Joining from Northern VA

Come on in and say hello.

Joining from Northern VA

Postby ride2eat2ride » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:40 pm

So glad to have found this forum! I'm thinking about full or partial retirement and using a conversion van (which I don't have yet) to travel the country and look for interesting places to eventually settle down. I've been doing a lot of reading and dreaming but the time to start getting rid of household contents and getting a vehicle is now!
My first love is bicycling, so I hope to travel from event to event riding all over our beautiful country.

Here's what I've been thinking:

I'm thinking about moving from occasional tent camping out of my prius to longer trips around the country (up to a couple of months) and I'm pondering moving to a camping van (or maybe truck).
Since I haven't done this before, I've thought the best way might be to start with a minimal conversion and then learn on the road what additional amenities I might want.
Do you think this is a practical approach? I don't own a van, so would purchase a new or used cargo or mini van to start. I was thinking if it turns out I don't enjoy it, then it would be easier to sell a minimally converted van, than a pickup and a camper shell. Also, I feel like a van conversion would be less obviously a camper which would be useful for times when in cities or other non-campground locations.

here's a description of how it will be used:
1 person traveling
1 bicycle that I would like to carry/store inside if at all possible
will use showers/restrooms in campgrounds or community centers, etc.
working on laptop up to 8 hrs on non-travel work days (could require continuous internet connection during work periods), other days intermittent internet is fine.
spring/summer/fall weather travel only, nothing below 40.
will be able to afford to stay in a motel occasionally.
3-6 day stays in a location with 1-3 days travel between. (no problem setting up a tent and/or bug house for the longer stays, but don't want to have to do it every night when on the move)
Exploring both small city and rural environments

After some reading and thought, here's what I think I need/want to start out:
Ventilation and insulation (can I get by without an a/c?)
Ability to stand upright,change clothes, stretch, etc.
Power for laptop, lights, electric kettle, (fridge)?. solar? what other options?
Some sort of seat/desk for working, reading, etc
Option to sleep comfortably in vehicle without exiting. (so, if a pop-up, also room to sleep with it closed.)
To start I'll only be carrying/cooling a small amount of food (yogurt,salad greens,cheese, fruit), but I don't think I want to deal with ice..
convenient storage for clothes, bike gear, etc.
Security/privacy

I already own from tent camping:
a 2 burner propane camping stove (and a kelly kettle for fairly quick water boiling)
camping pad and sleeping bag
very small tent
bug house (but not one that is easy for me to put up myself)
rolling cooler (but not very high quality..ice melts quickly)
folding 5 gallon water container with spigot

thoughts, ideas? Does it make sense to have some minimal conversion done to a van and then incrementally add complexity as I go? Are the initial items things that I can get done fairly easily by any 'van conversion' place or do I need to find someone who specifically does camping conversions?
Are there things I'm leaving out of the minimal requirements that you think I'm crazy to not include?

am I nuts?
ride2eat2ride

Re: Joining from Northern VA

Postby longdog2 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:53 pm

You would be interested in Cudedog's posts, here's the first one:

http://www.womenrv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11090

You will find the others (I think 5 with same name numbered in order) by clicking on "Board index", then "Show off your rigs". Scroll through the topic posts and you will see them.

She did a van to fit her needs.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby IrishIroamed » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:05 pm

Welcome from Illinois. Planning is part of the fun. Looks like you're thinking of all the important things.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby MelissaD » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:20 pm

Hoosier Welcome :P

Probably just cheaper to buy a used class B and if you don't like it sell it. If you bought a couple years old and sold it after a year (didn't like it) you could probably make most your money back. Otherwise you'll probably spend more money constantly modifying your van and never get everything you want.

Good luck with your adventure.
MelissaD

Postby avalen » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:32 pm

welcome :D
Cudedog did a great job on her van and I did one once too before the days of my fifthwheel. I loved it and it suited me just fine. I did
have to trade it for a good vehicle as the old van had a mechanical problem that was not repairable. Living without ac I guess depends
on where you are parked and what type of temps you like. I didn't have ac in my van but I lived in it all summer in Colorado. Temps
were fine but in AZ, no way, it just gets too hot here in the summer.
oh,,,,and no, you are not nuts. I'm sure each one of us has our own special reasons why we like this lifestyle.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Kathy5853 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Hello and Welcome from Arlington.

I am four years away from retirement and have considering testing the waters with some type of conversion van that will not break the bank. I want to do weekend trips and mini vacations to see if this is the lifestyle for me. I am looking for a minimal conversion set up with my priorities being a permanant bed set up, a port a potty and basic solar power. I have been looking at the Nissan NV 2500 or NV 3500 high top. Would have to insulate and maybe add a floor but then adding a bed and storage should not be too much effort. Cooking is not a priority for me so a basic camping stove is all I would need. I also would prefer not to carry any propane in the van.

Thanks.

Kathy
Kathy5853

Postby Deeann » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:42 am

Wow. Let's see.....

You want to be able to stand upright.
You want power.
You need a comfy place to sit for 8 hours for working on the net.
You want a comfy place to sleep.
You want to store a bicycle inside.

You can't stand upright in a van. You'll have to have a power converter installed. You still need a comfy chair and bed. And I don't know where you would be able to put a bicycle in a van and have much room left. And air conditioning, heat and ventilation will be a necessity. An uninsulated metal van that has been sitting in the sun will be unbearable in the summer.

If you can do the van conversion yourself like Cudedog did, they you might be able to get something going. If you have to pay someone to do all of the conversion it will be way too expensive and it will not be easy to find someone who knows how to do all of that kind of thing. I think you would be better off with a ready-made rv. It will have heat, A/C, insulation, beds, chairs, refrigerator, and everything you need. And it will be cheaper than trying to throw something together yourself.

I sold my travel trailer last year and will now be camping in my truck (fiberglass shell on the back). It's fast and easy camping but it doesn't have all the nice things that an rv has. I built a bed in the back and it's very comfy but it's a far cry from an rv.

If you aren't sure what you want or need yet, try renting an rv or a van for a week and take a short trip. This should help you make up your mind.

Good luck!
Deeann

Postby ride2eat2ride » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:19 am

Kathy, I've been thinking about a Nissan NV 2500 hightop myself. Have you been inside one yet? What do you think of the headroom?
How do you plan to cook without the propane? Will you have enough battery from the solar to power a hot plate? I suppose you could start with an alcohol camping stove if you're not doing much more than heating water or soup.
I'm hoping to get a professional to do my ventilation/insulation and power setup and then figure the rest out myself to start.
ride2eat2ride

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:27 am

For the cost of a conversion van and adding whatever you need you would be able to buy a used Class B like a Roadtrek. Then you would have everything you need including a bathroom, kitchen and bed. I bought mine over the internet from www.vantasticvans.com. Was totally happy with the service and even paid to have them bring it to me in Texas from Albuquerque, NM. Just remember the price they list on their website is negotiable. I bought a 1999 Roadtrek with 100,000 miles on it BUT I was only the second owner and it came with all the service records from the original owner. It now has 112,080 miles and going strong.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:55 am

I recommend that you research and actually walk around inside some units, take every chance you can to see how others use their spaces.....use your imagination on how you would use it. Starting out in a smaller used RV of one kind or another could save you investing a pile of money converting something that in the end doesn't fit your needs. Especially if you need and want a comfortable sitting/work area in order to keep up with computer work. And no matter how good our imaginations are, when you actually get out on the road and start experiencing traveling first hand, it is difficult to realize how all the pieces and parts come together and which ones suddenly become much more important to you than you initially considered..... :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Kathy5853 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:52 pm

Hey,

Have not been inside the Nissan yet. Only did a walk around when the dealership was closed. On youTube they look pretty roomy. I want a robust solar system so I do not need any type of "gas" in the van. I would use a small portable induction cooktop. I do not use an oven in my real life and all I would need is the ability to heat up one pot items, soup, etc, and hot water. I think I want more of an industrial look to the inside. A "rubber type" floor that can handle dirt or cat hair and easy to clean. Some of the metal shelving that comes available from the dealership is appealing to me. This is not intended to be my full time home but a durable, easy to maintain camping vehicle. I do not want to think about mechanical issues so something relative new or brand new is my preference. I only wish these vehicles came in 4 wheel drive or had a bit more clearance.

Really fun to dream and plan.

Kathy
Kathy5853

Postby ride2eat2ride » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:09 pm

I found this link to a comparison of the current US cargo van models. Very helpful. http://cargovanconversion.com/cargo-van ... sons-intro
also, I got a quote for a 'mini' conversion (insulation/fatntastic vent/ power stuff but no solar) and hit a bit of sticker shock (approx $9,000).

I'm rethinking. I think I'll upgrade my camping equipment some and start out with a non-modified van (either cargo or with rear seats remove) and some portable solar power and batteries. (just starting to read about these 'suitcase' solar setups. One benefit of the portable solar is that the vehicle can stay parked in the shade.

Then, maybe along the way I can meet someone who did a great job on their own van conversion and wants to earn some money doing mine :D
ride2eat2ride

Postby MelissaD » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:29 pm

http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/class-b-motorhomes/13/

http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/nv-cargo?tool=global.nv.link

Just something to ponder. The Nissan NV your interested in starts around $26,000. For the same money you can find a Class B or small C in great shape that's ready to live in. Sometimes it's not cheaper to do it yourself. Set the money you save back for repairs.

The thing about shopping RV's is you seldom end up where you thought you were going. As you learn, you need to adapt your original assumptions.

Best of luck. :D
MelissaD

Postby Bethers » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:30 pm

And make sure you understand what you want solar to do. Robust would mean a large size battery pack which takes up space. I love solar and don't ever want to be without it again, but no matter how much you charge the batteries, when the sun goes down any usage drains them, requiring many batteries if " robust". I had 4 batteries and could use the microwave for very short bursts only during sunny days while the sun was shining.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Introduce Yourself