Introducing myself: CarolS

Come on in and say hello.

Re: Introducing myself: CarolS

Postby cnq50b » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:42 pm

Nice to hear from you, CarolS.

I'm not real experienced on fulltiming but the first thing I would do (if you're old enough ;) ) is to get a Senior Interagency America the Beautiful pass - here's the link to their website http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm. You have to be 62 - which is a time of rejoicing for many of us - but as a senior, you'll pay 50% at most of their campgrounds which include corp of engineer campgrounds. I can't get to their link to all the sites - but all I know is my favorite camping site is a corp of engineer campground & I love using it (costs me $10 instead of $20/night). Also you can get this at many federal recreation sites. I couldn't find mine when I wanted to see the grand canyon. The lady at the entrance said it was cheaper for me to buy another one (at $10) than to pay the entry fee. It was quick & easy.

The other thing that has helped me on trips is Allstays camping app (i use it on my iPad - but I see it is also available for PCs). I believe Liz recommended it quite a while back. it allows you to scout out possible campgrounds - you can look for something close to where you are or you can move it to the area you hope to be in by evening. It has a link to recommendations by campers (which also shows what they paid), a brief description of the campground & a link to their website (if they have one). It costs 9.95 but was well worth it.

I boondocked on my last long trip some -usually at truck stops. While I have a generator, if it was hot enough that I needed a/c, I opted for a campground instead & used their electricity. What was pretty neat in some states was they had dumping stations at rest areas. KS doesn't, but MN & WA did. Not sure about other states.

The more experienced crew will chime in shortly... but maybe these ideas help a little.
Oh & by the way, GTG means Get Together - Check out the Get-together category & see if you can meet up with some of these fine ladies. We have one in KS in Sept if you're interested.

Good luck with the fridge and don't be a stranger. This group can answer most any question you can come up with.
Take care, Catherine
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Re: Introducing myself: CarolS

Postby longdog2 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:48 pm

Very good advice you just received. Also, consider Passport America. At $44/year, it will get you half price camping at about 1800 campgrounds across the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. Each park sets it's own rules when you can use it. Many are Sunday through Thursday with one or two nights during their busier seasons while others allow longer stays with no restrictions. In any case, a couple of nights camping will pay for the annual cost.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself