Getting Closer Every Day!

Come on in and say hello.

Re: Getting Closer Every Day!

Postby Frannie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:26 am

Thanks so much Melissa for your expert information. I guess we would rather go bigger on the tow vehicle than skimp. You have so much experience with the 5er that we may pick your brain more as we go along our journey. :)

Laura adding information is so appreciated. We are like sponges and really want the womans perspective on what we want to do.

Thanks to all for your comments!
Frannie

Postby cpatinjones » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:13 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby KarenS » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:10 am

Welcome Frannie, I have a 5er toyhauler - 35 ft long and pull it with a Dodge 2500 HD, however I do not use the 5er hitch (have it up for sale) I have a GN (goosenect) hitch but it sits higher than regular GN hitches, and I love it so easy to hook up and much easier to pull than a horse trailer as the tires are towards middle of camper not back at end like a horse trailer. As it is just me though I would love something a little smaller and will probably sell it and my truck and get something smaller since I am not camping as much as I would like but then again you never know about me. Hope to meet you all soon. And I put a dog door in my 5er and have steps for my girls they love their dog door. haha KarenS :D
Karen S, and fur babies- Precious and Little Girl
(big dog in photo is not mine he belongs to Nan in G'ville)
2007 Dodge 2500
Road Warrior 5er Toyhauler
and Micro Lite Flagstaff TT
KarenS

Postby Frannie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:09 am

Hey Ladies!

Well it's been a long few weeks since I posted. Thanks to all for the great responses we got earlier.

We lost another part of the family a couple weeks ago, our beautiful "Big" dog. He was a thirteen year old Lab. Losing two in as many months has been very difficult. But the circle of life goes on.

Well, we did it. Susan and I found the perfect TH! (we think) We found a 2014 Keystone Fuzion in MI for a price we could not pass up. You know, closing out 2014s for 15s. Its now taking up my driveway. We are going to read, read, read, about weights, trucks and so on. The house is going on the market in about three weeks and after it sells, we get the perfect truck. Since it will be late in the year by the time we sell the house and get the truck, we may stay close to home base through the holidays and learn how to drive, park and STOP this 37.7 ' TH. ;) Then the plan is to take off to a beach to begin with, then go where the wind takes us.

We love this TH. The garage will provide lots of room for crafting and bed space for visitors and our four legged family members. We have a very cute and very spoiled " Little" dog and a terrier that needs constant attention now that she has lost her brother and sister. The other four legs belong to "Boss" the cat. He is a cranky 17 year old gray cat and lives to eat and sleep.

Just thought I would give you an update. We will hopefully post pretty regular as we make further progress. Happy Rving!
Frannie

Postby Bethers » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:56 pm

Wonderful update! Exciting news. Keep us posted as you continue! And remember, lots of us on the roads when you get out there!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Frannie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks Beth. I get so excited I can't hardly stand it. Now we can have a place to stay with the four legs while the house is being shown and so on. I'm ready to move in while in the driveway! :lol:
Frannie

Postby MelissaD » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:22 am

:D Which model of 2014 Keystone Fuzion did you get?
MelissaD

Postby cnq50b » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:51 am

So exciting... can't wait to see pics... :D :D :D
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Congratulations. May your plans continue to unfold with only good adventures that bring laughter....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Frannie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:08 pm

Melissa, we got a Fuzion 331. Once I learn how to post pics. you can see her. She looks very Klingon. :lol:
Frannie

Postby cnq50b » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Very cool, Frannie. I couldn't wait so I googled it. Wow!!!! :D
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby Frannie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:12 pm

Ya, we are so excited. Thanks for looking.
Frannie

Postby MelissaD » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:57 pm

http://www.genuinerv.com/2014-keystone- ... tx-i973002

Is this one like yours?

I'd be looking at a diesel dually to pull it. That's a beast of a trailer :lol:

Looks like pin weight is around 23% when the garage is empty. 3015# (hitch dry)/12,700# (dry) = 23.7% 16,500# GVWR x .237 = 3,917# pin weight. I'd also look for a hitch with a 20,000# tow rating. Some trucks come with a 5th wheel prep package ("puck mounts" in bed) or a goose neck hitch installed . The Companion by B&W is a great choice to go with a gooseneck prep package. http://www.turnoverball.com/products/rvhitch

Good luck and enjoy :D
MelissaD

Postby Frannie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:29 am

Hey Melissa

Sorry for the late response. We are feverishly working to get the house on the market.

I saw a 2500, 24 valve turbo D last night. Thought that might do the trick but it wasn't a dully. Are their particular advantages to having a dully. I sorta don't want one but not sure why. :(

We found a great TVA campground on the lake just 20 minutes from hear. Nice quiet spots spaced out well. We may try to go there for the remainder of time till the house sells. Just need to work out the logistics. :roll: In case Its not obvious, we are going full time. Any gals out there full-timing???
Frannie

Postby MelissaD » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:21 am

You will need a 3500/F350 to be able to carry the pin weight of that trailer.

If you open the driver's door on the truck there will be a sticker on the door column which states the GVWR. Since with that trailer you need to be able to carry about 4,000# in the bed (rough math) and the truck will weight about 8,000# with you, passengers, fuel and stuff for the trip, you are looking for a GVWR of 12,000# and higher which means a 3500/F350 truck. The newer 3500/F350 with SRW's may be able to handle that but the older ones will not. The DRW or dually's GVWR will be higher and a more stable towing platform than the SRW (single rear wheels).

A 2500/F250 won't be able to tow that weight let a lone be able to support the pin or hitch weight.

I know in the 2014 Ford's
F250's are 10,000# GVWR
F350's SRW vary but max out around 11,500# and the DRW max out at 14,000# GVWR
MelissaD

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself