me too. I've been in my fifthwheel for two
years now but still have a few more years to go until retirement, actually more than
a few but it just depends when I decide to actually do it. When it comes down to
it, it will all depend on the figures I guess. I have family in Wisconsin also and do
plan on making a trip out that way myself. I look forward to seeing pics of your
rig and hearing of your adventures. Do you have pets that travel with you too?
Do post pictures when ya get a chance to.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:41 am

Welcome Dorothy!

I should have read your intro before i read about your rig,... you have already answered my questions. I retired in '04, but have been working part year in the local school system for two years. It's a great job and I have a lot of time off summers and week long breaks at other times. That might be an option for you if you find that you want some sort of income yet. Like you, the economy makes me nervous about giving up the job. I don't plan on it for at least another year. I like that paycheck! :lol:

If you ever get to the northeast I have plenty of room for you to park for a few days while you see the area. I hope to meet you "on the trail"...
Cedar518

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:30 am

Welcome Dorothy. I'm sure you'll love being retired. If you need a little extra you can always workamp.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:19 am

Welcome Dorothy,

I certainly know what you mean about the economy - I left a good job 3 1/2 years ago to go fulltime - thinking I'd have to go back. And with the economy what it is, I probably should, but not just yet, hopefully never. As mentioned above, I workamp to help things out and I do have a small income from internet businesses I own. But, I think you're making the right move. We can always say it's not a good time for reasons, but sounds like you've worked out most of them.

Hope to meet you on the road soon. And I'm doing that Alaska trip this summer in my rig. Can't wait!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi Dorothy,

Hope you like the forum. Everyone here has been very friendly & welcoming to me, & it is full of good info! I'm going now to see your pics. :D
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby hike » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:21 pm

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I have posted pics of my RV in the forum for that. I have no pets due to working so many hours. It would be stuck in the RV too much. I have always had dogs before this and I don't know if I will get one after I retire. Depends on what I end up doing.

I really don't want to put off retiring too much longer. I had a brain aneurysm in the spring of 2007 and I could have been gone just like that. Fortunately, I lucked out and had great medical care and came through with almost no problems. But it sure was a wake up call and it renewed my desire to retire as early as possible and do things I have always wanted to. If necessary in later years I can workcamp as suggested or get a seasonal or part time job to help make ends meet if I have to. But I am pretty good at staying within budget so hopefully it won't come to that. Unless I get bored and want to work! :shock:

Dorothy
hike

Postby Sparkle » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:41 pm

Welcome welcome welcome! Wow, a Brain Aneurysm! Yes, I'd retire too. You deserve it. I've lived fulltime in my RV for over 3 years now and can't imagine any other life. Even though I have a good Social Security check I work summers. I don't want to turn into an old woman who mumbles to herself! I do reservations or front desk at a Lodge. I think once you get on the road you will find a dog is a good companion and/or gaurd dog. There are many shelter dogs that would love that life style. Mine does for sure. Have you given any thought of where you'd like to go once you are FREE?
Sparkle

Postby hike » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:06 pm

Yes, I know exactly where I am going when I am free. :lol: I will hang around the Pacific NW until it is time to head for Wisconsin near the end of August for my Mothers 90th birthday. Then I am heading to Kentucky and Tennesee and check out that area a bit before heading to Texas. I will be checking out Texas and may become a Texan. After that I will head to New Mexico to visit my brother and to Arizona to visit another brother and probably stay the rest of the winter. Spring will see me back in the NW. That is as far as I have planned so far. :D Of course all of this may change at the last minute, nothing is ever cast in stone.

Dorothy
hike

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:52 pm

Welcome, Dorothy!!! We all so enjoy new gals here....sounds like you are about ready for the next stage in your life....RVing ;) We're here to help and support you in anyway you need....We get a little rowdy and have lots of laughs....share our thoughts and adventures....and vent when we need to....Glad you are here... :D
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby carold » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Dorothy. Sounds like you're about to click your heels together and take off. :lol: We will enjoy traveling with you as you post and most here give advice, even when you don't ask for it. Join the campfire and the warmth of the Forum. carold
carold

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Sounds like you've got it really together. As for towing: DON'T TRY TO BACK UP that's all there is to it. I was once given a great piece of advise: "Drive the front end and the rest will follow" and 'TURN WIDE".

I will be in Silver City New Mexico (KOA) 4/1/09 thru probably end of September then I will be in Kerrville Texas (my winter home) near San Antonio. Would love to meet you if you can come for a visit.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself