Hi everyone!!

Come on in and say hello.

Hi everyone!!

Postby Riafromnj » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:40 pm

My name is Maria and I am very new to this. My plan is to research and learn as much as I can about RV life and full-time workamping. I have started to downsize my possesions as the first step toward this dream. I have been an RN for about 20 years and I am looking forward to a lifestyle change. At this point, I plan to travel solo with a dog or two. I appreciate any advice, guidance, and encouragement you have to offer. I will be reading posts to get a hang of this stuff.
Maria
Riafromnj

Re: Hi everyone!!

Postby Cougarfan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:31 pm

Welcome to the forum! What part of the country are you in? Check out the get-together (gtg) topic in the board index. There just might be a gtg near you depending on where you're at.

Ask any question you want. Someone on here will probably have the answer. If not, someone will make one up for you :D

Laura
Cougarfan

Postby IrishIroamed » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:16 am

Hi Maria from Illinois. I'm in the same stage as you are looking at all types, figuring out what I want and driving the ladies here nuts sometimes with questions. They're great for answering questions because there is a very diverse group here, full-timers, weekenders, vacationers, some alone or with pets (including a husband :D ) and other family members.

Have fun on your hunt and keep us up with the progress you've made.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby MelissaD » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:59 am

Hoosier Welcome :D
MelissaD

Postby WickedLady » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Welcome, Maria, from WA state. Don't be shy about asking questions. That's what this place is good for.
WickedLady

Postby Bethers » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:06 pm

Welcome. I'm taking from your post that you don't want to continue nursing? Because you could travel lots of great places as a traveling nurse, if you did stick with it. But there are also lots of workamping jobs of many types. I couldn't be doing this without them.

Glad to have you with us.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby VickieP » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Welcome to the forum, Maria.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Rufflesgurl » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:23 pm

Maria - welcome from the central coast of CA. Good luck in your search.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby cpatinjones » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:12 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:35 pm

A Texas welcome to you.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby avalen » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:09 am

welcome from Arizona
You'll learn alot from searching through old posts when it comes to deciding what type rv you want and how to outfit it. Post often
and don't be afraid to ask questions. No questions is stupid here, we've all started somewhere. :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Riafromnj » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:40 am

Wow! Thank you for all the welcome messages! You ladies are very kind. Thank you for letting me be a part of your forum.
Someone asked where I am living. Right now I am in Minnesota (for the past 14 years).
I wanted to share this will all of you....My first RV show! It was very exciting. I am really liking the 5th wheel style. They are amazing inside. Some have an outside flat screen t.v! electric fireplaces!
Question: Is it difficult to drive while towing such a heavy object (the home). Is this something I can learn to do safely?
I have much research ahead...this is so fun!
Riafromnj

Postby Othersharon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Hi Maria. Aren't the RV shows great!? I went to my first one in Sept in Hersey and wow, amazing! My son was looking at BIG ones for his family and I was looking at much, much smaller ones for me. I have a class B that I just love but sometimes almost wish for a little more space or goodies. Then I have to just sit and list all the reasons I like my B and I'm over that! But it is fun to look. And from what I have read here these gals love to shop for RVs! I'm thinking part of the fun is the hunt for what's right for each of us and bouncing those ideas around. Happy hunting!
Othersharon

Postby MelissaD » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:02 pm

Like with everything there is a learning curve. Likewise there are advantages to each RV type. Truck stops around 2 pm are often pretty empty in the back. Lots of room to practice and nice lines on the ground.

I prefer the 5th wheel. Since I drive a semi the 5th wheel (5er) is very similar.

The way a 5er carries the hitch weight is up over the rear axle where it belongs. A TT carries it on the bumper several feet behind the rear axle. This means you need weight distribution hitches and anti-sway bars to compensate.

Since a 5er comes up over the bed of the pickup you can have a longer trailer with the same overall length.

I find it easier to back 5er than a TT but I have more experience backing 5th wheel mounted trailers due to work.

Downside you lose storage space in the bed of your truck. You also need a larger truck to carry the hitch weight of the 5er. TT is 10-15% hitch weight and a 5er is 20-25%. Mine runs around 22% so a 12,000# trailer means I have a 3,640# hitch weight. The new pickups (post 2006) are more capable. Much depends upon the size of the 5er you want. Most trucks run out of payload (how much hitch weight they can carry) before they run out of tow capacity.

Feel free to ask questions.
MelissaD

Return to Introduce Yourself