I'm about a month away from full-timing!

Come on in and say hello.

I'm about a month away from full-timing!

Postby Kalamazookim » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi! My name is Kim and I'm from Kalamazoo, MI. As soon as we close on selling my house, I will be hitting the road full-time in my 27 foot FB Airstream Classic. My cat, Walter, will be joining me. At least, that's what I keep telling him! I guess he an always vote with his paws - although I hope he doesn't!

I retired in 2010 after a 30 year career in elementary education. I have this lovely, large house that I bought for my parents and me to live in. Mom passed away in 2001, and Dad passed away last July. I decided that I really didn't want to spent all my time and money keeping up this big house - when what I really wanted to do was travel. I was looking at alternatives, and decided to spend four or five years on the road and see the lower 48. I might even make it to Alaska, although Hawaii is out. (Good thing I have already been there!)

My trailer is at the dealer in Ohio, so I am trying to figure out the logistics of how to connect with it. I am signed up for the RV Boot Camp and the Escapade in Indiana at the beginning of May.

I am a little leery of towing the trailer. Getting used to the Ram 2500 Long bed with crew cab has been interesting enough. But, I figure, if it can be learned, I can learn it! I am looking forward to meeting all of you!
Kalamazookim

Re: I'm about a month away from full-timing!

Postby Bethers » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:15 pm

Welcome, Kim. What an exciting road you're about to travel. As to pulling the trailer, the old adage " where there's a will, there's a way" is apt. You can definitely do it. Glad to have you with us.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby IrishIroamed » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:20 am

Welcome Kzoo Kim from Illinois. Airstreams are the iconic American trailer (to me). Have fun in your travels & keep us posted on your whereabouts.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby MelissaD » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:31 am

Hoosier welcome. :P Kalamazoo is about 2 hours from us :lol:

Sounds like you have a good truck to pull that trailer. The dealer should be able to get you set up right, the rest is just a little practice to build your confidence. Empty parking lots are great as they have lines so you can tell how your doing and lots of room.

Best of luck in you new adventure. Check out the Get Together page and maybe we'll se you down the road.
MelissaD

Postby Queen » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:37 am

Could have sworn I replied to this! Anyhoo, welcome to the forum!!

LOVE Airstreams, wonderful classic rigs, enjoy!!
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am

Welcome to the Forum, Kim and Walter!
We'll look forward to getting to know you better.
mitch5252

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:44 am

Welcome to the forum. You have a basic already figured out already! "If I need to learn a new skill, I can do that!" :)

Heading off to the Escapee's Rally for Boot Camp also is wonderful timing. You will learn all sorts of useful information and meet many friendly folks that are doing their version of your dreams. There is so much diversity out there...in people, in the rigs they drive, how they travel, how they camp. When I went (years ago :roll: ) it helped give me confidence to know that between common sense and safety stuff a lot is personal opinion. You get to choose and through experience learn what works for you. :) Have fun and share your journey here if you have time!
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:22 am

Welcome Kim and Walter from Texas. You have the right attitude: If I need to learn it, I can. With that you can do anything.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Kalamazookim » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks for the welcomes! I look forward to meeting you all on the road!

I think I'd better go eliminate half of what I have left and start packing...
Kalamazookim

Postby Rufflesgurl » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:38 pm

Kim - welcome to you Walter from the central coast of CA. You've got great adventures ahead - enjoy!!

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby WickedLady » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:00 pm

Hey, Kim! Welcome from WA state.
WickedLady

Postby cpatinjones » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:26 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby Colliemom » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi Kim, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of good information, laughs and what not on here. I'm up in Gaylord. See that you are getting a new trailer. I am on my second one. If you want to take a "shakedown" trip with your trailer to get used to it, come on up north here and maybe I can meet you and help you out some. Just PM me on here if you want, anytime.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby avalen » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:04 pm

Welcome Kim, your in for some exciting times and I'm looking forward to your posts of the places your going to see. You'll get all kinds of help and motivation here. Someday, certainly in the wintertime, I'm sure you'll make it down to the Southwest and when you do, I'll be here :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby KatIndi » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:04 am

Hi fellow Kalamazoo!!

Since it's now Labor Day weekend, and u may have been full-timing since June! Is it everything u think it would be? Better?!! :D

It's also my dream and I hope to realize it next year when I retire...already bought a 2004 37' Arrow Pace. (my third RV, first was 22' TT realized it's too small once we got a black lab, so moved to 27' doghouse TT one slide-out :lol: , now the even bigger doghouse the Arrow Pace with three slide-outs! I've moved up! :lol: )
KatIndi

Return to Introduce Yourself