To buy or not to buy a used Roadtrek?

Come on in and say hello.

Re: To buy or not to buy a used Roadtrek?

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:05 pm

I don't have a Roadtrek but there are several on here that have one. I'm sure they will reply when they see your post. Roadtreks have a good reputation. I would look for one with an onboard generator. It takes a big generator to run an air conditioner or 2 smaller ones hooked together. Have you looked on RV Trader. I know 2 women that have bought vans and had them delivered. They were both happy with what they bought.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Othersharon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:34 pm

Welcome! Lots of fun and great advice here! I just sold my 99 RT Popular and DH and I owned a 94 Versatile a few years ago. Of the two units, I preferred the Popular. It is a few inches wider and for me when the bed is made it made the difference of having room to stretch out or touching from one side to the other in the Versatile. I am tall so that ultimately played into my choosing to buy another rig. I realized that with me and two large dogs I felt closed in and even though I didn't need to, I always felt like I needed to duck my head when I walked around in it! But on the upside I was always comfortable driving it anywhere! I do agree with Martha, I wouldn't consider one without a generator. It wasn't an issue when there was two of us since one of us could stay with the dogs. But now it is an issue. And I'm glad I have one. You might check but I think we could have added an on board generator to the Versatile. The dealer, I believe, said it could be done for about $3500.00. He also suggested a carrier on the back with a generator locked down on it. A cheaper alternative. Between the two units there weren't many other differences. But with all this being said I think you could be happy in a Roadtrek. If I could have afforded it I would have looked at one of the newer taller models just to stay with the brand. I had lots of storage too! Amazing for such a small RV! It would be a great way to get comfortable with the life style! Where are you located? I saw several RT's in the FL and sunbelt areas for sale. Happy hunting and keep us posted. I know there are several other gals on the forum that own RT's and they can probably offer their thoughts on them.
Othersharon

Postby Bethers » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi Shannon and welcome. I would make sure, if you'll be Boondocking and needing it, that you get a model with the generator already, or at least prepped for one so that adding it is easy. As to a RT, they are wonderful small units. I looked at them initially bit decided to go with a small (22 foot) C instead. Personal choice. If this RT is in good shape and has what you need, go for it.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby carolb » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:59 am

Hello Shannon :) I'm a Trek owner (2001 170), & haven't met a Trekker who doesn't LOVE theirs! But generator is a must if you need to leave pooper--unless you can plug in for a/c. I travel with 3 dogs--one med, two small--& we're very comfortable. You sound like me--very simple!!!! No bells & whistles for me either. Can't beat the easy handling of a small unit either--go anywhere & leave just as easily :lol: Good luck, & keep us posted.
carolb

Postby MelissaD » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:52 am

Hoosier Welcome :D

To get the best bang for your buck you might also look at the mall C's before making your final choice. They tend have a little more room and are often a lower cost than the class B's. A built in generator and solar system would give you great flexibility in your travels.

Don't forget, we would like pictures when you make up your mind :lol:
MelissaD

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:30 am

I bought a 1999 Roadtrek POP 190 (twin bed model) with 100,000 miles on it BUT it came with the original paperwork and ALL the service records. I bought it from www.vantasticvans.com in Albuquerque New Mexico sight unseen. The salesman, Wilson, did a phone walk thru with me inside and out and I paid $1,000 to have them deliver it to me in Texas. I could still have refused it upon delivery but would have lost the $1,000. I paid $17,000 - they were asking $25,000 (it was on consignment) but it had been on the lot for almost a year. I told them I only had $18,000 including delivery and I had made arrangements with my bank to finance part of it. I was very happy with them and their service. My RT now has 114,000 miles and still going strong. I fulltimed in a 30' Class C but when I stopped fulltiming I wanted something smaller and much more maneuverable. The roadtrek can go anywhere a big pickup struck can go and it can make U-turns. My only complaint in the Roadtreks is the shower with the pullout curtain. Its a PITA so I usually use a campground shower or do the Navy shower thing and baby wipes are wonderful.

You should get one with a generator if you want to boondock at all or use it for sightseeing itself. When I unhook at a campsite to go exploring I can kick the generator on for my puppies and then take my time exploring or shopping or whatever.

Check out the website for vantasticvans.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby mtngal » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:49 am

My Roadtrek is a 03 Versitle built on the Chevy chassis; brought used in 08 with 45,0000 miles. LOVE IT! I'm at 100,000 miles now and counting. NO plans to upgrade to anything newer/bigger. My only caution would be to have a savings for unexpected repairs. Things wear out in older rigs: water pump, starter, etc. don't want to discourage in any way, but it is what it is and better to be prepared. Yes, mine is easy to drive and park; and yes, totally comfortable for me. My back stays as bed (looks like a day bed when not in use), front seats both turn to create a nice size 'living room' up front. Let us know what you decide!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Liz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:02 pm

You should be able to find a used RT with an inboard generator for that amount of money. Keep looking...they are good RVs.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby oliveoil » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:08 pm

EXCELLENT INFORMATION----- EVERYONE---- HELLO--- THIS IS OLIVEOIL--- I KNOW- LONG TIME NO SEE--- I MET SEVERAL OF YOU IN 2008 WHEN YA CAME TO BEAUTIFUL BRANSON, MO USA!!! I CAME BACK TO THIS FORUM FOR INFORMATION--- AS LONG STORY-- I POSTED IT ON WHAT WAS IT-- I THINK BUY SELL & TRADE-- OR SOMETHING--- ON THIS FORUM--

OH-- WELL HERE IS A COPY OF WHAT I SAID-- AS I AM TOOOO LAZY TO REPEAT IT ALL!!!!
HI-- I HAVE NOT BEEN ON THIS FORUM FOR A COON'S AGE--- BUT I'LL TRY TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORTER--- BUT WE HAVE A CLASS C MOTOR HOME--- THAT IS IN REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD CONDITION--- BUT WE LIVE IN BEAUTIFUL BRANSON, MO. USA-- :) THE REASON I CAME TO THE FORUM TODAY--WAS TO ASK ALL OF YOU-- IF YOU OWN A CLASS B MOTOR HOME WHAT YOU HAVE & HOW YOU LIKE IT----- ETC-- ETC--
WE HAVE TO SELL OUR CLASS C MOTOR HOME-- AS I HAVE MCS-- MULTI CHEMICAL SENSITIVITIES-- & I CAN'T TOLERATE ANY PERFUME-- DRYER SHEETS-- SCENTED PRODUCTS-- ETC- ETC-- & OUR MOTOR HOME WAS MY MCS SAFE HOME ON WHEELS -- AS IT HAS NO TOXIC CHEMICALS USED IN IT AT ALL OF ANY KIND-- & THE RV IS IN THE CONDITION THAT MY HUSBAND HAS SAID-- I WOULD NOT BE AFRAID TO GET IN IT & GO ANY PLACE IN THE USA--- BUT--- A FEW MONTHS A GO-- WE HAD A STORM & THERE WAS DAMAGE DONE TO THE ROOF-- SO WE PAID TO HAVE A NEW ROOF PUT ON OUR MOTOR HOME--- & WE HAD A ROOF SPRAYED ON THAT HAS A LIFE TIME WARRANTY-- IT IS LIKE THEY SPRAY INTO THE BACK OF TRUCKS TO LINE THE BEDS--- AWESOME-- LOOKS WONDERFUL-- THERE WILL NEVER BE A PROBLEM WITH THAT ROOF EVER AGAIN--- BUT----- WITH MY MCS--- I NOW CAN'T USE THE MOTOR HOME BECAUSE IT WAS A CHEMICAL THEY USED ON THE ROOF--THAT MAKES ME SICK WITH MY MCS---- SO NOW WE NEED TO SELL IT!!! WE HAVE SOOOOO MUCH MONEY INVESTED IN IT-- & IT IS IN WONDERFUL CONDITION--- BUT-- NOW I CAN'T USE IT!!
I KNOW WE ARE TOOO FAR AWAY FROM YOU--- BUT OURS IS IN WONDERFUL CONDITION-- NEW TIRES-- NEW ROOF-- IT HAS A BACK BEDROOM-- SPLIT BATHROOM-- WITH STOOL & SINK ON ONE SIDE & SHOWER ON THE OTHER SIDE-- LOTS OF STORAGE-- ALMOST NEW FRIG. & STOVE WITH OVEN-- DOUBLE SINK-- BOOTH-- THAT MAKES INTO A BED-- OF COARSE THE BED ABOVE THE DRIVER'S SEAT-- WE USED FOR STORAGE-- ETC-- AS YOU AREN'T GETTING ME UP THAT LADDER & TO SLEEP UP THERE ANYMORE!!!! :) IT HAS ONE CHAIR BUILT IN & A COUCH THAT OF COARSE MAKES INTO A BED--- WHEN PEOPLE SAY HOW MANY DOES IT SLEEP--- MY HUSBAND SAYS TWO-- AS THAT IS ALL THAT WAS EVER GOING TO SLEEP IN IT WHEN WE OWN IT!!!! BUT I THINK IT SAYS IT SLEEPS 2 IN THE BEDROOM-- 2 ABOVE THE DRIVERS-- 2 ON THE COUCH THAT MAKES INTO A BED-- & 2 ON THE BOOTH THAT MAKES INTO A BED--- NOW-- I WOULD RATHER SLEEP OUTSIDE ON A ROCK-- IF THAT MANY PEOPLE WERE INSIDE OF THE RV-- BUT!!! :) I THINK OURS IS 28 FT-- I WOULD HAVE TO ASK MY HUSBAND-- ETC--- ALL THOSE QUESTIONS--
I HAVE PICTURES BUT I DON'T REMEMBER HOW TO DO THEM ON HERE ON THIS FORUM--BEEN TOOO LONG SINCE I HAVE BEEN ON HERE----- I GUESS WHAT I AM GOING TO HAVE TO DO -- IS POST THE PICTURES OF OUR RV ON MY BLOG & THEN SEND A LINK TO MY BLOG!!!! OH-- I'LL SHARE THE LINK TO MY BLOG ANY WAY-- http://sondasmcschatter.wordpress.com
BUT AS WE HAVE GOTTEN OLDER OUR NEEDS HAVE CHANGED ALSO-- & WE THINK WHEN WE SELL OUR CLASS C-- WE WANT TO SIZE DOWN TO A CLASS B--- OVER THE YEARS WE HAVE OWNED 5TH WHEELS-- A BUS-- MANY MANY MANY CLASS C'S & TRAVEL TRAILERS-- BUT WE HAVE NEVER OWNED A CLASS B!!!! SO IF ANYONE HAS A CLASS B---- WOULD YA CHIME IN-- ON WHAT YA HAVE-- & WHAT YA LIKE & DON'T LIKE!!!!
EVEN THROUGH I HAVE NOT BEEN ON THIS FORUM-- BETH-- & I HAVE ALWAYS KEPT IN CONTACT WITH EACH OTHER!!!
AND HELLO TO ANYONE WHO REMEMBERS ME--- AS OLIVE OIL!!!!!!!!!!!

SO NOW I AM GOING TO GO READ ANY OF YOUR COMMENTS ON CLASS B'S AS WE HAVE OWNED EVERY OTHER SIZE-- FROM 5TH WHEEL-- TO BUS-- TO ALL SIZES OF CLASS C'S -- TO SMALL VINTAGE TRAVEL TRAILERS-- WE USE TO TOTALLY REMODEL & SELL--- ETC ETC---
WE THINK WHEN WE SELL OUR CLASS C-- WE WANT A CLASS B NOW-- SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I AM INTERESTED IN ALL OF YOUR INPUT- HUBBY HAS LOOKED AT SHNOOKS-- IS THAT RIGHT-- TO ROAD TREKS--- TO YOU NAME IT--- BUT NOT ANYTHING RIGHT IN OUR AREA-- IN OUR PRICE RANGE-- WE DON'T WANT TO SPEND $50, 00-- ON A USED CLASS B-- THANKS EVERYONE----------
oliveoil

Postby MelissaD » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:40 pm

LOL, skimmed through your blog; I feel like Gary at times waiting on Phoenix :lol:

Any chance give some time for the new roof to finish curing that your sensitivity will go away?
MelissaD

Return to Introduce Yourself