Hello!

Come on in and say hello.

Hello!

Postby Noelle » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:10 am

Hi - I'm happy to find this forum for women RV-ers! I've read many of the posts here and look forward to getting to know everyone. My name is Noelle and I'm a divorced mom from Maryland with two grown sons, anticipating retirement within the next couple years and wanting to get back to being the traveller I was as a young adult. The traveling back then was in a VW camper van - the kind with the popup top and fridge that ran on an ice block you bought every few days. Unfortunately, my older body and current creature-comfort expectations no longer are satisfied with a VW camper! I still want to keep it relatively small since I will mostly be a solo traveller and have been researching Class B/B+ - trying to decide if the B+ space is worth to me the loss of the B's maneuverability, access to boon-docking spots, and stealth. That's a decision I'm sure tons of people struggle with since this is such an expensive purchase. So...I'm off to the Hershey PA RV show this weekend to get a first hand feel of the options and then will look for a late model used. I love travel, but have basically let my job consume all my time the last ten years....having an RV sitting in the driveway calling my name should help me develop some work/life balance before I retire altogether! I enjoy photography, reading, computers, and technology/gadgets in general, and look forward to being a part of this group!
Noelle

Re: Hello!

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:25 am

Welcome. I love my small C. I ruled out a B for full timing and wanted the over cab bed, not the entertainment center, therefore a C. Look and look more and what's right for YOU will make itself known.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:06 pm

welcome :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:10 pm

Welcome, Noelle! We're glad you joined us.

Feel free to discuss the pros and cons of every rig with this group...there are years and years of experience here in making the exact same decision. Don't rule out a small travel trailer for maneuverability (that's what I have).

There are several discussions on the forum about choosing a rig...if I was home, I'd help you find a couple. Try the search engine.

We'll enjoy helping you spend your money - we do a fine job of it!
mitch5252

Postby MsCrow » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:52 pm

Hi Noelle :)
MsCrow

Postby gingerK » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:15 pm

Welcome to the forum, Noelle! Have fun hunting for your new RV
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby MandysMom » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Welcome aboard. As Beth said, you will know when "your rv" calls your name. I do want to say, though, I have boondocked in my 22 ft Leosure Travel van class B and in my 40 foot bus conversion. Dont let size hang you up from just one point. Study a variety of types and decide what works for YOU. Be patient. Boondocking is more about stuff like solar and tank size than about length of vehicle.
Velda in northern California
MandysMom

Postby Birdie » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:48 pm

Welcome Noelle. The experts (who are they?) say buy your third rig first. Had I known what my third rig was going to be I would have done that! However, now that I am in my third rig I do some boon docking, but with my size rig there is no stealth camping and the get around in short tight spots is a challenge.

Just keep a list of must haves and wanna haves and be honest with yourself about those items. Know what boon docking or dry camping requires, consider how long you want to be out before you touch back into the main stream, because that will make you look at all tank sizes and your power requirements. Take the list with you on your looking jaunts and you will have a great time looking at all the neat things on the RVs today.

Good luck and be sure to take us with you on your search.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Othersharon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Welcome, Noelle, from PA. You'll get lots of good advice here! As I was told...you'll know it when you see it! Sold my B for something a little bigger and so glad I did! Just took my first trip in it and am looking forward to more! The Hersey show will have your head spinning by the time you get through it! I'm hoping to get down for it this week end too!! Even if I'm not in the market for anything, it's fun to go! PM me if you want to meet up! Have fun and keep us informed!
Othersharon

Postby WickedLady » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:28 pm

Welcome, Noelle, from WA state. Take your time and have fun looking for that perfect-for-you rig.
WickedLady

Postby MelissaD » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:40 am

Hoosier Welcome :D

Don't just look, try them out. Sit on the toilet, lay down on the bed, stand in the shower, can you make the bed, see the TV from the different seats? Can you live and function in it? How it looks and how well it fits you, can make all the difference in the world. Decide how you want to use it. Some people don't shower in their RV and others do so is the shower important? Some use the toilet and others only in the middle of the night. Some like a "home style bathroom and others want the toilet in the closet. Can you comfortably get dressed. Seems silly but it's often the simple/little things that make all the difference.
MelissaD

Postby MandysMom » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:10 am

Melissa gives good advice.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby IrishIroamed » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:00 am

Welcome to the forum Noelle - looking is 1/2 the fun, but can be confusing because there are sooo many different things to look for. I go to as many RV shows as time & distance allows, and have found that a lot of the floor plans are very similar, it's the little things that may make your decision go one way or another. Happy hunting!
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby monik7 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:51 pm

Welcome from Northern California.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Noelle » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks for all the welcoming comments and great advice! OtherSharon - I didn't see your comment about meeting up at the show until after getting home - would have loved the GTG and chance to chat and compare opinions.
I really thought the RV show would help me narrow my choices down to a couple to watch for used, instead I walked away baffled by all the choices and more confused than before I arrived. Hershey is billed as the largest RV show in the US - maybe it was just too overwhelming. Wish I lived in an area with large RV dealers, but they are all a couple hours away or more. There is another show in January in Dulles, VA and I'm planning to take that one in. Don't mean to sound disheartened; I'm not, just surprised that I didn't know myself as well as I thought!
I love the advice to buy your third RV first, lol, so now I just have to decide what the heck that is. ;) It's fascinating to read the the posts in the "rigs" folder and see what folks have and why - it really is a very individual/personal decision.
Noelle
Noelle

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself