Hello From Kansas

Come on in and say hello.

Hello From Kansas

Postby SnowGypsy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:05 am

I am 61 year old hoping to full-time in a tiny trailer which I am working on selecting. I am very familiar with RVs in general having had a few over the last 30 years. I'm trying to choose something small enough that I won't have to downsize. I do have one dog that will go with me, Rinnie a 10 year old with an outgoing personality. My biggest challenge right now in getting on the road is that I have an adult son, 29 years old with Down syndrome. At the point of "will he come?' "should he come?" etc. He is lower functioning but extremely healthy so am working hard to resolve that issue. If we find an appropriate program, he'll go into it and otherwise, come with mama. I can handle this.

I am looking at the smallest of units even the larger teardrops, others like the molded fiberglass eggs, and more "adventurous types". I am a "camper" at heart and not an "RVer". I love to be outside and like the COE, state and county parks. I like the challenge involved in living small and being a minimalist.

I just recently found this forum, so haven't done much reading but intend to. Thank you for being here and sharing.
SnowGypsy

Re: Hello From Kansas

Postby MelissaD » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:05 pm

Hoosier Welcome :D

I use to be more of a "camper" but as life has caught up, I've become an "RVer". 8-) We have 2 adults and a 5 year old grandbaby in ours. We still enjoy the friends sitting around the campfire but there are times we need the A/C or heat and I really enjoy my shower. The camper also helps meet certain medical needs of my partner. I'm sure your son's needs should he travel with you be taken into account. There is such an abundance of choice on the market these days there's a "camper" for everyone's wants and/or needs.

Once again welcome.
MelissaD

Postby Bethers » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:30 pm

I'm some kind of combination... Never was a true camper, but prefer the woodsy more secluded places and to be in the great outdoors. Keep us updated on what you get, etc. We love going through the process over and over again.

Welcome and hope to meet you on the road.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MandysMom » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:12 pm

Welcome Snowgypsy. We also have a disabled son we have to take into account. Will be following to hear what you choose.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:22 pm

There is a reason that rigs come in so many shapes and sizes and with different features. Just look in as many as you can even ones that you don't think you want. If small suits all you needs go for it, just don't be intimidated be any of the other combinations. As you have past experience, you have more knowledge of how space can be used. ....For full time imagine how you will use the space through a series of rainy days. :) Have fun shopping and planning.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Rufflesgurl » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:34 pm

SnowGypsy - Welcome to the forum from N. Central CA. Good luck finding just the right RV/camper for you.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby chalet05 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:17 pm

Welcome! I'm full time and have family near Abilene and Manhattan.
Anita
chalet05

Postby snowball » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:16 pm

welcome and I'm by not means a minimalist! :lol: I full time but actually at the moment am living with my daughter as my truck broke down ..I choose not to put more money into it so am waiting it out till I find what suits my needs best...I fluctuate lots...depending upon who is encouraging me ...that said lots to look at especially with a son that may or may not travel with you or if you find the appropriate living situation for him will he ever travel with you? that might be something to consider as well ...good luck in finding what is best for you and yours
sheila
snowball

Postby SnowGypsy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Thanks, everyone! I am in a "whatever it takes to get the job done". My son seems to want to move on with his life which I am happy for if we can find the right situation for him. He is very stubborn, like me, even the dog is stubborn. I seek "adventure". Traveled and moved around but fell into a slump the last few years. I became interested in full-timing when we had moved to AZ for a few years since we met so many people that full-timed or who were snowbirding. We were also in AL for a couple of years and met others there. I listened to all of their stories and I was sold. I have been waiting for 35 years to be able to do this. Gosh, that's a long time!
SnowGypsy

Postby WickedLady » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:58 pm

Good luck in finding your way to your happy place.
WickedLady

Postby IrishIroamed » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:58 am

Welcome from Illinois. Sorry I'm a little late to your welcome party. I just bought a 19' TT last year, so I'm labeling myself a newbie, because I have no idea yet if I'm a camper or an RVer. :D
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby avalen » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:45 am

Welcome :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:55 am

Welcome, SnowGypsy. We're glad you joined us.

I hope you find the absolute perfect solution for you and your son and get working on those adventures.
Adventures are the stuff goose-bumps are made of! :)

mitch5252

Postby cnq50b » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:04 am

Welcome! from a fellow Kansas gal...
I'm from Overland Park KS - hanging out in sunny CA for the past few months with my newest grand baby. Trying to decide where I want to be when I grow up ... I'm currently in KS to reconnect with work & family here - but heading back out to LA on Wed.
I'm NOT a camper - I prefer to have a solid roof over my head.
I'm sure you'll find a perfect set up for you & your son- heck, you've already found the greatest group of ladies to bounce ideas off of. This is an amazing group of smart, talented, adventurous gals - sounds like you're going to fit right in. :)
Hope to meet you down the road.
Catherine
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby Othersharon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:26 am

Welcome from PA. Hope you find what makes you happy and you can begin your adventure!
Othersharon

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself