Considering fulltiming

Come on in and say hello.

Considering fulltiming

Postby Freedom3333 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:37 am

Hi All,
I am so happy I found this forum :D . I have been interested in rving off and on for 12 years but have never done it, short of spending a few nights in a friend's rv. I am considering going fulltime with my little dog but would need a decent sized RV as I would be working from it. I know I can do it, but I would have to learn how. I also wish I could know if I would like it or not before committing to it :roll: . I've been considering of an A class with a toad but don't kow if that's my best bet.
Looking forward to connecting with you all!
Lynn
Freedom3333

Re: Considering fulltiming

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:45 am

Welcome, Lynn...
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby IrishIroamed » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:04 am

Hi Lynn - welcome from Illinois. Ask a bunch of questions & read some of the threads. They ladies here are great for answering questions.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby MelissaD » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:34 am

Hoosier Welcome :P

You can rent an RV for a vacation and try that out but rentals a very expensive. You could buy a used unit as a learning tool, make a few trips to see how you like it and ten you'll know what you want in your full timer rig. Last choice and the one I normally make, is to do your research and then just jump in with both feet aka sink or swim method :lol:

Once again welcome and feel free to ask questions.
MelissaD

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:00 am

Welcome to the forum. As you probably have already figured out from some of the responses there is no way someone else can tell you that your decision is right for you. But in a way, knowing that, is also freeing you to look at the different types of rigs and combinations with an open, creative, imaginative mind. At some point you will need to be able to just take a leap of faith and jump in. Worst thing that happens is that you decide to trade in what you have for what you really want after you have made it down the road a while. It isn't that we make a mistake but given more experience and more first hand knowledge we make different decisions. :roll: :lol:

The more you research and actually walk in and out of different floor plans the more you will find some peace in what you pick. Many folks sometimes have one sort of vehicle in mind until they "meet" their new home and find themselves moving in another direction. Have fun with the "hunt" it is all part of the journey.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby cpatinjones » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:21 am

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:34 am

Welcome Lynn. Most of us have purchased more than one RV. I started with a 19' Class B van. Traded it for a 30' Class C and towed a car. Fulltimed and workamped for three years then decided I was tired of fulltiming so sold and bought a 19' Roadtrek van that I can drive like a truck. Just remember when looking for your first rig that you also have to drive whatever you choose as well as live in it. I got tired of driving 30' of rig plus a car and wanted the freedom of a smaller rig. Also remember that if you buy new, you'll be upside down in it for several years. My Roadtrek had 100,000 miles on it when I bought it BUT I was only the second owner and I was given all the previous owners notes about maintenance he had done.

And remember, looking is half the fun. Lay on the beds, sit on toilet, stand in shower, sit on sofa and watch TV (some rigs the sofa is sideways to the TV and your neck won't thank you), check out the cupboards. Is there some sort of nightstand by the bed to put your glasses, or water or???

Enjoy the process of looking.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Freedom3333 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:17 am

What a warm welcome, thank you everyone.

Birdbybird, do you drive and hook up your 5th wheel rig by yourself? I like the 5th wheels but they seem like they'd be hard to do alone.

Thanks again,
Freedom3333

Postby longdog2 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:59 am

Birdbybird has the shortbus but MelissaD, Carolyn, Sheila, and I all have 5th wheels. I'm sure I am leaving out some others. And yes, we do it ourselves. It takes brains not brawn and 5th wheels tow so well.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby Freedom3333 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:25 pm

thanks longdog2...I now see I was looking at the rig above her post and it was Melissa's rig not birdtobirds.

I am so inspired that many of you pull 5th wheels...I have no idea what to get but I have a little dog who likes to get her exercise playing with toys inside so she needs room and I run a buisness from my home so I need more room than some might need.
Freedom3333

Postby avalen » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Welcome :D
I have a 29 ft fifthwheel that I lived in for 4 years in the same spot, I don't have a truck to tow it. It was plenty roomy for me and 3 dogs.
I loved it, and actually I KNOW I love small spaces. Its been in storage now for 3 years and soon to come out and get set back up again
where I will once again be living in it full time, at least for the next 3 years until my full retirement. I just might buy a truck in the meantime
to tow it but that decision hasn't been made yet. I'm still leaning on a class C, around 26 ft. I'm down to one dog now and most likely will keep it that way but hey, ya never know when one will adopt me.
Shopping for an rv is so much fun and we love to go with you virtually of course. I've been shopping for 3 years :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby MelissaD » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:43 pm

I've watched people hook up weight distribution hitches (WD Hitch on large Travel Tarialers) and I think the 5th wheel is much easier. If you can back up, you can hookup a 5th wheel. The legs(jacks) are electric or hydraulic so if you can flip a switch you got that covered. Some 5er's even level themselves with the flip of a switch like the big class A's. My next one will have the 6 point auto level on it :lol:

There are pros and cons to each style so it depends upon how you want to use it. We tend to travel a day or two and sit for a week so the 5er works good for us. If we moved every day or two I'd probably look at a class A.

None of it's rock science and as you learn things you find out just how easy most of it is. Just like walking, one step (lesson) at a time and you'll be good to go. ;)
MelissaD

Postby Freedom3333 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Thanks Melissa and Ava!

I am not sure that I'd be moving too much, possibily only 2 - 4 times a year for now...I am Canadian and would stay in AZ all year if I could but I have to spend 6 month out of the country. It would be ideal for me to get a 5th wheel in each place and have it moved off the lot and stored when I'm gone and then moved back on the lot when I return. The I wouldn't need a truck.

Ava, did you keep your 5er in the Scottsdale area? Do you know any nice parks there? I would like to be in the PHX or Tucson area because of weather. I just went down and checked out Yuma and Quartzite for next year but not sure it's my cup of tea....I think a park near immenities is perfect.

PS I will probably be looking at RVs in the Phoenix area, do you have any places to recoomend?
Freedom3333

Return to Introduce Yourself